Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just picked up my new dobie last night and he and all the other pups have ringworm. They have been giving him medication but didn't have enough to give me to take some home. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow to get some more. Has anyone else ever had to deal with ringworms on a dog? I have never heard of a dog getting ringworm until now. Be sure to check out my pics of him in the photo gallery. I am still trying to decide on a name. I will post more pics soon.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
josh_d said:
Hello everyone, I just picked up my new dobie last night and he and all the other pups have ringworm. They have been giving him medication but didn't have enough to give me to take some home. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow to get some more. Has anyone else ever had to deal with ringworms on a dog? I have never heard of a dog getting ringworm until now. Be sure to check out my pics of him in the photo gallery. I am still trying to decide on a name. I will post more pics soon.
That puppy should never have been placed until the ringworm was cleared up.
This is contagious to people and other pets. Dogs are constantly shedding off infected skin into the environment, and it's very hard to kill once it gets into your house. Sorry..but ewww! I never would have brought that puppy home, and I'd seriously be thinking about returning it fast.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
You are going to have to limit what rooms that pup goes in and wash his bedding DAILY with a little bleach. I recommend getting some antifungal cream and put it on the spots twice a day, I have used Micatin in the past with success. You will need to wash your hands and clothing every time you touch a spot as you can get it as well!!!!! Do not take him out in public until it's all gone. Also keep your clothing seperate from others and it can be transferred that way as well!

http://www.lbah.com/ringworm.htm

Oh and yes I agree you shouldn't have been given a sick dog, this is a HUGE pain in the arse type of fungus, I have had rescues with it. Total nightmare.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Murreydobe said:
That puppy should never have been placed until the ringworm was cleared up.
This is contagious to people and other pets. Dogs are constantly shedding off infected skin into the environment, and it's very hard to kill once it gets into your house. Sorry..but ewww! I never would have brought that puppy home, and I'd seriously be thinking about returning it fast.
DITTO!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would take that puppy back. I can't believe they even let it go when it isn't healthy!

Your whole house will become infected with it and it is a PITA to clear up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i just picked up two pups last saterday who both have ring worm extreamly bad... I am wondering if you live in washington state? if so plz contact me back. i now have spent $800 on these two pups... It can take up to 3 weeks for the ring worm test to come back +. U can not let the pup run free in your home at all.. i will spred everywhere.. It is also highly contagous to humans, you must was everything the dog comes in contact with. It is the most annoying thing to go through. I have considered bringing the dogs back. It can take months for it to go away.. Also be very careful what meds you use for ring worm the can do harm to your pup..

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this, i myself am wondering why im doing it... I cant stress enough BE CAREFUL.... If you have any q's plz feel free to contact me anytime...

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Yep ditto taking the puppy back. Ringworm is HIGHLY contagious to you, your family and any other pets that come near your puppy! We had a cat come in to board at my work that had ringworm and EVERYTHING that went near the cat (bowls, litter trays, blankets, the protective clothing we wore) were handled with gloves and washed with bleach and he was kept in the isolation block which had to be washed with bleach and hot water when he left. Ringworm is up there with scabies in terms of the ick factor lol. The breeder should not have sent the puppy home with this kind of infection :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts