Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old Rottweiler that is scared of everything from a flag like sign flapping in the wind or even a sudden door from a business opening or a bag blowing in the wind.... I have found a solution that has kept him from running out into the road but I don't know how to stop him from being skittish or try to run. He loves ppl and playing. i have tried just walking away like nothing happened after we stop and let him go thru the motion then walk away. idk how to completely nip it in the butt. these are everyday things we have to deal with living where we live at. I need some help with this. any ideas?

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Quite common for puppies between 2-3 months old, to go through this stage.
Our girl was barking once or twice at a garbage bag blowing around and even a big rock & a Wendy's pop cup she once noticed on the neighbors front lawn.
We explored them together, and if I had to....Dad touched the object first and puppy followed by touching with her nose next.
All the while I am comforting with my voice confidently, and once she seen what was so scary, I laughed and told her she was a silly girl.
- I don't think the walking away approach, teaches much / you have to have to make the conversation so that learning can happen more

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You can teach him to be curious, this is how I got Chase over his fear of men.

First find a clicker, then tasty treats. Encourage him to sniff your hand, click, treat. Encourage him to sniff things that you point to, click, treat. The goal is for him to touch an object you point to, the more enthusiastic he is, the more praise he gets (licking the object, getting a good whif, mouthing).

When he freaks out over a plastic bag, remain calm, stop walking. Distract him with a sit, if he is too anxious, you have gone over the threshold and you may need to walk back a few steps. Once he has calmed down, start the touch game. You may need to work your way up to the bag, but the key is to NOT push your dog. Don't force him to stay in a sit if he is clearly uncomfortable (licking, yawning, avoiding eye contact) you will lose ground in the trust department, and for a dog to trust you is important.

Eventually, he will soon learn that not everything is scary, and any loud noise or shuffle is a chance for praise! He may even offer the behaviour without your command, and he will investigate object on his own.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bags and things like that i do that trick with but can't really do it with the doors or the flapping signs since they are either too far away or there are scared Koreans trying to get out of the door. I did that with his brother and it worked awesomely. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't really do clicker training since I can't seem to get the timing right... is it possible to do clicker training with 2 dogs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts