Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My puppy is just getting done teething. He is a little over 5 months now. He appears to have 2 canines on one side growing in. I assumed that the other would fall out or just get pushed to the side. Well I look today and it looks the the tooth is rotten! I am assuming this is one of his baby teeth? What to do? Is this vet trip worthy or will it just fall out. (its not loose yet)

Any advice, experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,479 Posts
At the age of 5 months, you have time to work on the tooth yourself--wiggle it gently; give him lots of chew toys and play games like tug of war, for example, in hopes you can work it loose. All in moderation, of course.

If the tooth does not come out on its own within the next month or so, it probably means a trip to the vet. He will need to put him under anesthesia and pull the tooth--an expense, but better than the adult tooth being forced to grow crooked where it might possible interfere with another tooth and cause a fracture.

I would watch the tooth and gums for signs of infection and for signs that the adult tooth is being pushed out of alignment. It certainly wouldn't hurt to visit your vet and get his opinion about the timing of all this--in fact, that is probably what I would do first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts