Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to this forum and need some opinions on my pups ear crop situation! First time ear cropping as we
We got his ears cropped 9/9 and the stitches on the bell of his left ear don’t seem to be holding. But his right ear looks great.
The vet said it was looking ok. But I’m wondering if anyone has any advice?
Our vet is 2 hours from us so its annoying to drive back and forth.
Thank you in advance!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/494uAH

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Hi,

Is the link you posted pictures of his ear bases? It doesn't open for me so you might try to send it again.

The sutures on the 'bell' of the left ear? The bell is the back edge of the ear and those are just sutures on the pinna (the ear leather) What I suspect you are describing is the sutures at the base of the ear? Most American crops take a small 'v' section out at the base of the ear and suture the forward edge to the back edge and it's very common that the sutures at the top of the 'v' might come loose--sometimes they pull out entirely but most often nothing is done about that. Trying to resuture that area is 'iffy' at best because it is predominately cartilage and doesn't always grow back together and is often held together by the skin covering the area.

If it's really stitches on the bell that seem loose--I would not be concerned at all--that crop is 10 days old and has probably reached the point that vets who crop recommend removing the sutures in the pinna. The ear flap heals faster than the base and when I have a newly cropped puppy I like to remove or have removed the ear flap edge stitches at 10 or 11 days. Depending on what the base sutures look like I generally want them to stay in for another 4 to 6 days.

Congratulations on your new puppy.

dobebug

Try sending that link again if it's picture--maybe one of us can see if looks like a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the base! The cartilage is a bit exposed. And has been restitched once already. On 9/15.
I dont know how to attach photo here!
Could i send direct message to you?

·
Got mutt?
13,601 Posts
You need to open the photo by clicking on it, and then clicking on the share arrow (the one that swoops to the right), and then select BBCode from the sharing options. Then copy the code and past it into our post here. That needs to be done for each photo you want to share.

This is a tutorial with illustrations on sharing from Flickr. https://www.dobermantalk.com/new-member-introduction/290802-how-post-photo-using-flickr.html

Reactions: esims and melbrod

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
OK, I got the second try and that one came through just fine.

Please tell me this puppy doesn't already have posts in his ears? I see none of the sutures have been removed. AND I think that it looks like there is a post in the base of the ear--and that it appears it is putting enough pressure from the inside of the ear to cause enough stress on the lower sutures that it keeps tearing the base sutures and isn't allowing the original nor the second stitches to stay in place.

So I think that looks bad enough this is one I would have redone a third time. But if you have posts in the puppy's ear, please, take them out allow the ear base to heal and let the ears just hang until that base area heals.

You'll have plenty of time to post and get the ears standing but you do want that area healed before you start posting.

If you want to send picture to my gmail account--it's [email protected]. But often things that are posted and answered here at DT are very helpful for people who come along later looking for information about similar problems. I usually take a look at DT at least a couple of times a day--early morning always and sometimes in the evening as well.

dobebug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First photo is his right ear (healing normal to me)
Second is a close up of the left ear in the “V” (not looking normal)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The posts were from the initial crop surgery (vet put them in)
Ears have been flopped since tuesday 9/15

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
OK (I wish that someone could get the message across to the cropping vets about NOT POSTING ears until the edges are completely healed ).

I got the third pictures as well. The sutures of the upper ear (the pinna) are healed and can and should come out. It looks to me like the base of the left ear needs to be re-sutured and no post should be put in until that area is COMPLETELY healed.

If the base of the right ear is completely healed all the sutures can come out but if there are still sutures in the right base in that area and it isn't completely healed they should stay in a few more days.

It's often the case that the top couple of sutures at the base of a crop like that may open a little--but that's not a little. Personally I think it needs to be restitched.

Pretty puppy--looks like a nice crop except for that one problem at the very base.

dobebug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should we go back in for a 3rd restitch? And where do you think/recommend the stitches should go in to pull that “V” in like it is on the right ear ?

Thank you everyone for the help & advice! I have been stressing since yesterday (when i noticed the new stitches coming undone) and vet doesn’t open again until Monday morning.

I should’ve joined DT sooner!

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Should we go back in for a 3rd restitch? And where do you think/recommend the stitches should go in to pull that “V” in like it is on the right ear ?

Thank you everyone for the help & advice! I have been stressing since yesterday (when i noticed the new stitches coming undone) and vet doesn’t open again until Monday morning.

I should’ve joined DT sooner!
I would, but that's me--and I know people who wouldn't bother because it's hard to get a good set of stitches in that area (usually takes a bit of trimming to get clean tissue that will hold the sutures--but the vet would be the best judge of that--I do aftercare not suturing nor cropping. But I see a lot of problems and a lot of stuff that amazes me when vets do them. (like the posts in an unhealed ear).

One day more or less isn't going to make much difference. If you take him to emergency they usually don't have any surgeons who have a clue about cropping or what to do with a problem like that.

With the post out of there creating pressure against an area like the bottom of the crop you'll probably have better luck with it healing. But don't let the vet talk you into putting posts in at this point.

Good luck--you know what--if you don't do it (have the bottom resutured it's not the end of the world.) It may make it a little harder to keep a post in that left ear--but in the long run while it would be better to have a couple of sutures in there that did hold so the ear healed at that point. You, the puppy and his ear will be OK. When you talk to them on Monday, discuss it with the vet--ask him if he think he can get sutures in that will hold or is the tissue to much of a mess at this point. Make sure he listens to you and that you in turn listen to him.

Where'd you get this puppy? Did the breeder have the puppy cropped or did you have to find a vet to do it?

dobebug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You’re so right about most vets not having a clue! Our primary vet wouldn’t even consider helping (understandable). But even the one vet here in San Diego (Dr. Deo DVM) that does ear cropping is not doing any ear cropping or crop related help either.

We got him in Riverside, CA. We had
Ears cropped by Dr. Hopek DVM in Perris, CA.

Our female pups breeder recommended him. (Her ears look GREAT!) They had the sire & dam cropped there, along with a couple of the littermates as well.
Had both of them cropped on our own though.

I will take him Monday & see what they can do. I also fear infection w the pocket being that open/exposed.

Again, dobebug, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Classic picture Esims,

I like it. Good luck with Rusty's ear and stick around and keep the pictures coming--we love pictures of all dobermans.

dobebug

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Happy Monday, indeed!

That looks much better. Looking at it after it was sutured yet again--I'm making a guess here but I think when they stitched it the second time they didn't actually stitch through the cartilage at the base--only through the soft tissue and with the post in there there was enough pressure to pop those sutures--looks to me like they actually stitches through cartilage this time and it will have a much better chance of holding this time.

So YAY!

dobebug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Everyone! We’ve been MIA, but here are some updated photos! The time has come for posting our pups! Rusty’s ears have drawn the patience out of us, but it was well worth it!
Now Ripley, black female, has scratched at her ear with her first posts in and broke a lot of skin, so her ears are down again until that heals.
Also, we put the vetwrap on because they love to play outside so we preserve the regular tape by using the vetwrap. 🙂

The posted photos are from Oct2-Oct6
And no posts are from today! Enjoy ❤

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade

1 - 18 of 18 Posts