Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey DT! Sorry I haven't updated you in a little while, but Rocky has made leaps and bounds of progress! He is one of the most amazing dogs I have ever met. (I am a bit biased though!)

A little while ago, he finished and graduated from his first basic obedience class. It was a great class and we some very good socialization. I'm looking at joining my trainer's playgroup sessions so Rocky can learn better manners in that controlled environment.

The BIG thing though, is that we took him to an event that has started up in our area called "Downtown Tuesdays" or something like that. It is a street fair type of thing, and some friends of ours run a Pony-party business and work there. This event is literally a socializing playground! There are loads of people (more than normal today), a band playing, bounce houses and slides, dogs walking, children running around with balloons, you get the picture. We hang out for a little bit by our friend's, watching and taking in everything that is going on. Rocky is unsure but not ridiculously stressed. He actually seems to be interested in everything and never once tried to hide. Later on, we start milling about in the crowds...talk to a few vendors, etc. Rocky is acting like Prince Charming and I'm on cloud 9! He got spooked by a few people who screamed and a child who threw their ball at him, but we played "Look at That" and walked it all off.

A few people approached us to ask about him or see if they could pet. I wanted to take things easy, so this visit we mostly did watching and taking in everything that is going on. He is consistently looking strangers in the eye and not unduly retreating when they approach or look at him, even reaching over his head! It will be a long time before I simply say "Yes you can pet him" but we have made fantastic progress! Annie (our dachshund) has finally resigned herself to the fact that he is here and not leaving, so they drink from the same water bowl, occasionally tolerate each other on the same bed, and even play a little!

Pictures will come as soon as we get them off the cellphone. Next tuesday I'll have to make sure to bring our real (albeit crappy) digital camera. Well, there you have it. I still can't believe we have such an amazing dog, he is truly a gift.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I love the comments I hear from people passing. The most resounding one is: "I once wanted to have a dog like that/that type of dog/that breed". Oh so you wanted a mutt? I see...just what type of dog is he? Haha!

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like we can't get the photos off the phone, so you will have to wait until next week when we bring our real camera! Oh well, we'll have more of them that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts