Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad that I trust DT more than my vet? :(

Saturday morning Rowan woke me up early with all of this licking. I was half asleep and on foster puppy duty so I didn't make much of it until yesterday when I noticed him obsessively licking again. I checked his feet and the skin looked red and when I pulled apart his toes I could see a line with skin looking almost raw or like an abrasion of some sort. Every paw was the same.

He continued licking and did not seem to enjoy me messing with them. He would occasionally whine or groan at one of his legs/paws and sometimes bite at them. Being Memorial day I didn't take him to the vet right away, but I gave him some benadryl in case he was having some kind of allergies and since he seemed to be itchy. I also tried to soak them in epsom salt to give him some relief. He seemed to feel a little better, but would be back at it when the Benadryl wore off. I'm not sure if it was really helping or just sedating him enough to stop.

Anyway, SO took him to the vet today and they said it doesn't look like allergies because the spots are straight lines (kind of in between the toes, going from the big pad out toward the toe pads), matching on all 4 paws. The vet said it looked like maybe he jumped and landed so hard that it split his feet? SO said the vet told him he even pulled in another vet to take a look and thats what they came up with.

Now...should note that I am a control freak and this vet is new to me starting with Rowan. I have not always trusted their opinion, although there is one vet who I like a lot. (She was of course not working today!). I also am one of those who googles and reads everything I can about stuff, which is not always the best idea ;)

The vet said they like to use some sort of alcohol spray that works really well, but since one of the feet looks to be still open he suggested some sort of powder...wait lemme look for it. Ok, its "Neo-predef with Tetracaine Powder", 2x a day. I should also add that this info is coming second hand from what SO told me, and he doesn't ask nearly as many questions as I do or remember all the details.

I will try the powder since the vet recommended it, but I was curious if anyone ever experienced something like this before? Or have any ideas if it could be something else? I don't recall him "jumping and landing hard" on anything, at least not any harder than he normally does. We did go to the beach on Friday and that is the only thing that I can think of that was out of the ordinary. It was also extremely hot out this weekend, but the spots I am talking about are in between his toes, not on the pads at all.

I will try to upload some pics but its still kind of hard to see.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Not sure if you can really see it, but the 2nd pic probably shows it the best, there is a red/pink line basically parallel to my thumb.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could he have pushed off on some sharp rocks? Causing more straightish lines?
I suppose anything is possible, but the marks are pretty symmetrical on each foot...its very weird. When I noticed the marks yesterday they almost looked like a line of skin that was about to blister...that's the best I can describe it.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I also hate getting second hand information! I have not experienced this but if the powder doesn't seem to be helping after a day or two perhaps take him back to the vet that you like and do so yourself? Unless, of course, this is a bigger problem than I'm reading it as.

·
Premium Member
8,439 Posts
My vet gave me this stuff 20 years ago and I always keep it in my doggie med box. It works great. Whenever one of my dobies gets itchy feet I sprinkle it on. It dries up the sores and gives relief. PM me if you want. "Neo-predef with Tetracaine Powder", 2x a day.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also hate getting second hand information! I have not experienced this but if the powder doesn't seem to be helping after a day or two perhaps take him back to the vet that you like and do so yourself? Unless, of course, this is a bigger problem than I'm reading it as.
Yeah, thats a good idea. I'm sort of a worrier, I don't think its really a huge deal or emergency, but I guess I wasn't comfortable with the explanation I got. Didn't seem like they were so sure...but here's hoping the powder helps it out.

I just wonder what caused it so I could try to avoid or prepare for it in the future. :/

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
That looks like a staphy-yeasty moist dermatitis kinda thang... my dog, before I realized he was intolerant of wheat, got that not infrequently. If you look from the top of the foot and seperate his toes and look between them, does he have it there, too? I always found Animax ointment to work well on this... ani-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-itchy and anti-ouchy. The ointment is thin and oily and a little bit seeps everywhere... the cream is thick and you have to use gobs of it, which is why I prefer the ointment. I would put some on maybe three times a day, and immediately go outside to play for a while to give it time to soak in before it got licked off. It would usually fix stuff like this in a couple three days.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I was thinking yeast right off, too, but I thought those vets would have looked between his toes from the top since that is a common place for yeast. Very common symptom of food allergies.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks like a staphy-yeasty moist dermatitis kinda thang... my dog, before I realized he was intolerant of wheat, got that not infrequently. If you look from the top of the foot and seperate his toes and look between them, does he have it there, too? I always found Animax ointment to work well on this... ani-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-itchy and anti-ouchy. The ointment is thin and oily and a little bit seeps everywhere... the cream is thick and you have to use gobs of it, which is why I prefer the ointment. I would put some on maybe three times a day, and immediately go outside to play for a while to give it time to soak in before it got licked off. It would usually fix stuff like this in a couple three days.
Thanks for the suggestion...I'm going to look at the tops now before it all heals up and I won't know!

I was thinking yeast right off, too, but I thought those vets would have looked between his toes from the top since that is a common place for yeast. Very common symptom of food allergies.
I was thinking the same thing...everything I read said allergies or yeast pretty much, but I'd like to be able to trust that my vets know whats up. I am about to switch his food too though, because he has been on TOTW and I am not liking all this nonsense with Diamond. :mad: Hopefully it will clear up, but I'd like to know what is causing it.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You know, when Parker got really bad yeast on his whole body, the vet pressed something that looked similar to scotch paper on his stomach, or somewhere...cant remember. She took this sample to the back, then returned in a bit and announced he had yeast. So there must be a diagnostic test of some sort for yeast. You could ask if they checked him for yeast. Did you look between his toes? The fur will be deep brown where yeast is.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
No idea on what it is, but wanted to make sure you are keeping him from licking, as that can quickly escalate into sores and then you'll have another problem on your hands.

Reactions: SpecialK and LindaH

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,447 Posts
You know, when Parker got really bad yeast on his whole body, the vet pressed something that looked similar to scotch paper on his stomach, or somewhere...cant remember. She took this sample to the back, then returned in a bit and announced he had yeast. So there must be a diagnostic test of some sort for yeast. You could ask if they checked him for yeast. Did you look between his toes? The fur will be deep brown where yeast is.
I'm thinking this might have been a test rather like the one for pinworms--the offending organism (yeast, pinworm eggs) sticks to the tape, which can then be examined under the microscope for identification.

I wondered if he might have stepped in some sort of caustic stuff which irritated his toes at the depth it seeped to--but yeast is a better explanation.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hee, hee, Melbrod! I always thought it was under the microscope and started to post that. Then self doubt crept in and I thought, heck, maybe they dipped the tape into something that turned it blue or whatever. So rather then make a guess and have someone tell me how wrong I was, I opted to keep the diagnostics open,:) but you are probably right.:) I wanna know about this miracle Animax stuff. I have been fighting yeast between three of Parkers toes FOREVER with ACV. Finally realized twice a day wasnt enough and spraying like 4 times a day. Just tiny spots hanging on. Something that would cure it in 3 days, I WANT!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
The tape very well may have been scotch tape, we use tape and/or scrape depending on what we're looking for and what the skin looks like.

Tapes is generally died and slides depend on what we are looking for and then it all goes under the scope unless we're culturing right away :)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
... We did go to the beach on Friday and that is the only thing that I can think of that was out of the ordinary. It was also extremely hot out this weekend, but the spots I am talking about are in between his toes, not on the pads at all...

Beach=BINGO!

Horses, not zebras, you know.

Very likely "sand burn."

The abrasion of the sand, the heat of the sand, friction plus moisture and ya got beach "rash."

Whip has done that more than once, on a sandy river bank that is along a trail we frequent quite often.

It has gotten so, even with musher's secret, I just leash her up on that part of the trail, 'cause she zips along that sand until her feet are a raw mess--she never seems to realize it until we get home, either.

Probably rest, use of whatever topicals your vet approves, a soak or two in sea salt (ironic, I know), that should take care of it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the ideas. I checked his toes last night and there was nothing on the tops, those sores on the bottom had dried up and were not red anymore either, just a little crusty.

Beach=BINGO!

Horses, not zebras, you know.

Very likely "sand burn."

The abrasion of the sand, the heat of the sand, friction plus moisture and ya got beach "rash."

Whip has done that more than once, on a sandy river bank that is along a trail we frequent quite often.

It has gotten so, even with musher's secret, I just leash her up on that part of the trail, 'cause she zips along that sand until her feet are a raw mess--she never seems to realize it until we get home, either.

Probably rest, use of whatever topicals your vet approves, a soak or two in sea salt (ironic, I know), that should take care of it.
Ok, THANK YOU! That makes so much sense.

I was trying to figure out what the sand could have done to cause this. The vet's explanation that he "hit hard and caused the feet to spread/split" gave me the image of a hard surface. All I could think of was the sand/beach, but it was soft. I was wondering more if somehow the sand got caught in there with moisture or something and was irritating it, but I never knew you could get sand burn. It makes sense though, like road rash I guess...ha. It really was the only place he had run/jumped/played so hard he could have hurt himself. I just couldn't get from A to B.

I <3 DT.

Losing sleep from foster puppies=losing brain function.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
RFR beat me to it. But, we live on Lake Michigan and have experienced this before. We now rub bag balm between his pads/toes before we go to the beach on hot days. Works great.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Really...I have been on a sandy beach here many, many times with Blue and he never experienced any problems whatsoever. Strange...but it wasnt as hot back then either. ///// Special K, Glad to hear your boy is so much better! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts