Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Toby fell in the river completely dunking himself in the process. Boy was he scared, moment he scrambled out he velcro'd to my leg and wouldnt leave it. When we came home he went to sleep on the sofa and hasn't budged all night, which is not his usual modus operandi. Add to this his nose is really warm and dry. I know some folk don't think that this means much, but as Toby's nose is usually wet and cold it makes me wonder if he is not feeling very well.
Could it be shock?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would guess his nose is warm/dry because he hasn't budged from you so therefore, isn't drinking water, etc. and being active? Check his gums. Are they pink? When you press does the color return quickly?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,494 Posts
Do you think he may have breathed in any water? Did he cough a lot when he got out, or is there a rattle or wheeze to his breathing now? It wasn't cold enough for him to get severely chilled, was it?

Pneumonia and dogs is bad news, but dogs get dunked fairly regularly, especially when they go in over their head for the first time.

I would mostly just watch for breathing problems, congested coughing, wheezing, fast breathing, rapid pulse and the like--but I would think the chances are that he is fine--my dogs tend to sleep heavily after a stressful experience (boarding, vet visit, lots of travel) so he may just be rebuilding his energy.

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Aw poor Toby I hope he is Ok.
Thats scary watching your dog fall in a river, I know I'd freak out.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aw poor Toby I hope he is Ok.
Thats scary watching your dog fall in a river, I know I'd freak out.
Toby was happily watching one of my friends dogs go get a stick whilst stood on a pontoon which allows folk to get on and off boats etc. The water is about 10 foot deep and quite fast moving, I really do not like the river one bit but my friends dogs love it and Toby loves to ankle paddle in the shallows in another area but has never shown any interest in going in properly and usually is very careful. I was on the river bank (the pontoon is adjacent to the bank and has a walkway up to the top of the bank). Suddenly Toby stepped forward and splash he was in. I legged it down the walkway, shouting his name as I watched him go under then come up and struggle to get out. I grabbed his collar and pulled him out and boy was he scared. I immediately checked him over for injuries whilst rubbing him over. He literally stuck himself to my leg and wouldnt budge. All the other dogs came over to get him to play but nope, he was having none of it, so I brought him home.

At the time he didnt cough or splutter that much, he did sneeze a couple of times and he was shaking, but the weather was warm, I was in just a thin shirt but of course the water is a lot colder compared to the air temperature.

This morning his nose is still warm and dry, he is leaving my side, but is constantly lying down and sleeping whereas normally he is rooting around, following me, helping me, (though to be honest his help is sometimes more of a hinderance, bless).
It isn't hot today, but somewhat mild bordering on coolish, so I can't blame the change in modus operandi on this, however, my small terrier has developed a cough (he wasn't involved in the dunking) and now I am beginning to wonder is Toby coming down with something?
I took Jack the Terrier to the vets first thing this morning and she has given me anti-biotics and anti-inflamatories (he has an inflamed throat) and has told me to watch the other dogs. She didnt say what she thought was wrong with Jack, but he coughs when he is either barking or gets excited, it is a raspy, something is stuck in my throat kind of cough, he also retches as if he wants to be sick but nothing comes up.
Toby is not coughing. I asked if I could bring him down to see her, but as he is not showing any signs of illness, just a warm nose and wanting to sleep, she said there was no point. She did say if he showed any signs of deterioration she would see him, (her surgery is chocka block today so it would have to be after hours).

I guess I am just worrying probably over nothing.
I think the dunking whilst distressing maybe isn't the problem, maybe he is coming down with Jacks cough, (though god only knows where he got it from, he doesnt meet other dogs because he is one reactive terrier with attitude to boot).
All the dogs are vaccinated as are my friends dogs and none of them are ill.

It has me puzzled. I don't want to be one of these owners who cry wolf and end up annoying my vet with spurious visits. I don't want (and my vet won't do it) to give Toby medication he doesnt need. But what do I do?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts