Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Well Rex has been getting into the trash for about 2 months now, I've tried everything to get him to stop and he just keeps on ripping out bags and dragging everything acrossed the yard. What can I do to help prevent him or teach him from going in the trash. Its a mess almost everyday.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
the outside garbage? or inside? If outside, I would just supervise him while outside. If it is inside, maybe put childproof latches on it...to prevent a cabinet from easily opening...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A trash can with a secure lid is worth its weight in gold! I've never had a dog that I could keep out of the trash can. I'm lucky here that our pantry is big enough that I can keep the trash can in it. In our last house, I kept it in the attached garage that was right off the kitchen. Heaven help me if we ever move to a house where I can't keep the garabage behind a closed door :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I keep my trash can under the kitchen sink. I have tried the cans with closing lids and snaps lids,ect. They have learned how to open them. Harmony has figured out how to put her paw on the foot ones to open them. So the best way for me is to lock them up under the sink and I have a child lock on the doors. The cats and dogs know how to open those also. :) For outside, I use the garbage can that has the handles that lock the lid on. That seems to hold it on pretty good. They don't really care if they can't get to it. It also helps me keep the possums and racoons out of my garbage. I don't like to wake up to garbage all over my patio.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are we talking outside garbage or inside garbage?

If it's outside garbage - supervise him when he's outside and don't leave him out alone or when you aren't home. Give him more daily exercise and keep him crated or in a dog-safe room in the house when you're unable to watch him or are away from the house. It's not entirely safe to leave him outside unsupervised when you aren't home anyway. :) If he has to stay outside alone for some reason, make sure he is in a secure fenced area and put the garbage cans outside of the fence so he cannot reach.

If it's the inside garbage, I would just put it up when you leave. That's what we have to do since my mom refuses to crate her dog and he kept getting into the trash. We place it up on top of the bin we store the dog food in, it's high enough that they cannot reach.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Anything you want them to not get into should be either secured or out of their reach. Secure garbage cans I would think is a must. We keep our garbage cans in the garage, easier for me to do. If you can't, theen they should not be left unsupervised around them. Its too tempting for them when its in reach.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
inside trash can tip....

Diaper Pails work WONDERS and most of them lock nicely. You can pick them up cheap at yard sales too :)
We use one in the bathroom upstairs specifically for feminine products cause those seemed to be almost as desirable as the Hors Doeuvres that is the kitty litter box *gag!*
Thankfully Tucker doesn't do those lovely things. Bumper, my beagle mix was under the impression that it was all there just for him though. We jumped through hoops to finally get set ups that he couldn't get into

·
Registered
117 Posts
To me if you have to secure stuff and hide it you are not doing your job properly....from the first day he set foot in the house boundries should have been set up and training begun....

It sounds like he's simply doing what he wants....

Buy a 15 ft leash go out with him to where the garbage is and when ever he goes to get into it pull the leash back and shout NO!!!....pull the leash all the way back and make him sit by your side....keep practising that and he'll figure out he's not supposed to go in there!

Try not to leave your dog unsupervised in the yard/out off the house...

Hope that helped....

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Some dogs with all training in world will still get in the trash. Securing the trash can is the best option for this.
I've got to agree here. Training a dog not to get in the trash is a first step, but it will not work on every dog. It has worked for mine, but I consider myself mostly lucky. I have had 3 Dobermans, and none of them got in the trash. I have a flip top can and can put bones on the top of a pile of garbage and they would not dream of getting into it..........training or luck? BOTH!!

OTOH, an open trash can with used kleenex (or worse) in it is fair game!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outside

The trash cans are outside. Rex is usually fine outside until he decids he wants to dig in the trash and pull everything out. Im going to try my best to train him, things should go my way not his.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
my Bumper was HORRIBLE for trash can trashing. Tuck isn't interested at all thank whomever. No amount of training got Bump to stop picking so we found ways to put things out of reach for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts