Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fed it to my kitten since I weaned her off of formula and she does great on it. Beautiful coat and teeth. Healthy bms. She has developed some weird drinking habits (drinks out of everything but her bowl) but I don't think its related to the food lol.

Does anyone know how it works with dogs? What foods do you recommend and why?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
10 years ago, I sold RC - but only for my first year...in retail.
- price point is high for a kibble with corn, brewers rice and beet pulp fillers
- on this food, my dog lost 90% of her dandruff
I just consider it slightly better than Iams or Science Diet.

Started selling Canidae (free of common fillers) and it was at a similar price point as RC...and at 4 cups/100lb. dog, vs. 5.5 RC cups...Canidae saved me money.
- and I noticed my dog, lost the remaining 10% of her dandruff...after I switched

RC is all marketing...and now sold at the Vets, when company bought the Medical division.
- they just have to many different bags for specific breeds / just BS, from retailer experience
Best and early decision in my business (I made), was to stop selling RC...just doesn't have the real value.

My Amy has eaten:
Canidae ---> Platinum (senior)
Holistic-Blend Lamb & Rice
Organix
Listed in increasing $$ order.
I have often give her food variety...done really well, on any of the above brands listed, for several years. (now add home cooked meals, daily...plus kibble).

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
First, I wouldnt raise a cat on dog food as the taurine is too low and I think that results in blindness eveventually. Also, cats must have meat which RC has little of. Your cat will not be as healthy as it could be just eating RC, which I wont feed because of its low quality. I recommend Natures Variety Instinct, Acana, and Orijen. They all have high quality ingredients and high meat content, NVI and Orijen the highest out of the three. For more information on how to read labels and understand ingredients read the second site below in my signature. I tend to recommend NVI to people who have dogs with sensitive stomachs and/or allergies because of its unique and simple ingredients, giving dogs with problem less to react to. The Orijen and Acand I recommend to people with normal dogs who want high quality grainless foods. For foods with grain, Natures Variety has a Prairie line. There are other good foods out there, these are the ones I have fed my allergy boy and recommened with good results.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, I wouldnt raise a cat on dog food as the taurine is too low and I think that results in blindness eveventually. Also, cats must have meat which RC has little of.
Just assuming here, but she's probably feeding her cats the RC cat food.

THat being said. It's not the lowest quality food out there but it's also not one of the better ones. I find the price to be quite high for the quality and there are better foods (Orijen, TOTW, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Innova, etc).

·
Registered
826 Posts
I feed it to my pup as it was her breeders choice I will be changing shortly as it makes her breath smell although she has no dandruff and has firm stools, she also seems to love the taste. My older girl is on the Canidae salmon formula and when she tries to steal little ones food she gets ill as I guess her body can no longer tolerate RC like it used too.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I feed it to my pup as it was her breeders choice I will be changing shortly as it makes her breath smell
Is your pup teething? Teething pups' breath reeks... it is what it is, it goes away when teething is done, and it's got nothin' to do with food.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have fed it to my kitten since I weaned her off of formula and she does great on it. Beautiful coat and teeth. Healthy bms. She has developed some weird drinking habits (drinks out of everything but her bowl) but I don't think its related to the food lol.
Neither here nor there, but I would get your kitten a water fountain, particularly if all you are feeding is kibble (which should NOT be the case!). Check out Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health for all things cat... diet and hydration (and medical consequences of long-term sub-clinical dehydration found often in kibble cats) and loads of other good info.

As others have said, Royal Canin is OK... not great art but not the bottom of the barrel. There are better choices.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes she is teething, I should have made myself clearer. The food has a very distinct smell compared to other foods I have tried as soon as you open the packet its very pungent and it lingers on her breath. I am not adverse to RC in any way except for the way it lingers in my kitchen and on my pup :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Neither here nor there, but I would get your kitten a water fountain, particularly if all you are feeding is kibble (which should NOT be the case!). Check out Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health for all things cat... diet and hydration (and medical consequences of long-term sub-clinical dehydration found often in kibble cats) and loads of other good info.

As others have said, Royal Canin is OK... not great art but not the bottom of the barrel. There are better choices.
She gets rc wet food as well :) half a can a day but it makes her fart! I distinctly remember a male cat my parents had that had to have surgery because he was only getting dry food. They have fed wet food ever since and so do I. She has a lot of weird habits with water. Drinks out of faucet shower toilet if I forget to shut the lid. Also sucks on my hair at bedtime and suckles when she is dreaming. I have read this can be due to weaning too early but the only way this is possible is if the vet I got her from got her age wrong or I mis-heard her. (she was supposed to be 5 weeks started mixing formula at 6 and was completely weaned at 8) I have been putting serious thought into buying a kitty water fountain. My friends think I'm crazy...idc. I read that some cats dislike standing water as it could be stagnant or harbor predators.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
My cats really like their Drinkwell platinum fountain. Cats are notoriously bad drinkers, and that's because they are designed to get most of their moisture through their food, not through drinking. My cats are also on an all canned food diet, as dry food is particularly inappropriate for cats. See more information that here: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health. If I were going to feed solely dry food, I would not choose Royal Canin. I would look for something with a much higher protein and much lower carb content.

For dogs, I've been feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice for a while now and am very happy with it. I've previously fed Nature's Domain, and Orijen, and been happy with both of those. My dogs get additional stuff with their kibble most days - cottage cheese, raw egg, sardines, etc.

Reactions: caitegrace
1 - 10 of 10 Posts