Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may get flamed for this, but here goes. My husband and I have a vacation coming up, and I'm really nervous about leaving Chevy for a week. All of you know about her liver issues, and from the update on monday you know her liver enzymes have come way down, though they are still about 5x what they should be (except bilirubin which is now in normal range). My inlaws live a few houses down from us and are going to be coming by to take care of her and give her all her meds. They are going to come by every couple hours to check on her and give her some attention. In the past 2 weeks she has lost 2 lbs, and i have worked so hard to get her to gain the 11 lbs she has gained since the start of her issues at the beginning of March. I am so worried that she is going to lose more weight while I am gone. We have had the vacation booked since before she started having problems, and it is way too close to get our money back. I trust my inlaws to come by like they say they are going to. I'm just so worried about leaving her. Yall think I should really up the amount of meat versus dog food i have them give her while I'm gone to make sure she doesnt lose any weight? Any other suggestions? I'm just scared to death.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm not going to flame you! Personally, I'd lose the money and take her with you on a mini camping trip or something if you needed the time away. Having a dog with serious health issues, sadly, sometimes gets in the way of life. However, I understand both sides. It's really up to you. I know at least one of my dogs goes off food for a day or two when I leave... interruption of normal schedule in addition to some mild separation anxiety.

Have you left Chevy like this before? I know your in laws will be coming by to give her meds and attention but has she ever been left alone like this? It's possible she may go off food entirely with no one around. Like I said, I wouldn't risk it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Is there anyway you can take Chevy WITH you? Perhaps call the hotel where you're staying and explain the situation. Many hotels are becoming pet friendly. We usually take Sofia with us, she's a good traveler, but we are leaving her with our sitter in June for our daughter's wedding.
Another option to think about is asking one of your inlaws to stay in your house while you're gone, especially at night.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
:( Sorry you're having to go through this at all.... Personally, I would cancel the trip if there was no way she could go with me. My husband and I had to cancel a vacation before when my girl was also having liver issues. We lost a ton of money, but I couldnt leave her and dont trust many people to take care of my dogs (the way I would).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are going on a cruise, and there is no way to credit the money to another vacation or take her with us. my husband is not willing to cancel the vacation. My inlaws are the ones who always take care of her when we go on vacation, 1 or 2 week long vacations a year, always cruises. She has never lost weight or eaten any less when my inlaws care for her, but she also never had health issues either. I will ask my mother in law to spend nights here. I wouldnt think it would be a problem especially since she is just a couple doors down.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
no, I hear you. We haven't been on a vacation in - well - five and a half years (actually longer). Conceptually, we are ok with the idea of leaving Q at a nice kennel. I just don't know if I trust anyone with my dog. As long as Q had access to playtime with other dogs, he'd probably be fine. But he likes to suckle and eat blankets - will the kennel workers really look out for that? Will they keep his water fresh? will they feed him on schedule every day? will they make sure he doesn't have access to toys/stuffies that he will eat? will they look out for Doberman bloat symptoms? will they look out for obstruction symptoms?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Well..I'm 6000 miles away from my dogs right now, one of them having chronic active hepatitis. Since Razzle still has shown no symptoms, she's at the boarding kennel with the other dogs, like we do every year. The kennel owners are great, and know to call my good friend (who used to live next door to them) if Razzle or any of the dogs get sick.

I think I take pretty good care of my dogs, and I wouldn't leave a dog who was seriously ill. But I'm not going to put the rest of my life on hold unless a dog is in severe shape.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Emily- They have a little fox terrier that is scared to death of her. Chevy wouldnt hurt it, but the little thing is a scardey cat, so they wont keep her there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, I hear you. We haven't been on a vacation in - well - five and a half years (actually longer). Conceptually, we are ok with the idea of leaving Q at a nice kennel. I just don't know if I trust anyone with my dog. As long as Q had access to playtime with other dogs, he'd probably be fine. But he likes to suckle and eat blankets - will the kennel workers really look out for that? Will they keep his water fresh? will they feed him on schedule every day? will they make sure he doesn't have access to toys/stuffies that he will eat? will they look out for Doberman bloat symptoms? will they look out for obstruction symptoms?
Yeah I agree with the kennel thing. I dont trust anyone with her except my best friend and my inlaws. My best friend used to work at a vet office that was known for its "awesome kennel service." She told me horror stories about things that happened there sometimes, like the fact that they LOST a little chi/jack russell mix for two days! It was found alright, but the employees were told that if they told the owners they would be fired. You may know some people from the kennel, but maybe not everyone there. There are just so many people who are ignorant about dobies that I guess sometimes I'm extra protective of her, more so than I think I would be of a lab or something.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Would one of your in-laws be willing to stay at your home with her? We did this with our senior dog once and it worked out very well.

I'm among those who simply would not be taking the trip if I had a dog with serious health issues.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Would one of your in-laws be willing to stay at your home with her? We did this with our senior dog once and it worked out very well.
Yeah, I'd ask about that. I could never leave a dog alone in a house like this-I'd be far more worried about a house fire with the dog trapped inside than I would an illness.

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
If you've done it before with success, and there's no way to cancel/rearrange your trip, then I see no reason not to try it again this year. My concern would be that she's struggled so hard to keep on weight and that she may lose more while you're gone - but one of my girls goes off her food every time I've left her overnight, so I wouldn't put her specifically in that situation.

I would probably leave extra yummy food for her, like you've considered doing, just to encourage her to continue to eat in your absence. I also think it's a good idea for one of your trusted relatives to stay with her if she can't stay with them. Just in case something were to happen.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
If she typically does well when you leave her, I would just see if someone can stay in the house with her. It wouldn't hurt to stock up on some extra good food, too. Maybe roast and shred some chickens, get some canned, high calorie foods, maybe some canned green tripe. I would also be sure to leave very specific instructions on where to take her in an emergency, and talk with your vet ahead of time so they know who is caring for her and what treatments are authorized.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone!

Yeah she has done well before. I just cooked and shredded a ton of chicken for her and I'm going to double the amount for her to get each time with the same amount of dog food. She wont eat any kind of canned food, but she loves the shredded chicken.

I'm going to ask my mother in law to sleep at the house with her. Since they are only a couple houses away, I wouldnt think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My dogs were not even sick this past summer and I wouldnt leave them. It was for almost two weeks and I just couldnt do it. I just dont trust anyone with my dogs. After all the work I did with Kyrah on people reactivity there was no way anyone was going to undo what I had worked on since she was 15 weeks old. So hubby and our daughters took off and left me. Do I regret it? Not at all!

I agree if it is something she is accustomed to she should be fine. Thats why if I have to leave mine I prefer to leave them at home with my daughters or atleast one of them. They may not be home as much but its still their house and this is where they are comfortable.

Hope you have fun on your vacation one way or another. :)

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Yeah she has done well before. I just cooked and shredded a ton of chicken for her and I'm going to double the amount for her to get each time with the same amount of dog food. She wont eat any kind of canned food, but she loves the shredded chicken.

I'm going to ask my mother in law to sleep at the house with her. Since they are only a couple houses away, I wouldnt think it would be a problem.
This sounds like a great plan. I think your in-laws will do fine with her. Leave some extra treats maybe a few new toys so they can spoil her, and she won't miss you so much. I just returned from a 10 day trip, and for the first time in his life, Monty spent quite a bit of time alone in the house, he did fantastic, didn't lose an ounce, and was very happy to see us when we returned. You go and have a great time with your hubby and think only positive thoughts that all will be well. ox

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My husband and I just got back from a week in Seattle, it was the 1st vacation we have had together in 32 years. Since we are dogless, we figured it would be the only time to go and see friends. I had not been back to Seattle since we left in 1989. We never would let anyone take care of our dogs, they are our kids. The only reason we took Oliver to daycare was for socialization and his trainer was there. We also have known him for 20 years. We had never left Oliver at home alone. So I guess you know I wouldn't leave my dogs, but if you have to, have someone stay with him, they need to be with people. I have always worried about a fire or an earthquake too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts