Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Town i have a Fenced in yard its way to small for what a Dobe would need to get enough excerise theres a bike trial right beside my house though i would walk/jog with him and theres a school right up the street with a huge field i could take him up their in the evenings to run and play are house is a good size to i have never owned a Doberman before but i think it would be a good match i currently own a rottweiler he's three i got him from the pound he's staying in the yard and of course the dobe would be in the house im postive they wouldnt get along i live in Butler, Ohio 1 hour from Columbus in are local papers thers always Doberman for sale the ads dont seem very serious im not sure where to buy from if i decided to

Adam

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
why is your rottie living outside? your rottie should be in the house before you consider bringing another dog into the household - its not fair to the rottie.

why would the rottie not like the dog? if the rottie has problems with dogs in general, before you add another animal to the household i would work on making the rottie a good companion.

and no, i would not suggest getting a dog from the papers, not at all! if you do get a dobe, seek out a reputable rescue or a responsible ethical breeder.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
handmedowndobes

I filled out an Application and they said i didnt meet their Standards..... that was 2 months ago I think it was b.c. the yard issue and are house is a big upstairs/downstairs the upstaris is rented out by my uncle and he has 2 poodles and a cat lol i dont know what else it would be im not worried about it anyway i wasnt planning on getting one right away theirs alot to be done and thought about thanks for the idea though

adam

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt mention that the rott has Mange its pretty bad i took him to the vet and he got dipped and he said to keep him outside until we see what happens with the mange the house was a big mess when we did bring him in it was very dirty due to him but even besides the mange he doesnt have any energy he would just lay under the table in the livingroom and almost knock it over or move it when he got up he has something else wrong with me to i forget what it was called

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a one story house with a medium to small backyard but I take trintiy for a walk around a park that is 3 blocks from my house and about 3 times a week I take trintiy to a dog park. She gets to much exercise. LOL

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
crxman321 said:
I didnt mention that the rott has Mange its pretty bad i took him to the vet and he got dipped and he said to keep him outside until we see what happens with the mange the house was a big mess when we did bring him in it was very dirty due to him but even besides the mange he doesnt have any energy he would just lay under the table in the livingroom and almost knock it over or move it when he got up he has something else wrong with me to i forget what it was called

Maybe you should focus on getting the Rott back to optimum health before introducing another dog into the picture...... I agree with Kim about bringing the Rott in and socializing it too.... However even if you've decided for sure not to do that, and you say he won't get along with another dog, they chances of the two dogs encountering one another even with the Rott outside are great, so that puts them in danger, even if the dobe gets along with other dogs. Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I applied for a dog at hand me down dobes also. This was before I got Loki. They said they would come and do a home visit and I never heard from them again. I think the problem was I wanted a puppy and I told them I would get its ears done. From reading their website, I don't think they approve of docking ears. That is the only problem I could think of. Again I live in rural Ohio. I have 8 acres and a pond. It is a wonderful place for a big dog that needs plenty of exercise.

About the rotty..I agree with everyone else. Your main focus should be on curing his problems.

·
Registered
421 Posts
They probally didn't call you back because they don't generally get in pups young enough to get their ears done. You saying that you'll do them anyway probally scared them away. Check the pounds nad shelters by you though. I'm in northern ohio and I see them sometimes. Still not young enough to crop though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you don't have a fenced in yard most rescues don't want a place a dog with you. Don't know if that's your case or not

·
Registered
45 Posts
YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME!! If a puppy was too old to get its ears done, I WOULDN'T have them done anyway. They just asked if I preferred a dog with cut ears, I answered yes. The question was on their standard form. As for my yard, at the time it was fenced twice. The backyard was fenced in. The previous owners had a dog. Then the rest of my eight acres was fenced for livestock. The previous owners had livestock. We do not. After, they never returned my call, my husband took down the backyard fence. It was hard to mow around. Subsquently, we acquired Loki. My husband trained him with a Ecollar to stay in the yard and that worked great.
I am not sure, why they never called back. They never said I was rejected.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Me and king live in an apartment and he loves it. I take him out as much as possible, and i also exercise him in the apartment too. While im sitting here typing this, i am also throwing his kong. You dont need a big yard at all, you just have to love playing with your dog...lol, but who doesnt??
:3dbiggrin

·
Banned
375 Posts
i have a huge two story home that just my husband and i oh and the two cats live in. 2500 sf and a yard that circles the house that is large enough for them to chase each other around.... plus just across the road there is the elementary with a large field for them to run in... someone once told me that a happy dobe was a tired dobe and i think it was lexus... but cant remember....

im guessing if you excercise the dog enough and walk and run them enough you could live in an apartment like king does... but then again some apartments think dobermans are dangerous lol..anyway i agree work on the rottie then worry about a doberkid later :D hugs

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree. I think whether you have a huge yard or an apartment really makes no difference. A dobe just wants to play and as long as someone is willing to excercise them, then they are fine. Thank god for my husband. I am not really an outdoor person, but my husband is. Everyday, he takes Loki outside to play and they make their normal trip to the pond to feed the fish which is on the far side of our property. Loki just has a wonderful time. When he comes in, I swear he is smiling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts