Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird question...

Diesel is getting evaluated on Saturday and I plan on watching as well but I know dogs who aren't being worked need to be in the car. My question is what do you do to keep your dog cool in the summer in the car? Also should I be working Diesel up to be working in hot weather? Right now he's not so much a fan of the got weather :rolleyesww:

Any tips for all of this would be great. Thanks!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Weird question...

Diesel is getting evaluated on Saturday and I plan on watching as well but I know dogs who aren't being worked need to be in the car. My question is what do you do to keep your dog cool in the summer in the car? Also should I be working Diesel up to be working in hot weather? Right now he's not so much a fan of the got weather :rolleyesww:

Any tips for all of this would be great. Thanks!
How long will he be out working for?

Lots of agility people use cool coats for their dogs, also cool mats in the car and fans too. Make sure they are drinking enough water - you can use some cooled down meat broth to encourage them to drink if you think he looks really thirsty. Ice cubes in water bowls are good too, or frozen meat broth cubes! Brrrr it's all cold and wintery here... can't wait for summer again!!

Clean Run is an agility webstore that sells some of that sort of stuff, linked to cool coats below... Would link more but the site has frozen up on me... must be the cold weather :rolleyesww:

Cool coats - Clean Run: Cooling Coats

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long will he be out working for?

Lots of agility people use cool coats for their dogs, also cool mats in the car and fans too. Make sure they are drinking enough water - you can use some cooled down meat broth to encourage them to drink if you think he looks really thirsty. Ice cubes in water bowls are good too, or frozen meat broth cubes! Brrrr it's all cold and wintery here... can't wait for summer again!!

Clean Run is an agility webstore that sells some of that sort of stuff, linked to cool coats below... Would link more but the site has frozen up on me... must be the cold weather :rolleyesww:

Cool coats - Clean Run: Cooling Coats

I'm not sure. This is my first time going so it's all new to me. I will look into all of that because once we join we'll be training a lot more and he'll need it.

Thank you!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
One of my trainers always hoses his girl off before working in the heat... Granted she is 9 years old and he obviously is a worry freak for keeping her in good condition, but he swears by it. I've started this with Zeus during the hot days, right before we walk down to the field and he seems much less affected.

If you are that worried about him staying cool during the evaluation, it might be worth it to buy a huge thing of water to wash him off with. Atleast until he is more adjusted to working in the heat. At his age, he should be much less affected than the older guys.

During my trial, I took my mother's 4runner, parked in the shade early, opened the hatch and it stayed cool. If you can get his crate into a shaded area, he shouldn't be too bad.

ETA: Be sure to make sure he has drank some amount of water, but not too much. Make sure to walk him thoroughly before going onto the field, as urinating or passing a stool on the field is a big no no!

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
If they have hoses and kiddy pools, that helps cool them down as well. Just don't be like me--I sprayed Niz smack in the nose and so I had to hold him while Erynn did the job properly.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my trainers always hoses his girl off before working in the heat... Granted she is 9 years old and he obviously is a worry freak for keeping her in good condition, but he swears by it. I've started this with Zeus during the hot days, right before we walk down to the field and he seems much less affected.

If you are that worried about him staying cool during the evaluation, it might be worth it to buy a huge thing of water to wash him off with. Atleast until he is more adjusted to working in the heat. At his age, he should be much less affected than the older guys.

During my trial, I took my mother's 4runner, parked in the shade early, opened the hatch and it stayed cool. If you can get his crate into a shaded area, he shouldn't be too bad.
That's not a bad idea. So you wash them BEFORE they go out? What about after?

I'm going to put a fan in my car as well and looking into those cooling mats/coats. I've never been to this place before but it looks like its surrounded by trees so I'm hoping I can find a good spot.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
What we do in the summer (both in CA and AZ where it is very hot) is park under shade and open everything. If it gets too hot in AZ some people just leave the car running. Also, there are crate fans that you hang to circulate the air. Before going out, wet them down all over. After their session wet them again as Dobermans dry so fast. Also, walk them a bit after to cool off before going back in the crate.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What we do in the summer (both in CA and AZ where it is very hot) is park under shade and open everything. If it gets too hot in AZ some people just leave the car running. Also, there are crate fans that you hang to circulate the air. Before going out, wet them down all over. After their session wet them again as Dobermans dry so fast. Also, walk them a bit after to cool off before going back in the crate.
I was just looking into those fans. Thank you! That seems to be what most people are suggesting so we'll start with that and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Uh oh, looks like it's mini-van time! :D

There's a reason they're so popular with dog people. 2 side doors that open + the back opens + fan+ shade cloth on roof.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uh oh, looks like it's mini-van time! :D

There's a reason they're so popular with dog people. 2 side doors that open + the back opens + fan+ shade cloth on roof.
Haha funny you say that, I'm looking at bigger cars right now.

·
Got mutt?
13,851 Posts
I was just at an obedience trial this weekend, thinking to myself that the next car just might need to be a minivan. Especially if I wind up keeping Leontine, and am trialing two dogs.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heads up about humidity! I once hosed my dog and put her back in the car crate with all the windows rolled down but she got overheated anyway. The humidity can build up in a small car even with the windows down if there's not enough air flow to whisk it out.

Silver shade mesh is really great stuff, too. You can make a tent out of it if you open all the doors. You'd be amazed at how much heat that stuff reflects off your car. Also, cover your front window all the way with a good quality reflector.

Another also? Go Dog is great stuff for hot weather.

Okay, that's it for my hot weather tips! LOL

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Maybe PaPa, can learn some SCH. through my best-buddy Diesel...so I will ask a nubie question:
- learn much and good luck, my boy...you make your MaMa proud...every minute of the day

Why can't Mom or Dad's watch from the SCH. sidelines (behind fence)...with dober trainee, on a leash ??
- then not overheating, in the car / and fresh water can be made available, right beside the dog
When I learned OB 35 years ago, the teachers cat's sat on the fence...looking in / and within no time. all the dogs ignored them...but it was a great thing, to have.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heads up about humidity! I once hosed my dog and put her back in the car crate with all the windows rolled down but she got overheated anyway. The humidity can build up in a small car even with the windows down if there's not enough air flow to whisk it out.

Silver shade mesh is really great stuff, too. You can make a tent out of it if you open all the doors. You'd be amazed at how much heat that stuff reflects off your car. Also, cover your front window all the way with a good quality reflector.

Another also? Go Dog is great stuff for hot weather.

Okay, that's it for my hot weather tips! LOL
Haha thank you for the tips. A reflector for the front window is a good idea. I forgot about that!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts