Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

So about a week ago I noticed a brown lump on ruperts chest and immediately rushed him other bed to have tests taken. They said the results came back as a hystiocytoma, which is a benign tumor which should go away on is own without any medication. However, yesterday it got alot more inflamed and he has been trying to itch at it (before he hadn't noticed it) from googling it, it looks just like he pictures however maybe a little more bloody.

I'm taking him back into the vets tomorrow to have another look at it, however I was wondering if anyone else had any further advice? I'll try and put up a pic later.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Rupert! I hope the lab results come back OK and it will recede on its own. However, given he has been irritating it and it is bloody, taking him back to the vet might be a good idea. Can he wear one of those e-collars/cones for a bit to prevent him from getting at it? Poor guy!

Lucy had a hystiocytoma on her ear last year - it never receded and had to be surgically removed. Thankfully, she couldn't get to it based on where it was located though, so never scratched it or anything.

I just noticed another tiny bump on her chest and had it biopsied on Monday. I am awaiting lab results but it seems to have already receded a bit. She has not been bothering it or scratching it. Hopefully it will be benign and will continue to recede on its own.

Sorry, I am not much help here! Sending good thoughts to you and Rupert!

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,350 Posts
Baron is on his 3rd hystiocytoma. He had one on his left leg right where his dew claw would have been. We had that removed because of where it was. Think he was about 2. About 1 1/2 ago he got one in the inside of his lip which is very unusual. We also had that one removed. He just started on another one about a month or so ago on the side of his muzzle. We had it aspirated to make sure and that is what it is. Going to wait and see if it goes away on its own but if it isn't gone by the end of January when he goes for his wellness exam, I will see if my vet recommends taking it off. If it is starting to bother Rupert, IMO I would see if your vet recommends removal.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your kind words and experiences!

Here are some pics (sorry, all bad phone pics)

In the pic above you can kind of see where it is, on his right hand shoulder, just above his tan markings.

By the sounds of it, if a dog develops it once, he's likely to develop it again? Does anyone know the cause; could it be by diet for example? :confused: Do you cover them up or leave them to the air? And how long did yours take to disappear (if at all?)

Im taking him tomorrow as its changed. It doesnt seem to be bothering him too much, as it has been bloody, so I think better safe than sorry. Extremely happy that its nothing to worry about, although supposed to have his first show mid Jan, I wonder if this means I'll have to cancel.

Edit// When I first got him as a puppy he had a tiny little lump on his muzzle which I suspected was an ingrown whisker. Upon plucking it out, it went a few days later. I wonder if this could be related?

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,350 Posts
I have never seen anywhere where there is a specific cause. What I do know now from the dermatologist we are going to that they are part of what is called "round cell tumors" and they are least to worry about. Could be genetics. Who knows how these thing develop? Hoping you get this one resolved and you never get another. Maybe someone else has an idea what causes them?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I googled it and apparently nobody knows. My 8 month old got a very ugly one and his foot and it is going away by itself, just like the vet said it would

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
This is a little late in responding. What i know is that is some cases they go away on their own and sometimes they are removed surgically.

There is also a method that they are now using, which is injecting a steriod into the tumor. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Worth a shot (no pun intended:)) if it takes care of it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Racyn's went away and I think what started to really help it along was a shot of cortisone directly into it. I'm glad we had that done.

Reactions: namaily and Amelia_

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again! :) Its actually been going away over the last few days. It started off large, hard and round, its now flattened down alot and is kind of crispy. Just in time for his first show on Saturday!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts