Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll get right to it;

Wednesday night Rocco threw up a little bit but everything else seemed normal so we just throught it was a minor stomach upset and kept an eye on him.
Well, Thursday morning he wouldn't eat his food (normally when we put it down and tell him its ok, his food is gone in 2 seconds)
He'd go back and forth to it throughout the day and take little nibbles so then we knew something was up.
Thursday night he threw up 5 times in a row... the first 4 times was the food he'd been trying to put down throughout the day and the last time was bile.
We immediately made a vet appt.
Friday morning the vet took blood and tested it and everything was clear, felt around his belly, didnt find anything unusual, took his temperature, it was normal. So she gave him a shot to help if there is any stomach pain, a white liquid to coat his stomach and pills we are to give him once a day for 5 days. (The medicine is called ranitidine)
Since then he hasn't thrown up at all but he still isnt eating. Well, he still goes to take a nibble here and there but it's not normal. Sometimes he gets a little shakey too.

We havent drastically changed his diet in any way. The only thing we have done is take him off puppy and move him to all life stages. Same brand (orijen) and we incorporated it slowly so as to not cause any upsets.
He still runs around and plays, he's not lethargic or anything

Does anyone have any advice or insight as to what this may be?
Is it just taking a few days for things to get back to normal?

Please help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She took his blood.
I don't know if they were looking for something in particular but it came back all clear. Would that have shown up if he had it?

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
has he pooped? and if so...what was it like?
also has he de-stuffed anything soft lately? ....chewed on anything he shouldn't?

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
No advice, but I hope is is back to normal soon.

Reactions: Stina

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He just took the biggest dump of his life. 2 seconds ago lol.
He was so proud of himself.
As for de-stuffing, no. He only has hard rubber toys like the kong and a tire and bones.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
perhaps after the big poop he will feel better and eat better? Fingers crossed he was only constipated.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I'm not sure if a CBC or chemistry panel picks it up or not. Perhaps call your vet to ask about it.

She took his blood.
I don't know if they were looking for something in particular but it came back all clear. Would that have shown up if he had it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello! I hope your dog is doing better. I am glad he just had a big bowel movement. Did you check it to see if there was something in it that could have explained if something was obstructing??

You said your food was Orijen. Is it Orijen 6 fishes? My girl did not react too well to the 6 fishes from Orijen. But she is doing great on the Orijen red meat.

Do you give your dog treats like rawhide bones? or pig ears? I used to give rawhide bones to my dogs because it help to keep their teeth clean, but there are risk of bowel obstruction when the dog swallow a big chunk of the rawhide. Rawhide takes a longer time to digest than the regular food so they can be moved in the intestine before they are ready.

Same thing with the pig ears but they are even worst than rawhide bones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts