Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i teach my dog to stop barking on command ? Because when someone come close to my house she start barking and it take long time before she stop. And sometime she bark for almost nothing.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You could try the technique at rewarding quiet behaviour. Once barking, you wait for her to stop and say 'quiet' and treat immediately. You just need to make sure she has been quiet for a few seconds, so it’s clear you're rewarding the quiet behaviour (instead of the barking). When she starts barking again and then stops, you say 'quiet' again, and then gradually lengthen the time before treating.

It takes a lot of patience, but does work! Good luck :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
When Nubis was a pup and we napped together if he got vocal, I would say "shish" very quietly, sometimes repeating it and and when went silent I would say quiet and when he did "goodboy" acknowledging I was pleased.
It was easy for us as his crate is in our bedroom and its quiet, so he grasped the command quiet pretty quick .

Reactions: mmctaq

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You could try the technique at rewarding quiet behaviour. Once barking, you wait for her to stop and say 'quiet' and treat immediately. You just need to make sure she has been quiet for a few seconds, so it’s clear you're rewarding the quiet behaviour (instead of the barking). When she starts barking again and then stops, you say 'quiet' again, and then gradually lengthen the time before treating.

It takes a lot of patience, but does work! Good luck :)
Any dog that is half smart (and, Dobermans tend to be 100% smart!) will realize that in order to be rewarded for stopping barking, it is necessary to first start barking. Just sayin'...

I would rather ask for an incompatable behavior (sit with attention is good) or banish the dog briefly or use a verbal correction or something. I do check when a dog is barking, and thank them for alerting me to whatever is out there (that is their job!), but then I make it clear that they are done once I am alerted.

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Shanoa can be quite the barker. I don't mind alert barking (they are Dobermans, after all), but once I've told her "enough" I expect her to quit. If she doesn't, she either gets removed from the room briefly (I put her in the guest bathroom with the door shut for a few minutes) or she gets squirted with a water bottle. Generally I don't use much punishment with her, but with the barking in particular I had to. I am okay with it since neither punishment is painful or damaging, but rather simply aversive to her.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Any dog that is half smart (and, Dobermans tend to be 100% smart!) will realize that in order to be rewarded for stopping barking, it is necessary to first start barking. Just sayin'...

I would rather ask for an incompatable behavior (sit with attention is good) or banish the dog briefly or use a verbal correction or something. I do check when a dog is barking, and thank them for alerting me to whatever is out there (that is their job!), but then I make it clear that they are done once I am alerted.
I dont know if I've upset you or something, as you seem to nit-pick at almost every advice post I make? I dont claim to be an expert, I purely state methods which have worked for me. Rewarding a dog for being quiet does not make it bark more, and the OP didnt state that she doesn’t want the dog to bark at all. She stated the dog barks too much, and she want to be able to stop the dog barking on command.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I have always found the going to check routine works well. I check out whatever it is that caused the bark, then say it's okay, then reward with attention or "good boy" then introduce a distractor activity. As "okay" is my release word...it's as though he's performed a task. Although it could have been a problem when i wasn't there to 'release' him, according to neighbours he wasn't a constant barker and only barked if something was there. In other words he just did his job. It didn't take long until I could trust that if he barked...there was someone out there.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
My first male after getting almost attacked would flip seeing dogs walking by, barking excessively and trashing the window blinds. When he was braindead to the quiet command, I would give him a timeout in the crate. Eventually he got it and would give a bark or two, I would say yeah its a dog. If he went on I would point at the crate, he would settle, cuz the next incident he would be in the crate. Being consistent is key.
Once he catches on, then get a stranger friend come by(who never met him, nor will they visit) and beat on the door and then allow it.
Cuz now you defined their job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first male after getting almost attacked would flip seeing dogs walking by, barking excessively and trashing the window blinds. When he was braindead to the quiet command, I would give him a timeout in the crate. Eventually he got it and would give a bark or two, I would say yeah its a dog. If he went on I would point at the crate, he would settle, cuz the next incident he would be in the crate. Being consistent is key.
Once he catches on, then get a stranger friend come by(who never met him, nor will they visit) and beat on the door and then allow it.
Cuz now you defined their job.
The thing it i am scare to punish her by putting her in his crate. It was a hard time for her to be confortable in her crate.

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
The thing it i am scare to punish her by putting her in his crate. It was a hard time for her to be confortable in her crate.
I would NOT use a crate time out if she doesn't completely love the crate. That could backfire for sure.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Alternatively, you could teach the "speak" command first, and praise the speaking. Then give whatever your release command is "okay" or whatever and treat for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts