Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost my super Schutzhund Rottie. He was a wonderful Schutzhund dog, bit well, was big and very fast but needed to be seperated from non-family members. I have owned 5 Dobes in my life. Now I want my lifetime Dobe, preferably red.

I do not want true Schutzhund quality, there are no clubs within driving distance where I live now. However, I need to know my home will be protected to the last bite.

I also will be doing extensive obedience training with the dog.

The dog should be controllable with guests in the house, and preferably not tear my 3 year old granddaughter a new one.

Who would be good to contact for a sale?

Thanks,

John.:thanx:

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So sorry you lost your Rottie. Sounds like you really know what you want. In my experience, any well-bred Doberman will be naturally protective with no special training. There are some fine breeders recommended on this forum and lots of folks have their dogs - read and learn all you can about them. You will probably also get some PM's about reputable breeders. This forum is all about better the breed so you came to a good place for your research.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The DPCA, Breeder Referral, site is an excellent place to start. Remember tho, just because they are listed there is not a guarantee they are a good breeder. Best to run the name by here before you commit to one. Best wishes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In my experience, any well-bred Doberman will be naturally protective with no special training.
Though this can be true to a point there is no replacement for actual training. There is a big difference between your dog being protective and knowing what to do with, and when to use those drives. Though many people feel their dog would protect them, the dead honest truth is when the chips are down the dog will not perform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sure, I am willing to ship him or her in. I live in Vicksburg, Mississippi, formerly from Detroit. My rottie came from Belgium, so will not hesitate to have one shipped. Please recommend two or three totally ethical breeders. I was hooked on the Family dobes web site until I dug a little deeper. Three of my dobes were from Kimbertal, but were not outstanding. Not sure I want to do ears this time around. I am 62, in good health and retired.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks,

John.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need some help here people...

O.K., one recommendation. I followed this up and I need more. Are you all hesitant to recommend a breeder? I really need some help on this one. I am already in a buyer beware situation without the means to sort through the information out there.

I need a focused dobe who will take well to obedience training, be managable around guests and not tear my three year old granddaughter apart. I do not want to isolate the dog. Dog should be to standard, European or U.S.

I am looking for a lifetime dog with good bone structure (a little bit blocky), preferably red if dobe traits will not be watered down - no more Kimbertal or BYB.

Flame me if you will, but the overall response to this point has not been as originally requested. Everyone has been polite. I appreciate that. I am asking for three or four breeders who supply healthy, tempermentally sound pups, and have a background in advanced obedience.

Thank you all for your time and patience.

John.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Depending where you are located in Miss. but it may be feasible for you to travel to the 2012 United Doberman Club Nationals in St. Louis Official Website of the United Doberman Club You would have an opportunity to meet a lot of breeders and their dogs.

The United Doberman Club also has a breeders directory and many of the breeders listed train and trial in Schutzhund if you are interested in doing schutzhund with your new dobe.
Official Website of the United Doberman Club

You may find this thread helpful when researching various breeders.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

Good luck in your search!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts