Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... tonight at my show handling class.....
There are only 3 dogs in this round of the course.
Tonight there were only two dogs. Me and Rudy.... and another woman and her female bull terrier, and the instructor and his Australian Shepherd.

Last class the bull terrier did a bit of growling and fussing. But nothing eventful. Tonight.... it slipped out of it's collar....or the leash came off the collar..... and without hesitation, or provocation tore straight after Rudy and attacked. I pulled Rudy up and out of the way by the collar and kicked/stomped the other dog in the head around 10 times, kicking it away and keeping it out of reach from Rudy. But it was hell bent on getting to him.
It's owner finally tackled it and pinned it down....and I put Rudy into an empty crate in the room.

Rudy was squealing like a stuck pig......and peed too.

After the bull terrier was crated..... I took Rudy out and examined him....and for the most part no harm done. I didn't baby him. He looked ok....so I did a few around the rooms with him.....
Then some basic obedience that he knows......and a bit of play.

Then to the truck and put him in....and we left the class.
The other woman really injured her arm when she fell on her dog. She was crying and upset. I actually was even emotionally and fine. I didn't want Rudy to think it was a big deal. He is SO amazing with other dogs.....and I want to keep it that way. I actually think he's physically and emotionally ok.

I have a big scratch on my arm and my back feels a bit like it's out....the feeling you get when you lift something too heavy and pull something.
But for the most part, I just feel so happy/lucky that Rudy wasn't hurt.

He's only 5 months....and to this point has had the 'perfect' upbringing. ha
He's happy, healthy, social, smart, loves agility, has amazing off leash recall.
Just an all around amazing and well adjusted little guy.

Tomorrow we'll be back out to the beach by my house, to play and socialize with whoever is there.....back on the horse so to speak.

I did tell the owner of the school.....which is also where we do the agility.....and the class instructor.....who seemed to think that because it was a Bully.....that was how they were.....that I would not be going back to that class if that dog was there.

I know the breeds are different.....but none of my dobes have ever behaved this way. I don't want to have to worry that if it happens again, that we could be in serious trouble.

I guess.....my opinion is.....that I'm sure this was not that dog's first incident. I'm sure that owner has had warning signs before now. If your dog b line attacks without warning or cause because it 'got free' there has to be a problem. I don't know what the history or the case is. All I know is .....that's bad.

ps. Here's a little video I took the other day of my sweet smart Rudy....
So that he's not afraid of the tub or having a bath.

Rudy learns to tub it. - YouTube

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
How scary.

Sounds like you handled it fabulously.

Hope he shakes this off like nuttin' and keeps on being a happy boy.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Snip

I did tell the owner of the school.....which is also where we do the agility.....and the class instructor.....who seemed to think that because it was a Bully.....that was how they were.....that I would not be going back to that class if that dog was there.

I know the breeds are different.....but none of my dobes have ever behaved this way. I don't want to have to worry that if it happens again, that we could be in serious trouble.
As someone who has always wanted personally and my whole family to have a bull terrier and having known several both standard and mini, that is definitely not how that particular bully breed is or supposed to be. They are supposed to be the a strong driven dog yes but more than anything a lil kid in a dogs body.
When raised and bred correctly (like anything really) they are goofy, outgoing, and ever full of energy and snuggles while devoted to their family.

If that dog is really that bad i'd be suggesting the owner work heavily on socialization and perhaps not enter conf. at all or certainly not soon!

Hugs to rudy and mom for handling it like champs...hope there's no lasting damage to either of you :)

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheese and rice. I think I would have crapped my pants. Soooo glad Rudy is ok. I hope you will be ok too.

I can't remember one incident of a dog growling in any of our OB classes. How is this dog going to handle the ring, with other dogs around? :confused:
That's what I said to the instructor! Sometimes you have to assess what you have....not what you want to have. I wanted Lily to do agility and therapy....and she DID NOT LIKE IT. Therefore....Lily just chews sticks and sleeps on the couch! ha Maybe conf. is not for this dog....

And I agree with another post....you'd think a well balanced and social Bull Terrier would not behave like the one tonight. IMO that's scary behavior.

I'm just SO happy nothing worse happened. I'm pretty physically and mentally strong....I guess you'd say....I think most dobe people are.....right folks??? ha

Anyhow.....I was NOT going to let that dog get to Rudy.....and I stomped it with all my might.....and I don't think there's a scratch on my little Rudy. Thank god. And it took FOREVER for the other owner to get a hold of.....or rather tackle it.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Any dog (or person) messes with my dogs and it's on like donkey kong. I can get crazy dog mom in 2 seconds flat! hahahah

I'm just SO happy nothing worse happened. I'm pretty physically and mentally strong....I guess you'd say....I think most dobe people are.....right folks??? ha

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I'm sorry you guys had a bad night :( Dont let it get to you, you did the right thing. To make you laugh, my boy Ammo broke free in the middle of ob class and did the zoomies all around the ring and the other dogs! He was so goofy, then returned like nothing happened, sitting perfectly on the left side :jokersmil

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Any dog (or person) messes with my dogs and it's on like donkey kong. I can get crazy dog mom in 2 seconds flat! hahahah
I once lifted a nearly sixty pound gangly-legged red boy pup onto my head, and wore him like a Doberhat, because we unexpectedly were rushed by a very serious and nasty Sibe, while out on a walk.

No idea how I lifted and held him that high--you just get Mom-adrenaline, I guess.

I think Dapple handled this great, including the follow-up.

I also hate to think there's someone else out there, helping to chalk up more bad press for the Bully Breeds :(

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I'm glad that Rudy is okay, and that you're just making like it's same old same old. Really, he's probably thinking "geeze, what was that guy's problem?"

I've heard conflicting reports on Bull Terriers: that some of them are dog aggressive, and that's that, and that others are completely fine. I guess it's another one of those "dog by dog basis" things; I love the look of them, and so does my fiance. An online buddy of mine has a rescue BT with three other dogs, and has reported no aggression problems. So, I really just have no idea. I do hope that lady works with her dog and tries to figure out what's right for him, and her. Attacking at a handling class doesn't seem like that kind of performance is where he's most comfortable :(

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I once lifted a nearly sixty pound gangly-legged red boy pup onto my head, and wore him like a Doberhat, :(
I actually Laughed Out Loud....here in my house by myself....well the two dogs are here.....but....you know.

Doberhat. WOW that is impressive.

When Strider was young.....my last male who died last fall....
A youngish....1 or 2 year old Rottie was b lining to us....and I could tell it was going to be no good....

I don't know what i was thinking....but I picked that Rottie up by the scuff and threw it back down the path it just came from.

When adrenaline starts....crazy things can happen!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Phew, that could have gone a lot worse! I'm glad he's none worse for the wear, poor dude! Hopefully the Bull Terrier lady has the sense to not come back.

PS - I'm kidnapping Rudy's natural eared brother next weekend. ;)

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phew, that could have gone a lot worse! I'm glad he's none worse for the wear, poor dude! Hopefully the Bull Terrier lady has the sense to not come back.

PS - I'm kidnapping Rudy's natural eared brother next weekend. ;)
I was thinking the same thing....if it had caught a back leg.....how would you ever get those jaws to open!!! I don't even want to think about it!

REALLY!!!! I love that guy. Is he just staying for a visit? Or are you keeping him? He's so handsome.....
Can you send me some pics when you get a chance? Sandi, as you know is bad at email! ha I'd love to see him! My email is [email protected]

dapple is the name of my first dog. He was a beagle. Remind me not to do that again! haa. But he was sweet.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go through that with your puppy, you try so hard to keep them safe and people still find a way to get their dangerous dogs to your puppy! Thats what it seems like sometimes, anyway.

Hope little Rudy wasn't fazed, and he'll keep right on his way to being a confident young man!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I was thinking the same thing....if it had caught a back leg.....how would you ever get those jaws to open!!! I don't even want to think about it!

REALLY!!!! I love that guy. Is he just staying for a visit? Or are you keeping him? He's so handsome.....
Can you send me some pics when you get a chance? Sandi, as you know is bad at email! ha I'd love to see him! My email is [email protected]

dapple is the name of my first dog. He was a beagle. Remind me not to do that again! haa. But he was sweet.
I'm going to see if I can drum up some interest in him. I didn't think it would be so hard to place a natural eared red male with champion parents in a loving pet home! So many people say they prefer natural ears, but when a puppy with natural ears is actually available from a good breeder, all those people disappear! ... he really is a great dog, hopefully I can get a lot of pictures of him, and someone will fall in love with him and want to take him home. I just have to try very hard to not want to keep him for myself! (Would never happen, of course - I won't do multiple males - but he sure is a sweetie!)

Reactions: dapple and bubsy

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
... I didn't think it would be so hard to place a natural eared red male with champion parents in a loving pet home! So many people say they prefer natural ears, but when a puppy with natural ears is actually available from a good breeder, all those people disappear! ..
<swoon>

If only my inn--and my life, weren't so full.

That's my dream boy, sigh.

...When Strider was young.....my last male who died last fall....
A youngish....1 or 2 year old Rottie was b lining to us....and I could tell it was going to be no good....

I don't know what i was thinking....but I picked that Rottie up by the scuff and threw it back down the path it just came from.

When adrenaline starts....crazy things can happen!
Bwahahaha!

I would have loved to see the look on that Rottie's face!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I'm going to see if I can drum up some interest in him. I didn't think it would be so hard to place a natural eared red male with champion parents in a loving pet home! So many people say they prefer natural ears, but when a puppy with natural ears is actually available from a good breeder, all those people disappear! ... he really is a great dog, hopefully I can get a lot of pictures of him, and someone will fall in love with him and want to take him home. I just have to try very hard to not want to keep him for myself! (Would never happen, of course - I won't do multiple males - but he sure is a sweetie!)
I wish I could convince my fiance that no, really, we have room for two Dobermans. I even said we'd crate train Hypothetical Doberman Number 2, to manage their unsupervised time (Read: when he's sleeping for work) and he confessed that he's actually against crating. I'm also not sure I could convince him of a natural eared boy, red or otherwise. So I guess this post actually has no point.

Move on. Nothing to see here. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
178 Posts
The puppy fever.... So strong..... If I was ready for a pup, I'd snap him up in a New York minute. Sounds perfect to me! Sigh.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts