Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

I am new to this site, and am currently looking for a Doberman Pinscher as another member into my family. My fiancee and I currently own a Miniature Pinscher, Zeus (about 8 months old). I keep hearing that a Dobe should get along just fine with Zeus, however I am open to any advice/suggestions on seasoned Dobe owners.

I have been searching on PetFinder.com and came across Addison Shultz Dobes. I came across a forum on this site and after reading what someone had posted I became interested in joining.

In the person's post, they mentioned checking a database for the parents of the Doberman (see if they were registered, etc..) however, nothing was found.

What database can be searched for this type of information?

Thanks everyone!
Melissa

·
Registered
80 Posts
The website your looking for is dobequest.com. It will tell you parents, grandparents, and any testing that has been done on all the dogs.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Unfortunately the Dobequest site is far from complete. I looked there and didn't see any "Addison Shultz dogs listed. However on a Google search I did find these two entries:

1169) WZ005125/03 ADDISON SHULTZ ROYAL PISTOL RED & RUST

The dog above is on the "Z" list, which means that he is descended at some point from albinos. That means his breeders are involved with breeding albino Dobermans, this is a very unethical practice, and a breeder to stay far, far away from.

In fact here she is on a list of AKC suspensions:

Wallace Shannon Louisville KY 5/10/04 11/10/14 Cocker Spaniels

for submission of a certificate transfer that did not contain the signature of one of the owners.(6/04)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wallace Shannon Louisville KY 5/10/04 11/10/14 Doberman Pinschers

for submission of a certificate transfer that did not contain the signature of one of the owners.(6/04)

SEVENLY RAVAUGHM ABOUT RILEY. WS020579/01. 09/29/2002. BREEDER: Shannon Wallace & Rheha Riche'. By Ch Briarwood Storms A Brewin-Aeolus Misty Magic Lu Lu. OWNER: John R Addison & Keith Shultz.

I'm assuming these are the same people. This was taken from a dog show catalog. Shannon Wallace is a breeder with a bad reputation. The dog she bred here is sired by a Ch. Briarwood dog, which ordinarily should be a good thing, and he may be a nice dog, but there doesn't seem to be much discrimination about who he's bred to. The dam of this dog is sired by a large scale breeder in Texas who seems willing to sell dogs to anyone.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Great finds Micdobe, you are so helpful, now that is one scary breeder!!! Missa please listen to Micdobe's findings.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Missa, you may want to check out the breeder section on the forum, to help your search. if don't don't see breeders mentioned there, we have members from all over the world who can give you lots of good advice and insight.

welcome to the forum.
cc

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more about you and your search for a Doberman. They are a great breed but not for everyone so keep asking the questions and be as informed as possible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All,
I have found a Doberman Pinscher (red/rust) owner in St. Augustine, Florida. He claims that he is moving out of the country and thinks his Dobie, Achilles, would best be served in the states. He has provided me with the following information about the dog:

- not asking for any money (just a loving home and pay for the shipping cost from FL to OH)
- housebroken
- well manored/ responds to commands and his name
- vaccinations are current (can provide records)
- 11 months old
- male/neutered
- enjoys long walks and fetch
- ears cropped/ tail docked
- crate trained
- 3 pictures of the dog

Are there any additional questions I need to ask him? Is this just a gamble I am taking?

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Missa

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I would never get a dog "sight un seen". Are you going to meet the dog first? If he is registered with the AKC you could probably find out more about him. What if he does not get along with your Minpin? I am not trying to sound all doom and gloom; just trying to bring up some things you may not have considered.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
I would never get a dog "sight un seen". Are you going to meet the dog first? If he is registered with the AKC you could probably find out more about him. What if he does not get along with your Minpin? I am not trying to sound all doom and gloom; just trying to bring up some things you may not have considered.
I agree. I might buy a small puppy sight unseen from a well researched, reputable breeder. But I wouldn't bring an adolescent or older dog into my household without having seen it first, most especially with other dogs in the family. People can tell you anything, doesn't mean it's true. If I was determined to consider this dog, I guess I'd fly to wherever the dog was and see for myself first.

and the other point that Okie Dobie raised is a good one..what happens if this dog doesn't work out in your home? Doesn't sound like the owner will be around to take the dog back.

There are adolescent and older dogs across the country looking for homes..surely you could find one closer to you, so you could see what you're getting into first.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Please don't jump into this. the others have raised some very good points. I am sure there is a dobe rescue near enough to you so you can meet the foster, bring your min pin, to meet the adoptee and see if they get along, find out about personality, get a real sense if the dog has been trained etc, etc. I strongly urge you to look closer to home for an older dog, or go to a reputable breeder.

cc

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are two large rescues within a couple hours of Athens. One is Southwest Ohio Dobe Rescue in New Richmond (east of Cinti) www.swohiodoberescue.org. The other is Hand Me Down Dobes in Columbus www.handmedowndobes.org

There are also several in the Pittsburgh area, but I don't know what their adoption areas are and if they'd adopt out as far as Athens.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
There is some really sweet looking dogs at both those rescue's. And they are both close by for you! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again, thank you all for raising good points - we are still searching around (es. the sites you have all provided).

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Missa said:
- male/neutered
-Are there any additional questions I need to ask him? Is this just a gamble I am taking?
Yes, it is a gamble. Male Dobes are known for dog aggression with other males - esp those that live with them. Since you already have a male dog, do not get a male Doberman, puppy or adult.

Search the old posts about this issue.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts