1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gahanna, Ohio
Infant Bitten By Dog
Oct 11, 2005, 03:42 PM EDT

An infant was attacked by the family dog, a Rottweiler. It is a dog some neighbors say was a menace in the community, and now police are saying it too.

The 11-month-old boy is back at home after being bitten by the dog, but the family say the dog was not the problem, it was their neighbors.

Panic is evident in Melvin Long's voice minutes after his Rottweiler Apollo attacked his 11-month-old son.

Police say the little boy was walking in a hallway in the home at 1357 Dunrovin Drive when the dog attacked.

One neighbor, who did not want to be identified, says, "Unfortunately it had to be their child but all of us knew at some point this would happen."

The neighbor says the Rottweiler was often out without a leash and charged at people.

"He would occasionally, while you were out walking your dog. Sometimes the owner was there, sometimes the dog had gotten out while people were in the home watching the kid, the child," she says.

They are all incidents documented by police.

Gahanna Police Lieutenant Jeff Spence says, "We've cited the owner previously for a prior at large violation and for a dangerous and vicious animal violation."

"It can happen with small dogs it can happen with big dogs it was just an unfortunate thing," says Ann Marie McGeehan, who lives next door to the Longs.

McGeehan says Apollo was a good dog.

"I think it's unfortunate I think because Apollo is a Rottweiler. I think people automatically assumed that he is a vicious dog and I'm not sure the community has given him enough of a chance," McGeehan says.

Off-camera the Longs say the community never liked them so they often made unjust complaints about the dog, but do plan to put the dog down.

"I think they want to protect their son. I think that is hard enough as it is. I mean, no one wants their own animal to attack," says McGeehan.

Gahanna police say they wanted to get an order to take the dog, but by law the owner has the right to quarantine the dog for ten days.

Long says the dog is locked in their sunroom and says the family will put him down within 10 days.

·
Registered
416 Posts
"It can happen with small dogs it can happen with big dogs it was just an unfortunate thing," says Ann Marie McGeehan, who lives next door to the Longs.

McGeehan says Apollo was a good dog.

"I think it's unfortunate I think because Apollo is a Rottweiler. I think people automatically assumed that he is a vicious dog and I'm not sure the community has given him enough of a chance," McGeehan says.

I like this lady she is one of the few you speaks the truth about all types of dogs. It is a shame that this had to happen if they were given a ticket for at large violation and for a dangerous and vicious animal violation they owners should have done something to correct it. It sounds like they just ignored it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep You would Think, after the Two Violations, they would do something, to ensure that the Dog, was Handled better and Watched more closely. Shame Shame Shame

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it's a shame that there are so many people that own dogs like this that shouldn't. People automatically think the dog is a terror, when in fact it's a bad owner.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Poor kid, poor dog. If the dog has charged at people before why didn't the owners try to stop this? Also where were the parents when the child was "attacked"?

I would have to agree with SamHayne! Just because dogs aren't born bad, they don't wake up and say "Hey I think I am going to attack my owners child today" There is something that leads them to that. There is always something. From what I know (which I will admit isn't much) dogs just don't "turn" on their owners.

·
Registered
281 Posts
thats awfull..it makes me mad though ...i will watch my dog like a hawk when i have a child ..i will never leave them alone for a second.. my mum never left me and my brother alone with our dogs a they were a terrier and a collie ..she says you can never know what will happen ~ which is true like in this case where the dog was seemingly un-provoked. Like Gracie said i think there is something deeper for a dog to lunge out like that on a family member.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts