Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our neighbors just set off about 10 minutes worth of very large fireworks across the pond from us. This isn't the first time they have done this, but these fireworks were the large ones that make the fizzing noise. Hans has never had an issue with any loud noise... besides barking a few times. His hackles have never been raised because of a noise and he has never freaked out over it...until tonight. Poor guy was in my room with me and freaked out (pacing, nub down, panting, trying to get out of the room). I took him downstairs and put him in his crate with the radio on to let him settle down. He was in there about an hour and I just brought him back upstairs. He is still pretty scared (looking up at the ceiling, looking out the windows, nub still down).

I am just really surprised at his reaction to this. He hasn't ever reacted like this before. We often have jets fly very low over our house, he has heard fireworks before, we have thunderstorms worse here than anywhere I have ever been, and no huge concern from him.

I am going to call the neighbors and ask them to let me know the next time they set them off so I can put Hans in his crate with the radio on before it starts.

Is there anything else I should do? I just don't understand why he just now had a freak out over this. :confused: I feel bad for my boy!

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
Not much I can help with about his reaction this time, but find out the laws concerning fireworks in your area. If they are illegal outside of certain times of the year, or in your area period (illegal inside city limits here), or if you are under burn bans or other restrictions, could you politely give them this information? And if they do it again (if illegal for some reason) you regret that you will be forced to call the authorities. Or, depending on your relationship with them, just find out the law, and call the cops if it's illegal. Good luck.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Stormy had one reaction in a windstorm a couple years ago, when some doors slammed in the house. Fortunately, we don't get a lot of windstorms here, but lately they have been becoming more frequent.

I did get her a thundershirt that has been helping with her general anxiety, but now it's lost. Honestly, I have looked everywhere.

Seems that snugness really helps them feel safe.

Fireworks aren't sold privately here.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I think that your idea to ask them to warn you in advance is a good one. I think you responded well given this situation. Dreizehn has always been good with loud noises and yet this past New Years he freaked out. I turned on music for him and it really helped.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Our neighbors just set off about 10 minutes worth of very large fireworks across the pond from us. This isn't the first time they have done this, but these fireworks were the large ones that make the fizzing noise. Hans has never had an issue with any loud noise... besides barking a few times. His hackles have never been raised because of a noise and he has never freaked out over it...until tonight. Poor guy was in my room with me and freaked out (pacing, nub down, panting, trying to get out of the room). I took him downstairs and put him in his crate with the radio on to let him settle down. He was in there about an hour and I just brought him back upstairs. He is still pretty scared (looking up at the ceiling, looking out the windows, nub still down).

I am just really surprised at his reaction to this. He hasn't ever reacted like this before. We often have jets fly very low over our house, he has heard fireworks before, we have thunderstorms worse here than anywhere I have ever been, and no huge concern from him.

I am going to call the neighbors and ask them to let me know the next time they set them off so I can put Hans in his crate with the radio on before it starts.

Is there anything else I should do? I just don't understand why he just now had a freak out over this. :confused: I feel bad for my boy!
Poor Hans. Unless firework is illegal in your area, what you did to Hans AND what you will do to your neighbor are the great ideas! Especially turning the radio on is impressed. Hope your neighbor will understand.

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
A lot of dogs become increasingly noise sensitive the older they get. And a considerable number of dogs will deal with common loud noises (airplanes overhead if you are near an airport for instance, thunderstorms if they are common in your part of the world) but will not deal well with new, loud noises.

At least one of my Dobes who passed the WAE easily at 2 probably could not have passed the noise sensitivity part (gun shots) at 6. At the time I lived near a dirt track which had races every weekend during the summer and fireworks a couple of times a month. Of the three dogs, he was the only one bothered by the fireworks--but I found if I opened my closet door, put his dog bed in it and watched television in that bedroom until the fireworks were over he would retire to the closet and was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts