Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am a proud new owner of a red male Doberman pup! I am from Germany. I am looking for an all dog schutzhund club in my area. I have found 2 in Birmingham, AL, 1 in Nashville, TN and 1 in McMinnville, TN but they are all 1 hour 40 min to 3 hours away. Does anyone here know of any clubs in either Fayetteville, TN or Huntsville, AL area? Also looking for a good vet that does a great job with cropping ears. All info will be greatly appreciated. Anyone else live in this area and would like to have Dobi Playdates? Thanks! Christin

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi! I am a proud new owner of a red male Doberman pup! I am from Germany. I am looking for an all dog schutzhund club in my area. I have found 2 in Birmingham, AL, 1 in Nashville, TN and 1 in McMinnville, TN but they are all 1 hour 40 min to 3 hours away. Does anyone here know of any clubs in either Fayetteville, TN or Huntsville, AL area? Also looking for a good vet that does a great job with cropping ears. All info will be greatly appreciated. Anyone else live in this area and would like to have Dobi Playdates? Thanks! Christin
I'd send A message to asmit or give sandy at pontiffhaus dobermans, they'll know the best clubs closest to you.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
You are pretty far away from pretty much all of the big cities with schutzhund clubs. The closest one I know to you and have personal experience with ishttp://tvwda.com/members_page.htm they are in Chattanooga.

Truth is, most people have quite a drive to train with a good club

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Schutzhund Club

I contacted an all breed Schutzhund Club in McMinnville, TN. It is an hour and a halfs drive away but am excited to visit them and see how they work. Has anyone here ever heard of or worked with Mid-TN Schutzhund Club?

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I contacted an all breed Schutzhund Club in McMinnville, TN. It is an hour and a halfs drive away but am excited to visit them and see how they work. Has anyone here ever heard of or worked with Mid-TN Schutzhund Club?
Yes, I believe that is where an acquaintance of mine trains. My trainer went there last year for a BH on her dog and I did not hear anything negative. Definitely worth going and checking out!

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
I have 2 good clubs close to me, and by close I mean each one is about an hour away. But honestly, for a good trainer and club an hour is NOTHING. Make sure you are comfortable with the trainer and the group and remember (and make sure the trainers you work with realize this) Dobermans are not shepherds or Malinois and unless you have a balls to the wall all out doberman, most of the time if they get hurt doing something (ie they are caught incorrectly, you train with too much compulsion, etc) you will be very hard pressed to get them to do it again.

I have a friend in Florida who used to work with a lot of police departments when they stopped using dobermans in favor of shepherds and malinois. It doesn't do the police department any good to sink a bunch of money into a dog who is too smart to put themselves back into a situation where they got hurt before. A mal or shepherd generally will do it over and over again no matter how much it hurts because they LIVE for the game. Dobermans love to play the game but they (generally) have a lot more self preservation than shepherds and mals, in my experience anyways.

·
Registered
959 Posts
........snitp........ Dobermans love to play the game but they (generally) have a lot more self preservation than shepherds and mals....snip.........

Please, Please, PLEASE, for the sake of the breed, PLEASE help put an end to this nonsense.

There needs to be thousands of Dobermanns with decent working temperaments before you start seeing hundreds with outstanding temperaments.

When the majority of breeders are producing conformation/show dogs & pets, with a small spattering of sport dogs, and only a miniscule amount of dogs with a temperament suitable for real world work; there simply will not be enough dogs to sell to the Police.

We either need to say the breed is only good for pets and a handful of sport dogs, or we need to start breeding solid working dogs. Repeating myths and making excuses does nobody any good.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Please, Please, PLEASE, for the sake of the breed, PLEASE help put an end to this nonsense.

There needs to be thousands of Dobermanns with decent working temperaments before you start seeing hundreds with outstanding temperaments.

When the majority of breeders are producing conformation/show dogs & pets, with a small spattering of sport dogs, and only a miniscule amount of dogs with a temperament suitable for real world work; there simply will not be enough dogs to sell to the Police.

We either need to say the breed is only good for pets and a handful of sport dogs, or we need to start breeding solid working dogs. Repeating myths and making excuses does nobody any good.
Haha, we were just talking tonight about a few of our dobermans who will continually run into trees/fences/walls over a ball and then do the exact same thing again.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Haha, we were just talking tonight about a few of our dobermans who will continually run into trees/fences/walls over a ball and then do the exact same thing again.
:D I'm sure you you don't believe that's because they're stupid or lacking in self preservation either.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
I said generally and that information came directly from someone highly respected in the sport world who has won multiple national sch championships and works with police departments.

After living with a dobe with NO self preservation I, for one, enjoy those who have a little sense of it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My first Doberman was trained and worked for the Gary Indiana police dept...the owner wanted the dog to retire and
we brought him to Florida... he was the best...
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sincere question (not being confrontational or a smart a$$)- What's your point?

Pretty sure you are not saying that your first Dobermann was stupid or lacked self preservation ability, or are you?

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
:D I'm sure you you don't believe that's because they're stupid or lacking in self preservation either.
I never said stupid either. I will now bow out of this thread.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I said generally and that information came directly from someone highly respected in the sport world who has won multiple national sch championships and works with police departments.

After living with a dobe with NO self preservation I, for one, enjoy those who have a little sense of it.
I hope you don't think I was attacking you personally. That isn't my intent.

What your friend should have said was that it makes no sense for a department to sink a bunch of time and money into a dog (any dog of any breed) when the dog lacks the necessary temperament to do the job.

When a dog decides that he doesn't want to track in the rain or is unwilling to engage a bad guy because he got hurt; it's a temperament issue.

Your friend may be saying things like the dogs are "Too smart" or something as a matter of sugar coating things. I cannot speak to his motives for saying things like that, but for darn sure it's not helpful.

Reactions: GRAYGHOST

·
Registered
959 Posts
Right! That drive for a prey object, or whatever drive/other temperament trait is what separates one breed from another and/or determines whether a dog is suited for a particular kind of work.

I’m not sure that it’s accurate to say their drive is overriding their natural self preservation though. Many of the behaviors or temperament traits seen in domestic dog breeds are not conducive to self preservation. Since through selective breeding drives have been exaggerated to the point that “Natural” self preservation has for all intents and purposes been bred out of the dogs, can we still claim that it’s being “overridden”? Or is the dog just behaving in the manner appropriate to it’s breed?

When a dog of breed XYZ is supposed to exhibit temperament trait ABC and he fails to deliver, it’s not because he’s too smart or that he has a better sense of self preservation.

A Terrier that isn’t interested in going after a rodent or fails to deliver on other traits appropriate to a ground dog isn’t smarter than the other Terriers; he just lacks a suitable ground dog temperament.

Reactions: Asmit

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
In the real world, the main issue of the dobermann breed, at least for those who at least have enough drive to do the work (not that common to begin with), is a lack of nerve. This is not about smarts it is about having too thin of a nerve structure to handle direct threats. Often this is carried out to the point where anything is a threat. I guess you could say it another way that their sense of self-preservation is higher than their willingness to engage a threat.

·
Registered
959 Posts
One could make the argument that is the same as stating they have poor temperaments, ie they lack sufficient social aggression, or they don't have enough prey drive to overcome the threat presented by the 'prey', etc etc.

Reactions: Asmit
1 - 19 of 19 Posts