Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy recently had his ears done and they look good. The vet seems to have done a great job. She told me that I need to restrict Zuma's exercise for 15 days. I didn't question it at the time but he gets really restless when he doesn't get a walk and play time outside. I'm supposed to keep him on a leash when I take him out to pee. I'll ask my vet when it's a decent hour but I wanted to ask everyone here what your experience has been.

Also, although she did a great job the crop vet charged a lot and it seems like she threw in a lot of meds. We went home with about two weeks worth of tramadol and rimadyl and well as some xenodine to clean the ear margins with and some antibiotics. I will also be charged separately for the suture removals (once for the top sutures and once for the bottoms) and all followup and posting appointments. Am I being swindled?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Restricted exercise in indicated aftercare whenever a dog undergoes a medical procedure.

I cant help much with cost/ or if that is overkill for ear aftercare. My puppy came cropped and fully healed from a great breeder. They offered to post for free weekly and also taught us how to post her ears. We went to them one time for help but the rest of the time we just did it ourselves.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
tramadol and rimadyl are both to deal with pain. tramadol is an analgesic while rimadyl is an NSAID. xenodine is an antiseptic. antibiotics are prescribed any time a dog undergoes surgery to prevent infection.

·
joie de vivre
11,304 Posts
You think your vet is swindling you because they sent you home with pain meds and antibiotics after having your puppy cropped? I would consider that standard post-crop care and treatment.

If you don't want to pay to have the stitches removed and for posting, just do it yourself. But if you're a noob and need guidance through the process it's probably worth it to pay a professional so you know it's handled properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what the medications are for. It's just that when I went to my regular vet she asked how much I had been charged and when I told her she said "Oh, so that's how she makes her money." And she also commented that I should only need a couple days worth of pain killers. I have 15 to 20 days worth depending on whether I dose him two times a day or three. I was just wondering if other experienced doberman owners were given 15 to 20 days worth of two different pain killers. But if you consider that standard then that answers my question. I titled it vet swindling me because I wanted to get a lot of answers and I thought that might get attention. I am happy with the result, $350 just seemed like a lot for the initial visit for a small town. Thanks for your help.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
From what I understand, most of the croppers recommended here charge more like $500, so $350 isn't bad, as long as it's a decent crop.

Reactions: MayaUribe

·
Registered
56 Posts
We paid $550 for ours. Also came home with a solid 3 weeks of pain meds..... Which were not necessary after day 3 (maybe even sooner....?). Out fees also include all blood work pre-surgery, having sutures removed, and stacking until her ears stand. I am quite happy with the fees, and the service they came with.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,035 Posts
All the vets I have been to have not charged separately to remove sutures--I think they want to encourage you to actually come in to let them do it so they can check their work for proper healing, rather than have you try to pull the stitches yourself.

My vet also recommends giving a longer, rather than shorter, series of pain meds. That part can be a bit controversial, I suppose, but apparently studies have shown that dogs heal better and more quickly when they are not also battling pain.

I think that sometimes pain meds may mask a dog's pain too much, so that he ends up over-stressing the problem area (with a leg injury, for example). It is a fine balancing act--how much is too much? That may be why pain meds are often prescribed on an as needed basis.

In the case of antibiotics, it is very important that you give them for a certain period of time that has been established through testing and observation. Giving antibiotics for a shorter period of time than is customary is one of the main reasons resistant bacteria have developed. If an antibiotic is needed, it should be given for the time period the doctor prescribed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks for answering my question :) it will probably end up being the same then after the suture removals and posting. I think I read on a thread on here a bunch of people saying they never give their puppies pain meds afterward. Maybe I misunderstood, because that seems like it would not be fun for the pup! Anyway I won't feel bad about keeping him drugged up if that will help him heal faster. Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
My puppy recently had his ears done and they look good. The vet seems to have done a great job. She told me that I need to restrict Zuma's exercise for 15 days. I didn't question it at the time but he gets really restless when he doesn't get a walk and play time outside. I'm supposed to keep him on a leash when I take him out to pee. I'll ask my vet when it's a decent hour but I wanted to ask everyone here what your experience has been.
Interesting! I've been dealing with Dobe puppies, post crop, since 1959 and that's one that no vet has ever recommended. I'd be asking why the exercise should be restricted. Invasive surgery always has a 10 to 14 day restricted exercise period and some other types of surgeries may have even longer periods (cruciate repairs, back surgery etc) but cropping is really not invasive surgery. My experience has been that today (as opposed to my first puppies in the 60's) with the better anesthesia, puppies are playing as soon as they are awake. Some vets routinely use e-collars to keep them from scratching their ears and accidently pulling on the sutures but others don't. My breeders have all pretty much just kept toe nails short and the puppies figure out pretty quickly that scratching hurts and so do collisions with litter mates.

Also, although she did a great job the crop vet charged a lot and it seems like she threw in a lot of meds. We went home with about two weeks worth of tramadol and rimadyl and well as some xenodine to clean the ear margins with and some antibiotics. I will also be charged separately for the suture removals (once for the top sutures and once for the bottoms) and all followup and posting appointments. Am I being swindled?
I saw that the vet charged $350 for the crop--that's pretty inexpensive for a good Dobe crop.

That seems like a lot of pain meds. I go back so far that puppies never got pain meds post crop. Now a newly cropped puppy (the ones I come in contact with, anyway) usually goes home with enough Rimadyl for 5 days--with instructions to medicate twice a day for the first two days and once a day for the next 3. I rarely find puppies that actually need the Rimadyl for more than the first 2 days and that's all I give. I've never had a vet send home tramadol for post crop pain--although it's an excellent pain killer.

All vets have sent home enough antibiotics for treatment twice a day for at least 10 days--and sometimes 14 days.

Most vets don't send home anything to clean the edge of the ear--usually they recommend that you leave the sutured edge alone. They might send some sort of triple antibiotic ointment home or recommend that you use an OTC one like Neosporin on scabby spots but again that varies from vet to vet--vets know that some owners get very obsessive/compulsive about scab picking and just want you to leave the edges alone.

I've never had any vet charge extra for suture removal for any sort of surgery that involved sutures. That does surprise me but then $350 was a lowball price for the crop and maybe that's how they figure that charging for suture removal is fair.

Charging for follow up and posting appointments varies from vet to vet--some vets include the first follow up and posting in the price of the crop--I know at least one vet who includes three follow up appointments and three postings in the price of a crop.

I usually pull the sutures myself and no vet ever posts puppies for me--in fact no vet back to the first crop on the first puppy has ever posted ears for me.

I don't think you are being swindled--it's more like what each vet does is fairly individual. And that includes how much pain meds need to be given and for how long. That's definitely an area in which, as someone else explained, the thinking is changing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts