Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a few (yeah, right!) of those Rudi pictures some of you have requested! LOL

We like hiking in graveyards (during daylight hours, of course!)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Rudi is so handsome. That is a really neat looking graveyard. I always love the old historical ones.

Reactions: Riagogogo

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Rudy Rudy Rudy do ya do ya....oh yeah its Ruby?! I just love love love him! I bet you feel totally blessed every day when you wake up and there he is!

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I do!
What a wonderful first Dobie he has been, they are all different and unique in their own ways. He and I are a true testament to your sig quote.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I love old graveyards too. Looks like Rudi does too. He looks like he is really enjoying himself.
What is the deal on this graveyard, name, location?? It looks like parts of it are military. It is a beautiful one.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Looking good! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes cemeteries. (LOL, now please tell my wife it is not being disrespectful to walk Lena amongst the tombstones.)

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Great pictures ~ what a great place to hike. Lots of room for Rudi to run & no one to bother you :) He is looking as handsome as ever!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's got kind of a cool history.....but sad because of previous neglect. Of course I pick up Rudi's poo, and we also pick up litter as we hike......so we try to do our part. The place is beautiful and as you can see.....very hilly. You have to watch it, there are holes in the ground in some places.

Hillcrest Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio

Exerpts from:
Forgotten veterans: Few care enough to restore graves
By Michael Rutledge, Cincinnati Post staff reporter

They crawled through the deadly trenches of France during World War I, and they survived. But their country lost them in the hillsides of Anderson Township.
Veterans lie in unmarked graves across Ohio. In many cases, their grave markers were stolen by vandals. In others, the markers were removed so the cemetery land could be developed above them. And in still others, the burial grounds were so neglected they almost are invisible.

Mary Remler of Indian Hill knows firsthand how badly those who gave their lives have been treated.

Several years ago she spent a month crawling through honeysuckle vines on the hillsides of the 12-acre Hillcrest Cemetery in Anderson Township, searching for their headstones. She concluded 222 veterans of World War I, 11 Spanish Amer ican War veterans, three Civil War veterans and seven who served extended military service were lost.
''I think it's a real crime, myself,'' she says. ''People have served us well, and to be ignored, just because they were penniless, or down on their luck, or had no one to care for them. It's a crime.''

While some burial grounds languish in obscurity, others have been restored and carefully tended by communities.
Bones do come out occasionally at Hillcrest. The cemetery's condition drew outrage earlier this decade when Gulf War families and veterans' groups complained about it.

Since then, county Municipal Judge Edward Donnellon, who himself served as a top-turret gunner on a B-26 bomber during World War II, has sentenced minor misdemeanants to perform community service by working at the cemetery. ( I see them on occasion cutting grass and weed eating)

Ms. Remler has spent hundreds of hours the past two decades for the Hamilton County chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society plotting out who is buried where in local cemeteries, sometimes with groups of a half dozen, other times with one person. While researching who was in Hillcrest Cemetery in 1989, she was helped by the WPA's 1939 research into the burials there. That's how she knew to look for the 243 veterans' markers she couldn't find.

''There's been lots of cemeteries just obliterated over the years,'' she said. ''It's all over. It's not just Hamilton County.''

Hillcrest Cemetery is an abandoned burial ground, which independent researcher Adele Blanton of Montgomery found was platted in 1929 by three white brothers, Guy, Loyd and Roy Lancaster, one of whom lived in Hyde Park. She believes the cemetery began as a cemetery for whites and later became an African-American cemetery.

Eventually, Union Baptist Church, which operates two other cemeteries, took over the cemetery's operation during the mid-1960s, but never took over the land's deed.

In 1959, the county bought enough room for 885 veterans' graves for a total cost of $42,818. This year, township Administrator Henry Dolive argued that because most of the graves are of blacks, and few blacks historically have lived in the township, his area should not be responsible for the land's upkeep.

''It's hard to say that without sounding like a racist, which is not what we're working on here,'' he said. He also argues Ohio law is unclear on who should take over.

But Ronald J. Rotaru, the Ohio Department of Commerce's superintendent of real estate and professional licensing, says the law is clear: ''The township takes it over. That's when the cries (from townships claiming financial hardships) come in.''
''It's our heritage,'' he said. ''It's part of our history, and it's important to us. If you keep the past alive, you'll remember it.''
Publication date: 05-26-97

So 10 years after this article was published..........From the sweat of many volunteers.......it has become a better place. Head stones range from 1880's to 1970's from what I've seen. The area near the American flag has many WWI/WW2 vets.
These are pics without Rudi, and my favs of the cemetery....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My sister's backyard dead ends (LOL) into a small very old cemetery. They love horror, sci-fi movies.....so we'll sit out on their deck drinking a few alcoholic beverages and contemplate what we'd do if a Dawn of the Dead scenerio started. Glad he's a member of the NRA. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
The cemetery is beautiful and Rudi just beautifies it even more.

When we lived in Loveland we had our house built right behind a very old cemetery and we would find gravestones inches from our door that were so old we couldn't read the writing on most of them. I felt so bad that all these graves were forgotten and that somebody loved these people whose graves were littering our woods and backyard.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't imagine that this was soooo overgrown 10 years ago. A tremendous amount of work has been done to bring it back....The most recent burial I could find was about 1973. This is the most unique stone I found...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Very nice pictures.

There is an old (for California) cemetery in my town I wish I could visit with Mensa, but they don't allow dogs. They're still burying people there so someone's there all the time to keep an eye on the place.

Our cemetery is full of tree-squirrels. Mensa could get her exerscise treeing them and I could sit back and relax.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well there's Mr. Wudi!! He sure is a handsome boy! LOVE LOVE LOVE him!!

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
hey, great pictures. I am also a lover of old cemeteries and have often enjoyed walking through them reading old headstones and wondering about the life of the person buried there. I have not done that in a long time actually. Our last house backed up to a small quaint church and cemetary dating back to the 1860's - it was well kept, and we always joked that the neighbors behind us were very quiet :)

I think the key to walking your dog in a cemetary is respecting where you are at and leaving it at least as nice as you found it. I'm sure that the inhabitants don't mind the company <grin>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes!! Rudi pics! I have not been on line for a while. What a treat to find new Mr. Rudi pics. He is so photogenic. Thanks Riagogogo!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts