Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a Doberman with problems with seasonal allergies? Mine seems to have these and has been on antibiotics and antihistamines all summer. These seem to be causing her additional problems. Anyone experiencing similar issues please let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone else have a Doberman with problems with seasonal allergies? Mine seems to have these and has been on antibiotics and antihistamines all summer. These seem to be causing her additional problems. Anyone experiencing similar issues please let me know! Thanks!
OMG, yes! We are so suffering! I don't come over to this board often, but I need some doberman advice. Greta is about 18 months old, and a couple of months ago she broke out in hives. She had been at my in laws house around dogs known to have fleas, though she is on frontline plus. We did not see any fleas, but thought she might have been bitten by them. She was covered with red splotches on her stomach, and white bumps all over her hind quarters that seem to be spreading. Been to the vet twice. Once got antibiotics and cortisone shot, 3 weeks later, all back, like they said it would. I spent $500 two days ago for her check up, heartworm meds, etc and a blood test for them to send off to have allergy tested. Not sure if I just threw $210 down the drain for the test, but I'm desperate. We held off on her shots even though my money grubbing vet just wanted to do shots anyway, I said no, not until she is well. I am torn between seeing an allergist, we have one nearby, VERY expensive, or a holistic vet. I'm leaning towards the holistic vet. Thinking of raw feeding. We are on a grain free diet, wellness core ocean, had been on Innova turkey/chicken. I don't want to raw feed, the idea freaks me out, but I'm leaning towards it, in fact I came onto this website to find info from people who do raw feed their dobermans, and I came across your post. I"m sorry your dog is suffering too. I hope that you can find some good information and help for your dog too. Hang in there!

·
Registered
633 Posts
A lot of dogs have seasonal allergies just like us (only their allergies tend to affect their skin, whereas most of ours affects our respiratory system). Not sure why they have her on antibiotics unless she'd scratched so much and gave herself a bacterial infection. Usually they'll give you a steroid to give her to get the itching under control, and then try using different antihistamines. Usually if you pinpoint the time of year she starts becoming itchy, you can start giving an antihistamine a little bit before then and keep the allergies at bay. I know this means giving her a pill quite often (most antihistamines need to be given every 6-8 hours), but its much better than her scratching herself all the time or having to put her on steroids constantly. I'd only do allergy testing in severe cases, because most likely you won't be able to change the environment, and they'll tell you to give allergy injections to control them. If you think it is a food allergy, then I'd just do an elimination diet. Takes longer than the testing but it will save you lots of money and isn't too hard to do as long as you're diligent with it (some people will put their dog on special food and then still give them treats or scraps....total waste of money and time). If you do happen to switch to raw, this will be super easy. Good luck to both of you! :)

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I used the winter time to do dog food trials to see what was the common denominator ingredient. Chicken was the culprit. My vet said chichen and beef are the most common allergins. Everytime I fed a food with chicken Parker broke out in hives. No chicken, no hives. I now feed California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice and switch with CN Herring and Sweet Potato. CN is a food with very few ingredients so it works pretty well for Parker's food sensitivities.
I haven't had to put him on benadryl this year but he is itching more now but not breaking out so I have decided to let him tough it out. He really didn't start itching till lately so we have been lucky this year. He is 27 months old now. Last year I got by with giving him a dose in the morning and another one eight hours later. Some times you may have to give three times a day tho. The dose is 25 mg pill for 25 pounds or three pills for 75 pounds.
You give the plain benadryl only. Do not give the one for colds.
Best of luck to you both!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We are just waiting the Kaiser's bloods to come back for allergies. He is atm on prednisolone for them and its working very well, no more itchy skin or flakes nor hives. In the 10 days he has been on it his coat is so shinny and feels silky smooth, he also seems much more happy in himself, he is settling down more and doesn't seem so hyper and agitated.
What additional problem are you having?

·
Registered
321 Posts
OMG! I thought only my dog had this problem. It started with two bouts of hives that required shots to get them under control. Now he has a runny nose, sneezing and tiny amount of hives now and then. My vet is really great and cuts me a break because we are there so much. It's a joke at his office about how high maintenance Reese is. Benadryl seems to work wonders. Controls all the symtoms and he takes a nap now and then!:clap_1:

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
YES! Although Sammy hasn't been too bad this season (knock on wood) since I switched him to raw. I, on the other hand, am dying over here. If I sneeze one more time I think head will fall off.

I gave him some dosages of Benadryl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts