Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I didn’t post earlier, but honestly I can’t cope with this again right now. But around 7/8pm Sunday night Roxy was restless and pacing, her stomach looked a little large so we took her to the local animal hospital to be safe. And sure enough she had bloated, full torsion !! A hefty deposit later the surgeon was in there quickly. They called around 1am to say surgery went well and that there was no damage or blood loss to the stomach/spleen or intestines.

I couldn't see her due to this STUPID CORONAVIRUS !!! And believe me; not even being able to go in with her and potentially say goodbye was heart breaking enough. But looks like we caught it early again & vet seemed happy with her progress!

Roxy's Brother bloated 3 years ago so we were aware of the early signs. But I was so so scared due to her age this time round. I am pleased to say it's day 4.5 the swelling and redness has calmed down and she is more alert. She hates being in the diaper again, but I don't expect her to hold her bladder during this time. I will try and keep you updated! But so far, so good!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Awfully sorry to hear about Roxy and the bloat. Very scary thing to have at any time but with all of the restrictions of various medical services including vets it's even worse.

I wish it was one of the things that more people knew about--having a near relative who has bloated and old age are two things that increase the likelyhood of bloat.

Give her lots of pets from me...

doberbug

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I am so glad the news is good. My heart stopped when I first read the headline. I was afraid to read it. So thankful she is home and recovering! Hugs!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Dobiegirl, was there anything you did different the night she bloated? Different food? water? play after eating? My daughters Doberman bloated last May and she goes over and over what she may have done or could have done differently or signs she may have missed.

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
How scary and worrying. Glad she is improving.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,599 Posts
Glad to hear you caught it early and she's doing ok!

·
Super Moderator
21,280 Posts
So glad you caught the signs early!

My understanding is that the risk of bloat increases with age. I'm so thankful to hear she did well with the surgery and is recovering. What a huge scare, especially at her age, and really especially during this crazy time.

Cressrb, this is one of the best, most comprehensive reads I've found on bloat: https://bigdogmom.com/bloat-in-dogs/. Basically, the biggest risk factor is genetics. Know your pedigrees. Know the signs. Have a bloat kit.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Got to thinkin about your story and having to release your dog for surgery .......in the way that you did....
That took so much courage My friend......just wanted you to know this.....congrats looks like you have made it to the other side. Whew!!
Hopes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dobiegirl, was there anything you did different the night she bloated? Different food? water? play after eating? My daughters Doberman bloated last May and she goes over and over what she may have done or could have done differently or signs she may have missed.
I think about it over and over again too. When Tyler bloated he had been getting into the compost bin for 3 days straight, I blamed that even though my vet said its a random thing & you cannot prevent it in some breeds.

With Roxy we had just changed her diet to include puppy food and a calorie booster liquid. We had also ran out of her usual dehydrated raw and was using a crap kibble (soaked, but still...) But she didn't do any exercise after eating, just a short walk around the campsite about 2 hours after dinner. I think as someone else said, old age and genetics play a big part. I will have my next dobie tacked for sure!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Almost 2 weeks ago she bloated. She is doing well. Very thin, so added some wet puppy food to the lunch time regime. But other than that, acting like nothing happened!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Glad Roxy has recovered. Good on you knowing the signs and knowing that Bloat is an emergency!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts