Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members,

Just curious about rimadyl, the "pain killer" the Vet gave to Rosa (she was just spayed) and found bunch of bad stuff and side effects, including death! You will say that I'm paranoid, but that's serious.

Any comments about it?

She looks ok, I guess, but lethargic. I was planning to stop using that if she does not feel too much pain tomorrow...

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hello forum members,

Just curious about rimadyl, the "pain killer" the Vet gave to Rosa (she was just spayed) and found bunch of bad stuff and side effects, including death! You will say that I'm paranoid, but that's serious.

Any comments about it?

She looks ok, I guess, but lethargic. I was planning to stop using that if she does not feel too much pain tomorrow...
Like any other drug, side effects are possible. Keep your eyes open for anything unusual, especially gastrointestinal problems. Millions of dogs are alive and pain free due to this drug, it just needs to be used carefully.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I used it, together with Tramadol, for three weeks after Logan was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. He didn't have side effects, though I made sure he had either some bread or a full meal when he got it. It's very effective, and it works. Just keep an eye out like Murrey said.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...

I guess I'm acting a bit paranoid. But concerns me a bit that the technician or Vet did not even mention that to me.

Rosa has to take (as needed) four, took one today. Technically speaking it should bot be an issue but what I read on line is not very stimulating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a dog at the shelter that's taking it. She hasn't shown any side effects. Pretty much exactly as dobermansrule said, everything is going to have possible adverse effects.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
She should not need it for long - the bounce back time from a spay on a young bitch like that is amazingly quick! I just spayed a 6 month old puppy bitch before she went into her new home and was amazed at how perky she was just 24 hours after her spay. She didn't need any pain meds when she came home - but would have gotten them if she had been in real discomfort.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We have given 1/2 a pill a day for a while to our arthritic boxer with no side effects. We have had his liver checked to make sure there's no issues

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sierra gets 75mg a day and has since March. She has arthitis, bone spurs and two of her discs are calcified. This stuff is amazing! Sierra is running and playing like she used to!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, this makes me think of some of the commercials on tv for human drugs these days. They have this long list of possible side effects that make you wonder WHO would ever take some of these drugs.
Like the stuff which helps stop smoking? hahaha.... looks like is safer continue with that habit, instead.

By the way, I stopped giving that to Rosa Sunday, she took for 2 days. Vet said I could, but for the records, I saw no side effects on her.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
You are right. Pharmaceutical companies have to protect themselves by listing every possible side effect.
"possible, but rare, side effect could include cessation of bodily functions, leading to expiration of life, with possible included symptoms of diarrhea, massive migraines, bleeding of the gums and nosebleed"

so you might die very miserably LOL

·
Registered
223 Posts
One vet I worked for use it on all spays and neuters. We had very little reactions with some puppies, but we did see a few over a couple of years. Another vet liked Metacam alot better, I would see less reactions from patients.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog died because of Rimadyl

Hi, I saw the post and had to reply. My 10 year old female Doberman died two days ago because of Rimadyl. She had Von Wildebrands disease that was undiagnosed. Its unknown whether the vet checked when she was a puppy but I read that it can develop as they age and then show up on tests. She was prescribed Rimadyl for a little arthritis and about a week later died. Apparently the Rimadyl increases the effects of the non-clotting Von Wildebrands do she was internally bleeding. I read that 73% of Dobermans have Von Wildebrands so make sure to check before you give your dobe Rimadyl. We are very sad and wish we knew and angry that the vet did not check either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts