Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I understand that Rommel is too young to start this (he's 8 months) but have any of you done this with your dobes?

I know that you can do it from the car - leash out the window (I read the article on DPCA website. Or you can do it with a bike and a springer. I would eventually like to do an AD (Schutzhund Endurance Title) with Rommel.

Have any of you done this either way? Pro's, Con's, Tips? I would really like to buy a bike and springer, is it to early to start going short distances with him?

Also, the car way seems practical, being that my neighbors already think I'm nuts it wouldnt be that big of a deal.

I'm just wondering what kind of results you have seen with both.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The only advice I can give you is yes you can go short distances with him, but make sure he is on a soft surface such as grass.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I dont have any experience with it or training for it...but I have seen two types of attachments for bikes...
this one...I like this one the best from reading about it and how it looks...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2001&Nty=1

or this one...which I think looks awful and it says ""Breakaway" safety release frees him instantly should he run on the wrong side of a tree, pole, hydrant, etc." Which I dont understand...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2001&Nty=1

If you ever get one let me know how it works...I use to ride my bike when I was younger with my dalmation with just holding on to her leash while riding she loved it.
maybe to start you can start introducing rommel to being next to the bike while its not moving...then when it is moving...then with maybe him walking next to the bike while moving slow...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have alot of trails by my house, so I could for sure take him on soft dirt/grass. It seems like this would help improve muscle tone more because of the variation in terrain, more than just flat concrete anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"We have alot of trails by my house, so I could for sure take him on soft dirt/grass. It seems like this would help improve muscle tone more because of the variation in terrain, more than just flat concrete anyway."

I agree he would have better muscle tone, especially if the trails are steep. It'd be better for his footpads as well.

Personally, I'd be very, very wary of attaching Karma to a car or bike, especially in a suburban/city environment. Too many distractions and moron drivers for me. Since I workout on a treadmill here at the house, I eventually plan to train her on it. Something tells me her endurance will surpass mine rather quickly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We do AD with each of our dos and we train with Bycicle and a Springer. The car version is nor allowed in Germany.

We use this kind of attachment,

because it is more save.
If the dog decides to take another direction, one would be down immediately. with the other one.

With this attachment it is close to impossible that the dog would tear the bike down, because the tractive power of the dog works very deep, while in the other example it works directly under the saddle.

Also there are rupture joints to make it save with situatiions mentioned before.

You can start your training with making your dog feel comfortable with the bike and springer. Start with push first. Then short ways. When your dog is one year old, you should x-ray the hips and if all is o.k., you can start with bike training. Use different surfaces then. Start with soft surfaces to your expected lengh. Then start again with short ways on harder surfaces and so on.
Do not forget to train your dog to jump and to allow to control its paws. You need this for AD.

·
Registered
880 Posts
BnB, wait untill he's AT LEAST 12 mo old. Rushing this has too many risks. Also, I would NOT do this with a car. Things could go so horibly wrong in a matter of seconds. The dog is being exposed to all the exhaust, heat, dirt and dust that often acompany a moving car, not to mention you most likely would have to run him on a paved surface and that could lead to paw injuries.

Get the bike out now and start getting yourself in shape :) so that you're prepared for this when it's time to start taking him out. I would look at this as a great way to exercise together. In the winter you could do cross country skiing with him, that would be a blast.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zedemar said:
Do not forget to train your dog to jump and to allow to control its paws. You need this for AD.
Zedemar, I am not familiar with this, would you mind expanding on it? Would this be at the "rest stops" when they are checked to make sure they are still in a condition to continue?

Thanks for all of the info and input everyone, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I took Mavis bike riding all the time. She loved it so much if she saw my helmet she would go crazy.

I never attached her to the bike, we always went on trails or dirt roads where it was OK to let her run off-leash.

Watch your down-hill speed. Even though Mavis could run over 30 mph (50 km/ph) she could only keep that up for very short periods, like one or two minutes. 15 mph (25km/hr) was about the top speed I could expect her to keep up for any kind of distance.

Mavis loved the bicycle because it was a good reason to run. As we all know, Dobermans love to run. Mavis was always frustrated with me when we were going up-hills. I'm not Lance Armstrong so we take our time when the trail gets steep. When Mavis thought we were going too slow she would nip (pinsch?) at me, wanting to go faster.

Check with your local Bike Shop, they will be able to tell you where the good places are to run Rommel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The AD is 20 km with a break in the middle and paw check. Then the other half. If you are back, there will be another paw check (wound paws are disqualifying), some heeling and a jump over the hurdle.
The judge wants to see if there is enough fitness in the dog to follow commands and make the jump.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
zedemar said:
The car version is nor allowed in Germany.

]
Laws vary about this by state and sometimes even by city in the US; it's best to check about the laws in your area before roadworking a dog with a car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another addition: The dog should trot al the time.

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
I have road worked with the springer - I do also have a leash just in case. The rule of thumb I have always heard is to wait till they are 18 months old. Louise is 17 months, and I am chomping at the bit to get her started.

I live in a subdivision with some nice hills. 1 time around is about 1/2 mile. I start at one time around and work up to about 4. When I did it with Velma, I used dog boots for her feet as the roads had not had their final paving yet and were pretty rough. I will watch Louise's feet carefully and get boots if needed. I also rotate sides each time I ride. I just ride at a speed where she does a nice trot - if she is running, then I am going too fast. Velma could have gone for many miles, but 2 was enough to build the muscle I wanted for the show ring - I was not looking to make super dog!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I work Lexus with the bike here, builds great muscle tone, I didn't start until this spring though with her, I honestly just hold the leash and don't go above her working trot. I don't trust those attachements that hook to the bike. With her leash I'm holding it so if she should happen to pull I can let some slack go out to her. I spent plenty of time training her to stay clear of the bike also, and keep her in a heel position at all times, I don't give her enough slack to get out by the front wheel.

Right now it's been just way to hot to work her, but when it's cooler I usually go two or three times a week, about 15-20 minutes at a time, in the late evening (nearly no cars, we always pull over and wait if we do see a car, we live in a development, so they are going slow also).

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
This is a trainings table its based before you do a examination 5 a 6 weeks before you will do a examination!

Trainingsschema
Het onderstaande schema is gebaseerd op ongeveer5 - 6 weken voor het examen:

first week - 4 x every other day 3-5 km biking with a speed from approximately from 12-15 km.
· 1ste week – 4 x dus om de dag ca 3-5 km fietsen met een snelheid van ca 12-15 km

second week: 4 x every other day approcimately 7 km biking.
· 2de week - 4 x dus om de dag ca 7 km fietsen

third week- 4 x every other day 10 km biking with a break after 5 km from 15 minutes
· 3de week - 4 x dus om de dag ca 10 km fietsen met een pauze na ca 5 km van 15 minuten

fourth week- every other 2 days 15 km biking with a break after 8 km.
· 4de week - Om de 2 dagen 15 km fietsen met een pauze na 8 km.

fifth week- 1 day on the beginning of the week and 1 day on the end of the week 20 km biking with a break after 8 km and after 15 km from 15 minutes
· 5de week - 1 dag aan het begin van de week en 1 dag aan het einde van de week 20 km fietsen met een pauze na 8 km en na 15 km (ca 15 minuten)

The other days 5 km biking to keep the muscles of the dog flexible.
de overige dagen ca 5 km fietsen om de spieren van de hond soepel te houden.

The in this schedule named breaks have to be 15 minutes, check the paws en give the dog a little bit of water.
De in dit schema genoemde pauzes moeten ca een kwartier zijn. Hierin de voetzolen controleren en de hond een klein beetje water te drinken geven.

You aslo had to practise the jump like Zedemar says, I don't know if you use the kilometers otherwise someone can tall how much 1 km is in Miles?

The dog had to be at least 10-12 months and you had to be careful

start with no more than 2 or 3 km to get the dog used to the bike and biking at least when the the dog is 1 year!

I translate it from dutch, this is what we need for a examination and how its build up.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hmm i think this is the way to go for me. All the areas around me require a dog to be on leash. So full out runs are limited to my decent size property or friends. This way we can go all over and will help with socialization and different noises and other life happenings. What is the average price for these contraptions so I know I'm not getting ripped off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We take Storm and Ava on bike rides sometimes...not usually around our neighborhood, but on trails at different parks. We particularly like one that is 3.2 miles around. We just hold their leashes. I bought one of those attachments, but I've never gotten around to actually putting it on my bike!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts