Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been on here for a couple of weeks. I have had my hands full with Baby Secret.

Christmas morning everything started out as normal. I let the dogs open their own presents. Secret was not quite certain what this was all about but she was perfectly happy to run around the house with her still wrapped toy.

About half an hour after having her breakfast - she got sick. Ok no big deal... I let her stomach rest for about half an hour then gave her a little bit more food. About an hour later she got sick again - drank a ton of water and did not keep that down either.

So I gave her some chewable Pepto and limited her water to frequent small drinks. It seemed like things were going well - she was even begging for food when we had dinner. I held back on her food because she had been sick......

Then at 7pm she threw up again - this time there was a little stuffing ! Off we went to the E-Vet. I spent most of the night at the local evet and then had to take her up to Tacoma in the AM, as my vet had taken that Monday off as well.

The bottom line - EVet surgery to remove the suspected (Actual) obstruction. I am glad we did it even though the xrays were not definitive. If we had waited any longer she would have probably lost a section of small intestine.

$3600 and two weeks later she is doing great...........
But it has been a long two weeks keeping a drivey 5 month old Doberman confined to crate rest!

We think she ate the batting out of a comforter. It is one of those things.
We never saw her eat it - just found a small rip in the comforter the day before.

We will be staying away from any type of rope toy and no stuffed toys for her right now.. . KONGS are our friend.

Sue

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Oh for dog's sake- poor baby!:( Vibes for Secret and glad you caught it early.

·
Super Cute Holly
227 Posts
oh my gosh! I hope she is ok. . And heals properly no damage at all. . These stories scare the . . Outta me! It can happen so easily! And i dont know what i would do. . If anything happen to my girls! Im just glad she is ok. . :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Glad to hear she is donig well, my Nexus went through 2 obstructions and nearly lost her from the second! They are so scary. Minus 20 inches of intestine later Nexus is a healthy although smaller girl, we have to watch her to make sure she doesnt eat anything else. So glad you caught Secrets problem early and all turned out well for her.

Reactions: stardstdob

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I am also so glad she is doing well. What a time huh. Secret is very fortunate you are her owner and took care of this so promptly. Bless both your hearts.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have a friend @ the E vet in Olympia right now with a 5mo golden that vomited up a sock but got dehydrated and is not doing well...I am glad Secret is healing
Claudia
Yikes - The E-Vet here in Olympia is good but only open after hours. I Think they close at 7am, at least on weekdays.

That is why I had to take Secret to Tacoma in the AM. I probably would have done it anyway since I know Secret is VWD Affected (DNA no sign of clinical bleeding) But I wanted her surgery to be somewhere that had bood readily available. I also paid for extra testing like blood typing and a BMBT test- and kept her there an extra day just because. Sometimes the VWD problems show up a little after the surgery if you are going to have them. But we had no issues with that at all.

Did they put your friends dog on fluids?

If they have to move their dog to Tacoma, I have traditionally gone to the clinic on Durango, and the Olympia clinic is affiliated with them so thats where they refer you if they need to send to a larger clinic. But I am told there is one on Pacific now, and a lot of the vets who used to be at Durango have gone there. Most of my Doberman friends in Pierce County are are now going to the Pacific Av clinic (for what its worth). I will probably try try the Pacific Av clinic if I need one in the future.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
So glad that baby Secret is doing better now!

Jan

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes fluids and another over nite stay...he is not eating or drinking again...I don't know for sure which e-vet they are using but I will tell them about Durango
thanks for the info. I think they will end up with surgery I will tell them about the Pacific ave clinic. They are a young couple first dog and totally in luv with Yukon
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just talked to them and Yukon is at Pacific clinic and in surgery. They discovered a small corner of his crate pad had been chewed and foam is missing! The barium must of gone thru the foam instead of pushing it out. Oh vay

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just talked to them and Yukon is at Pacific clinic and in surgery. They discovered a small corner of his crate pad had been chewed and foam is missing! The barium must of gone thru the foam instead of pushing it out. Oh vay
Prayers on the way for Yukon!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
So glad to hear Secret is feeling better!!! An obstruction is my biggest fear with Tango. Luckily he has gotten better with age, but I still keep my eyes on him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yukon came home today. The surgeon found a chuck of cow hoof in his stomach. They threw that bag of stuff away!!! He is on the mend and I praised them for catching this
early.
TY Sue

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yukon came home today. The surgeon found a chuck of cow hoof in his stomach. They threw that bag of stuff away!!! He is on the mend and I praised them for catching this
early.
TY Sue
Great! glad they got him in!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Glad to hear the troublemaker is doing well. Has she been released from solitary confinement yet??? I bet Storm will be happy to have her mini me back :)

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Wishing Secret a speedy recovery!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts