Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all! I was wondering if anyone here has heard or dealt with RLDobermans out of Mt.Vernon, IL? They are more local for me and I was wondering if they were a reputable breeder, or if I should stay away. Thank you all!

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I just googled their website. I'd stay far away. They aren't doing anything with their dogs other than breeding them.

They have a link for payment methods but mention nothing about health testing. Dobermans can be very unhealthy dogs and are at risk for some specific expensive and heartbreaking diseases. I would never pay someone for a pup who didn't do the necessary health testing on their breeding dogs.

Also, they say they strive to raise the best quality show, sport, and working Dobermans...uh, how do they back that up? None of their dogs are titled in anything. And none of the dogs in their pedigrees are titled in anything. Apparently their dogs aren't quality because they aren't earning titles. And the dogs in their pedigrees weren't quality show, sport, or working Dobermans either because none of them competed and earned titles either.

You have access to some really great breeders in Illinois. Are you interested in show, sport, working, companion? We can recommend some good breeders if you tell us what you're interested in.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
No mention of titles or health testing, and they charge extra for the ear crops. A breeder who titles and health test their dogs usually has that info listed. I wouldn't buy from them, based on what I saw on their website.

Reactions: Rowdy1224 and Adara

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would not buy from this breeder.

1) None of their dogs have been titled or even competed in any venue that they advertise. This means that there is no tangible proof that these dogs should ever be bred. Performance of a grand-sire and great-grand-sire if ever indicated does not provide any foundational observation on the abilities of the progeny. Don't buy into that.

2) There is no health testing advertised on the site, which leads me to believe none of these dogs have ever been cleared of the common health concerns that plague Dobermans.

3) They sell their dogs on full registration and charge additional for an ear crop. Reputable breeders include the ear crop in their price; it is not additional. Also, sending puppies home on full registration with breeding rights is an indicator that this breeder really does not care at all how many puppies are brought into this world, how diluted their lines will get, and how quickly their dogs can be used in another breeding operation.

All in all, there is actually no concern from this breeder for the improvement of the Doberman breed going on here, just a money-making operation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for all the info. I am still new to all of this n what to look for in a good breeder and am so glad i have you all to steer me in the right direction! I am looking for a good tempered family dog that i might also do therapy work with also down the road. Conformation isnt #1 on my list as i will not be doing agility but temperment is #1..and health of coarse. I am excited to do obedience with my dog too! I have three kids,my youngest is 4,oldest is 10..they have all grown up with dogs, so temperment is of utmost importance to me. Thank you all so much again for your help...keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I just googled their website. I'd stay far away. They aren't doing anything with their dogs other than breeding them.

They have a link for payment methods but mention nothing about health testing. Dobermans can be very unhealthy dogs and are at risk for some specific expensive and heartbreaking diseases. I would never pay someone for a pup who didn't do the necessary health testing on their breeding dogs.

Also, they say they strive to raise the best quality show, sport, and working Dobermans...uh, how do they back that up? None of their dogs are titled in anything. And none of the dogs in their pedigrees are titled in anything. Apparently their dogs aren't quality because they aren't earning titles. And the dogs in their pedigrees weren't quality show, sport, or working Dobermans either because none of them competed and earned titles either.

You have access to some really great breeders in Illinois. Are you interested in show, sport, working, companion? We can recommend some good breeders if you tell us what you're interested in.
While I agree they are far from great breeders and please op there are far better in Ill and surrounding states who test more than just hips, vwd, and "keep up on vacs" that they advertise and also title and prove their dogs too, there are a few dogs in the ped.'s with titles.

For Roxy her great grandfather master max is the only one on doberman review with titles.
http://www.dobermann-review.com/males/Master Max og djarmati/main.htm
http://www.dobermann-review.com/db/details/1503/master_max_of_djarmati

For Rylee: Imron has titles now (and is at a lack luster kennel in Appleton,WI) and he does have a titled pedigree. I found nothing for the mother or her pedigree. http://www.dobermann-review.com/db/details/11683

I found nothing for the sire "SARGENT MAXIMUM SHOWGUN" either

Again I still vote nay on this breeder, just wanted to get some facts out in case of confusion later. It's a little disheartening to show and boast 100% european great quality dogs and I can't even find half of them or their family on doberman review which to my knowledge is the largest euro dobe database.

Good luck in the puppy search!

Reactions: Rowdy1224

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Thanks for coming and checking, it may have saved you a lot of heartbreak and money.

Are you in IL like this breeder? IL has both Bruda and Smack-Dab dobes. I don't know what their breeding plans are right now but I do know that they both produce some amazing dogs.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
In Illinois, contact Bruda: Home - There are a lot of happy Bruda owners here on DT.

You can also look at some Michigan breeders if you want to stay relatively local. Off the top of my head, Gorrmae is in Michigan: Home as is Lyndobe: Blank Both of these breeders also have a good reputation on DT. I know there are others, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I am in Illinois...the southern tip to be exact...so kentucky is fairly close too for me..not so much michigan...

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Bruda is an excellent breeder. You also have Smack-Dab and Ravenswoods in Illinois.

Smack-Dab Dobermans, Kathy Fay, is in Northwoods, IL. Ravenswoods Dobermans, Mary Dependahl is in Rolling Meadows, IL.

Here's a link to the DPCA Breeder Referral. Bruda, Smack-Dab, and Ravenswoods contact information are all listed on that site. You can search by state too though if there are others of interest that may be closer to you.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you tried Ken Lilly of Lilly Dobermans he is only a little over an hour away from you in Troy IL (618-667-7893)
[email protected]

Reactions: bubsy

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ooh wait I am not sure where you are from I used the information about distance based on the town of Mt. Vernon

Sorry!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can look into Franchesca dobermans as well.
Breeders.NET

I know nothing of them though you'd need to research for yourself but I did see a beautiful boy of their breeding at a show up here.

You can also see if IDR + is an option for you

Am I Eligible to Adopt? | Illinois Doberman Rescue

Our girl is a Franchesca Doberman and she is a wonderful dog; she'll be 2 next month.

Wonderful temperment, beautiful dark red/rust coat and of course 110% velcro dobe. We get a lot of compliments on her and we wouldn't hesitate to buy another dog from Shari.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our girl is a Franchesca Doberman and she is a wonderful dog; she'll be 2 next month.

Wonderful temperment, beautiful dark red/rust coat and of course 110% velcro dobe. We get a lot of compliments on her and we wouldn't hesitate to buy another dog from Shari.
Would you happen to know her prices for her dogs? I have sent out several emails but have heard nothing back yet. Thanks!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
If you're sending out emails just inquiring about price, this is a real turn off for most breeders. IMO, inquire about health, testing, longevity, titling their dogs (first) and then ask about the investment for one of their pups.

Would you happen to know her prices for her dogs? I have sent out several emails but have heard nothing back yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Patience, young grasshopper. :). Most reputable breeders stay constantly busy, so it may be a little while before she responds. Unlike the money-grubbers, the good guys are out on the weekends showing and working their dogs. I'm sure she'll get back to you in time! Hang in there!

·
Registered
24 Posts

Shari is a very, very busy lady and you would be much better off to call her and talk to her in person. If you sent her an email just inquiring about price she may not answer you.

We don't know what she charges because our dog was a rehome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts