Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased a new puppy so Sirius would have a friend...unfortunately not a Doberman :( She is a 12 week old Samoyed. Anyways, she is going to the vet this week for her next set of shots and I know they are going to push revolution- heartworm medication. I've heard some vets say you should hold off on that stuff until they are 6 months, but I know others who push it right away. Sirius is currently on Revolution, I just don't know if I should put her on at such a young age. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
696 Posts
If your outside alot in the summer. I think the risk of contacting heartowrm would out weigh the risk of possible side effects of the prevention. But I would ask your Vet, and tell him your concern of her young age. Congrats on your new puppy. Would love to see some pictures of them both.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I've already started Red on heartworm/flea preventative - though I prefer Advantage Multi to Revolution. It's applied the same way and covers for all the same stuff except the flea medication (imidacloprid) works better and faster than the flea medication in Revolution.

Puppies can still contract heartworm disease, but it would take 6 months to get a positive test. That's why they recommend waiting until 6 months old to test for heartworm preventative (because you wouldn't get a positive test before that anyway even if the dog had it because of the life cycle of the parasite and the antigens released in the peripheral blood), and to wait to give any preventatives until you have a negative test. But I wanted Red covered from Day 1 for heartworm disease as well as fleas, etc., and the medication is ssafe to be applied to puppies 7 weeks and older.

So if it were me, I would start now. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It is a personal choice what you would like. I started mine on their preventatives when they each came home to get a head start. I spend a lot of time outside so to me the benefits were higher. I would discuss your concerns with your vet and his point. He knows your risks and location better.

Congrats on the new puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts