Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lady that I got my baby girl just called me and said that she was diagnosed with lung cancer and doesn't have long to live. She has about 12 adults and 10 puppies that need homes NOW!!!!!! I have to admit that she is a byb but we (doberman lovers) can't let these precious dogs get put in bad homes or even worse the pound. If you are interested then call me at 985-662-9581. She is actually located in Longview, TX. Let's pull together and get these dogs loving homes.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The lady that I got my baby girl just called me and said that she was diagnosed with lung cancer and doesn't have long to live. She has about 12 adults and 10 puppies that need homes NOW!!!!!! I have to admit that she is a byb but we (doberman lovers) can't let these precious dogs get put in bad homes or even worse the pound. If you are interested then call me at 985-662-9581. She is actually located in Longview, TX. Let's pull together and get these dogs loving homes.
Where are you located? Based on your area code it looks like you are right near me. I don't really know how to help but it might be worth looking into some rescues in her area?

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
She needs to be in contact with reputable rescues right away.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hmm, color me skeptical.

I have heard, over the years, about a gajillion "health crises" from BYBs and greeders, necessitating a sudden, emotional-blackmail type sell-out of breeding stock.

Then, not long after, suddenly they are set up again, either with "new stock" or in other breeds.

If this person actually does have a real, documentable health issue, then I'm sympathetic to that, but she needs to do this in a responsible way, and contact some reputable rescues.

Once the animals are surrendered to rescue, I am sure folks would be more than happy to help the rescues with funding the dogs' care, at that point.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, color me skeptical.

I have heard, over the years, about a gajillion "health crises" from BYBs and greeders, necessitating a sudden, emotional-blackmail type sell-out of breeding stock.

Then, not long after, suddenly they are set up again, either with "new stock" or in other breeds.

If this person actually does have a real, documentable health issue, then I'm sympathetic to that, but she needs to do this in a responsible way, and contact some reputable rescues.

Once the animals are surrendered to rescue, I am sure folks would be more than happy to help the rescues with funding the dogs' care, at that point.
Well she told me that she wanted to contact the people who have bought from her before. We did not know that she was a byb until we drove 7 hours to get our female. By then we had already fallen in love with her.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Color me skeptical as well. Five months old sounds like "litter leftovers" to me.

However, on the off-chance this BYB has a legitimate health crisis, I advise she contact the Doberman Assistance Network to receive guidance in placing the pups appropriately and responsibly.

FWIW, Texas rescues are jam-packed (mostly with young adult uncropped males). I wonder if this BYB knows anything about this: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberma...-longview-texas-2-adults-kill-facilities.html. Oh, sorry. Is my cynicism showing? How rude of me...

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Well she told me that she wanted to contact the people who have bought from her before. We did not know that she was a byb until we drove 7 hours to get our female. By then we had already fallen in love with her.
Yeah, that's a typical tactic, as well.

Seen it a million times.

And, it had the desired effect, tugging at your heartstrings--relatives of the beloved pet you already have, etc.

Please be careful.

I wish there weren't folks in this world who would stoop so low as to lie about things like this, but there sure are--and they are plentiful.

It warrants caution, and checking things out factually, before proceeding.

Now that you know about BYBs, I am sure you don't want to enable one, in anything unethical. Better to check things out first.

Is she selling these dogs? To cover medical bills I'm sure..
Yep, that would be my bet, too. I've heard this story a bunch, over the years.

Funny, as much as I struggle with my own medical bills, I've never had to sell my animals (nor ever breed them) to finance my payments to doctors and hospitals--always found another way.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Please give us the name and contact number or email of this breeder and we will see if we can help her. You can send this information to [email protected]

Patricia
Doberman Assistance Network Inc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My partner and I have decided to go rescue the mother to our 7 month old. It would make me sad if she is pulling my leg but at this point I don't care. Living with us would give another Doberman a better life anyway.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
My partner and I have decided to go rescue the mother to our 7 month old. It would make me sad if she is pulling my leg but at this point I don't care. Living with us would give another Doberman a better life anyway.
I hope you don't pay this byb any money and further enable her...now that you know what a byb is and why you shouldn't enable them.

If you pay money for this dog, you are purchasing her from a byb, just like you bought the daughter. You are not rescuing. When you pay money to a rescue, you are rescuing because your money will go to help other rescues, not the unethical breeder!!!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.