Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a Ruffwear pack or lifejacket for their Dobermans? I've been wanting to get a backpack for one or both Dobermans for a while but the ones I've tried on haven't fit properly (Outward Hound and another brand that I can't remember). And I've never tried a lifejacket on Ripley but want to to help him gain more confidence in swimming. I haven't tried any Ruff Wear stuff on them before but we will be ordering some for the store I work and I was thinking about ordering a couple extra for me. I guess the best way to know if they'd fit would be to find another store that carries them so I could try things on, but I was also wondering if any of you have Ruff Wear stuff for your dogs and if they fit well? I know all dogs are shaped and sized slightly differently, but most Dobes should be built similarly. The other packs I've tried sat too far down on their backs and flopped around.

ETA: If you do have one of their backpacks, which kind do you have and do you like it? Is it roomy enough to carry anything? I can't even fit a waterbottle in the Outward Hound one I have for Dance so I never use it.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use the pricier Ruffwear for Flirt. I got it at REI. Not home to check the size :( It's wonderful and I've had to haul her out of the river via the deck before from the handle and it held up to her 72 lbs quite nicely.

Reactions: Tollers-n-Dobes

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
http://www.dobermantalk.com/product-reviews/67749-backpacks.html

I posted in this thread yesterday on my two packs and the mods. Sizing is the key. The Ruffwear pack I have has plenty of room as does Tara's.

Lifejackets: I have the Ruffwear in large for Rex and it is perfect. He is about 27.5 and weighs about 85 pounds. Tara who is a tall girl, probably close to 27 and about 70 pounds is right between a large and medium with neither fitting her correctly. I'm still on the search for the right jacket for her that actually fits. Try them on! Ruffwear is a little weird regarding sizing.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ivan has the Ruff Wear Approach Pack. He's 81.5 pounds. I bought it in a medium, which fits a girth of 26 - 36 inches. Last time I checked I believe Ivan's girth was 30".

I have not purchased a life vest for Ivan yet.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I have both the Ruffwear backpack (Palisades) and the Ruffwear Lifejacket (looks like they don't sale the one I have)

I love the way both fit.

Jones has a chest around 32" I have bought a Medium Backpack and lifejacket.
Here are a couple of pictures of the lifejacket

The only thing I wish about the jacket is that maybe I would have got the next size to maybe have the jacket go all the way around, the 32 on Maks and Jones stops like this

And I only have video of the backpack
ears :: P9210492.mp4 video by JaxomWolfe - Photobucket

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
And this would be Ms. Bella and Mr. Jackson sporting their Ruffwear life vests - we love them!!

Bella

Jackson

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'm not too worried about the sizes you have inparticular if you're not sure, but mostly just whether the products fit on the dog like they're supposed to (so not too low, not too high). Dobermans seem shaped slightly different to a lot of dogs which I think is why I've been having trouble finding something that fits well. Either that, or my dogs are just weird, haha. I plan on measuring them for sure before I buy anything (I think Keira has a 30" girth and Ripley 33" but I will have to double check), but I was just curious about the actual fit itself. Other backpacks that should've been the right sizes for them just fit weird.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/product-reviews/67749-backpacks.html

I posted in this thread yesterday on my two packs and the mods. Sizing is the key. The Ruffwear pack I have has plenty of room as does Tara's.

Lifejackets: I have the Ruffwear in large for Rex and it is perfect. He is about 27.5 and weighs about 85 pounds. Tara who is a tall girl, probably close to 27 and about 70 pounds is right between a large and medium with neither fitting her correctly. I'm still on the search for the right jacket for her that actually fits. Try them on! Ruffwear is a little weird regarding sizing.
Sorry! I didn't see that thread and didn't think to look for one. The trouble you have with Tara seems to be an issue I run into with both of mine a lot. Especially Keira. Often she needs an inbetween size.

I sold Priscilla's Ruffwear LJ to someone Susan knows. Maybe they could bring it over there for you to try?
Thanks! That's a good idea but probably a pain for them to bring over just for me to try on. I am sure there must be a store around the has some in stock already that I could try first without inconveniencing anyone. :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Sorry! I didn't see that thread and didn't think to look for one. The trouble you have with Tara seems to be an issue I run into with both of mine a lot. Especially Keira. Often she needs an inbetween size.
UGh I run into this all the time with Flirt. Because she is unfortunately almost the ideal size of a male, 90% of the stuff I order comes to me too big if I follow the guidelines. She's only 72 lbs compared to say an 85 or 90 lb male at that size. The ruffwear fits her really nicely.

She would have sunk to the bottom here and poor girl started to panic. she went in herself off the deck but didn't like it at all :(
MVI 5493 - YouTube

She will have you know that this wekeend she swam without splashing about or sinking though. It ONLY took 5 years! No life jacket :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
We're kinda ruffwear freaks in this house :roflmao:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the palisades backpack. Love.. did I mention that? hehe. It fits fantastically, and I love the versatility. It can be a great harness (for working! You can even rappel off the harness) and also a backpack (for backpacking and hiking!). Its very comfy for her. We tried a few others and she didn't like them.. she'd shake, scratch at them, etc. She's happy to run and hike in the palisades.

We also have their coats, because they fit her silly chest well :) love those too! and the boots..

I haven't ordered a life jacket yet, because I don't think we need one- but probably will just to be safe and have one handy. When I do, you bet it'll be ruffwear.

They should pay me for as often as I recommend their gear! hehe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anyone if the backpacks by Zac and Zooey any good? I really like the camo one but dont wanna spend money if its cheap

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
We also have a Ruffwear pack and it seems to fit well. A bonus - the pack comes off the harness base so you can also have a harness if you need it. I've used it when scrambling around big loose rock blocks to help Si up and over them.

I'm a big fan of that company. Their stuff is very well designed - the designers obviously own dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts