Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now he is coughing more at night and seems lethargic, tired. What should we expect now? What are the sypmtoms of CHF? Thanks...this is so hard. Having an anxiety attack.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Now he is coughing more at night and seems lethargic, tired. What should we expect now? What are the sypmtoms of CHF? Thanks...this is so hard. Having an anxiety attack.
I have not had a dog with DCM, yet, but I would say coughing is a sign of fluid retention which is caused by CHF.

Try checking in with your vet about adjusting his meds with a possible bump up in the diruetics.

I am very sorry both of you are going thru this horrible disease.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Having lost one to CHF, it sounds like you are heading down that road now. When the fluid builds up in their chest, it is uncomfortable for them to lie down and they cough. The heart has to work so much harder as things progress that they are lethargic and tired just getting from point A to point B.
Get to your vet for a med adjustment. Are you using a cardiologist?

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
I lost my boy Homer after a 3 month battle with DCM/CHF just last week so I know exactly how you're feeling right now. In the week before we lost him his cough got worse even though we upped his diuretics. He was lethargic & went off his food. He then became very restless & couldn't get comfortable at all. The only way he could lay down was to adopt the Sphinx position, he couldn't lay on his side. The coughing was worse at night, but it wasn't long before he was coughing day & night. His quality of life had gone so we let him go.

Speak to your vet to see if you can up Riley's diuretics to help his cough & make him more comfortable. You've done a wonderful job to still have Riley with you a year after diagnosis. So many dobes don't get anywhere near that. I'm so sorry you are going through this, we dealt with it one day at a time & towards the end one hour at a time. Just love him & hug him while you can.

Please keep us updated.
Big hugs to you & Riley

·
Registered
60 Posts
Chf

I hear you . . . we are on the same path. Daisy started coughing about 4 months after DCM diagnosis; she has now been in "VERY" well controlled CHF for 9 months. although I know this is not typical unfortunately. . .

don't lose hope! get her on Vetmedin if she isnt' already . . most vets wont' prescribe it until they actually showing symptoms of heart failure.

We had 2 "crashes" like this and each time she has bounced back quickly with med adjustments.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I lost a 12 year old to DCM. I second the Vetmedin if Riley isn't yet on it.

Bless your heart for going thru this. Hugs to Riley.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I wouldn't wait to see a vet (hopefully a cardiologist) about a dcm dog who starts coughing. This can turn into a medical emergency in the blink of an eye. One minute the dog is fine, the next minute it's literally drowning in fluids. Lived that, sure didn't want to buy the tshirt!

The formula is: dcm dog-coughing=get to vet ASAP!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts