Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In training
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nova went to the vet last week and he suggested we start using fish oil capsules and gave me a pamphlet on the ones they sell. I asked about feeding sardines and he said we'd have to feed Nova 1.5 cans a day to do any good. What do you guys think about that? At this visit I kind of felt like they wanted to sell me stuff which just irks the heck out of me. If what he said is right then ok, I just want to know.

Also, I mentioned coconut oil and he had no idea about it. Anyone have some great links? I was thinking of printing out some information and bringing it to him at our next visit next week. Not to be a smarty pants of course, but I just want to have a decent relationship with the vet. I have previously felt like they think I'm crazy with these "things I've read online" like giving chlorophyll to a dog in heat.

I hope that is all understandable, I am a bit sick today and my brain is not functioning! LOL Thanks for reading! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was thinking of adding sardines to my dog's diet. Does it have to be the can variety? Or the fresh (frozen) ones are good also after being thawed out. Do you have to cooked them first or just chopped them up fresh? Or just give her the whole thing to play with?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Don't know how much he charges for them. You can go to the drug store or shop on line and get the fish oil.
We give 2,000 mg fish oil a day or feed 1/2 can of sardines in Olive oil a day. A 400 iu Vit E, Organic Raw Egg, 100 mg Co Q10.
Also we just started to give them Coconut oil.
Something I forgot was you might look into Krill Oil Reading somethings about it that it is better than Fish oil

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The article Thea posted would be excellent to give your vet. When Parker was having such a terrible summer, I started giving him a whole can a day and the sardines helped him so much it was hard to believe. Found out my neighbor was giving him cheap grocery store brand treats made out of various things he is allergic to. Sardines are great to give and really help build skin health. You can feed raw, uncooked, whole or chopped, frozen, any way your dog will eat them but cooked. Cooking will make bones dangerous. I also drain and rinse to wash off the salt. Just crack can some, drain, add water and drain. The best to give are packed in water, tomatoes or olive oil. Coconut oil is a different kind of fat and great also. You should be able to find some good stuff on internet. I'm on phone and cant link anything. Fish oil is good if you want to do that. You do have to suppliment w/vit E. Krill oil is better and vit E is already in it. You can use human kind. I buy at Walgreens 2 for 1 sales.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Please consider what the main food for allot of whales is krill now that humans are taking it too what will the whales eat.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
We buy fish oil at CVS, every few weeks they have Buy 1 Get 1 Free of the 100 count bottles. thats crazy cheap.
But I give Bronson 1 sardine a day out of the tin and it helps with his itching A LOT. But he's also only 40lbs. He used to eat fresh sardines but decided he didnt like them anymore (wierd)
Didnt really notice a difference with just the fish oil.
Also give Wheat Germ Oil as Vit E, like a teaspoon

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My local walmart always has the 200 count buy one get one free bottles of fish oil for $9.99. Each pill is 1000 mg.

My dog loves fish of any kind so he usually gets a sardine or two with each meal. Or smelt depending on what I can find. I have used the canned sardines on occassion, but usually my local asian grocery has massive sized, fresh sardines.

I also give him Vitamin E. His coat is gorgeous and so soft.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
We do fish oil every day, and my two split a can of sardines at least a few times a week. They both have nice coats.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey's cardiologist recommended that ALL dobes be on a High Quality Human grade Fish Oil. Make sure you get one that has all the Mercury taken out of it. Petey was on 1200mg 2X per day. Monty only gets one in the morning as he HATES them, so I squeeze it on his morning raw meal. I also give Coconut Oil to my Monty, I use it to take my make-up off and he hangs around while I do that begging for some, I can't resist his cute face. He hates having his nails clipped I use Coconut Oil to bribe him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts