Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost got bit today. I was walking Judah and out of the blue a medium sized black dog came barreling down on us with teeth bared and growling. I quickly put Judah into a sit position placing myself in front of her and placed my hands on her collars and pushed her face into my legs. This dogs nose was touching my pants leg and he was still going at it. I had a death grip on Judah's collar and she let out a yelp. I do not know if I accidentally pulled too hard and she thought I was giving a correction or if she was reacting to the dog. The dog suddenly stopped and started sniffing the grass and it was over.
We quickly retreated down the sidewalk. I am wondering if anyone carry's anything with them when they walk their dog. I want to continue to walk my dog and yet I do not want something like this to happen again.
I am proud of Judah in the fact that her attention remained on me and she continued to mind me in the midst of this confusing, frightening situation but I want to make sure I am better prepared next time. Anyone have any suggestions. By the way, the offender appears to be a neighbors dog with a collar in place but no restrictions.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I carry a stun gun. Not sure if there are restrictions in your state. Perhaps carry a wooden/metal walking stick. Yell "BACK", "STOP" if your scary mom/dad voice.

Glad it ended good and everyone is ok.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I carry pepper spray and my cell phone on my walks. The pepper spray is to stop the dog, and the cell phone is for calling Animal Services. Matter of fact, I called them this morning about my neighbors' dogs. Neighbors are not home, the dogs are loose, and they are going after people waking down the street. I gave one guy a dollar to buy another cup of coffee, because he had to throw his coffee at them. A S couldn't get the dogs, because they went up under the house, but neighbors are getting a ticket. This afternoon, I had to chase one of the dogs off so some kids could walk down the street after school. Those dogs are a menace.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've had this happen to me- if you take a "threatening" stomp step towards the dog coming and YELL (in your thunderous voice of a wrathful god voice) STOP or NO! most dogs back off. I also now carry a stun gun. There's no way, no how I'm going to let some idiot's dog hurt mine.

Good for you for getting in between and protecting your baby. I'm glad she's okay!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Long Shot and the others who responded. I think we both looked like Shaggy and Scooby Do running down the street away from a dog that was half her size. I guess we are both chickens.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Our local park is horrible about having unleashed aggressive dogs running loose. Ever since we almost got mauled by a terrier, I carry pepper spray. I also will not hesitate to kick the snot out of a dog that comes too close and is acting aggressive. All dogs are supposed to be leashed in our park so I will not be at fault if I am defending myself and Gunner.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Our local park is horrible about having unleashed aggressive dogs running loose. Ever since we almost got mauled by a terrier, I carry pepper spray. I also will not hesitate to kick the snot out of a dog that comes too close and is acting aggressive. All dogs are supposed to be leashed in our park so I will not be at fault if I am defending myself and Gunner.

Sometimes I think the owner of the aggressive dog should have the snot kicked out of them!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Glad to know that both of you were fine.
we encountered the unsociable non-leashed chihuahua yesterday on the street. He never stopped high pitched barking... Chihuahua's owner admitted he's aggressive! Then, why does he let his dog non-leashed!?
I'm proud of Elza as same as you, she completely ignored annoying chihuahua.
However, sadly, who else besides the doberman owner thinks we're "not guilty". The drivers' faces passing by us showed "guilty" as if we scared him:( Not fair, isn't it!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts