Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we headed back toward the house on our walk this morning I noticed a rather large Boxer approaching us sans an owner. If I only had Chi, I probably wouldn't have been so nervous but I had Petri with me and he can be quite a **** sometimes. Anyway, as soon as I saw her, I started looking for something to throw to chase her off - no luck in that department. So, I took my dogs to the other side of the street and put them both in a sit/stay and hoped she'd just pass on her merry way. But she didn't. As soon as she got even with us, she started to cross the street. Petri kind of woofed but I used the "mom voice" and put him back in his sit stay. God love Chi, who normally would be all over the place, didn't budge. I guess she knew I meant business. I stepped infront of my two and in the growliest voice I could muster said "no" to the Boxer. I couldn't believe it, she looked at me and then just laid down. I told her to "stay" and she did! We walked past her and she just kept on staying in a very pretty down stay. I felt bad and tried to release her with a happy "okay" once we got safely past but she didn't budge. I wanted to go back and get her, she listened to me better than my own dogs do! I did go back once my dogs were in the house but she was gone. I hope her owners got her. She had on a collar and tags. I was just so thrilled that my two listened to me! Very excited about it. I could almost see Cesar Milan standing next to me urging me to take control of the situation LOL. I was so the pack leader! Will start making a habit of carrying a stick or something, doubt all strays will listen so well :)
On to the thyroid test results. Doc called yesterday, her thyroid level is as perfect as perfect can be. So, I know that our problems are behavioral and with enough time and patience we will work through them. I'm glad I spent the $$$ and at least ruled it out. The tech invited me to start training with her and her male pit. She's in the same boat as I am, unable to find a trainer that understands or embraces the concept of positive reinforcement. We're going to start meeting next month in the afternoon after it cools off and the kids are in school. She was very excited to hear that we've started tracking and wants me to pass on what we've done so far with it.
Just thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Oh Im so glad the boxer listened so well! when you think about it...I bet every dog whether they have good owners or not probably know the word "NO!"
That is good news about her thyroid :) tell Chi and petri I said hi and give em a hug for me :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Great News! Gotta love the Boxers :) The doggy mace spray is good to have, and it wont harm the dog long term, just deter them.

I have been meaning to tell you......the President of our Schutzhund Club's daughter just moved there!! She is actually in the Army I think, but she is stationed on the Air Force base, and she is in charge of caring for all 32 working dogs! :) I bet she could show you how to track!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That is so funny the Boxer stayed. You are lucky it all worked out so well.

I am going to start carrying mace when I walk Peaches. I stopped walking Cole because of loose dogs and I was afraid of a huge dog fight and not being able to break it up. So Cole got his exerecise by playing catch. Well Miss Peaches wants nothing to do with playing catch so far and she loves to go for walks and quite frankly I need the exercise too.

So I take her for a walk a few days after I got her and a neighbors yellow lab charges out and attacks her. I kicked him off and then picked up a stick and scared him away. That was the last straw for me.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm glad it ended good. You are lucky he stayed. On my walks there is always a little dog that charges us barking down one of the blocks. He never strays close though. My dogs are so used it now, they don't even flinch at him. I don't know why people let their dogs run loose like that. There are laws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts