Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the form, looking into getting a good quality Doberman puppy soon. I live in SW Missouri and have been looking at the breeders on line. Trying to understand all types of breeders. Found OLD Drum in Harrisonville waiting for a Reply from her. Who else is there in Missouri you would consider a great breeder? Help would be great.. by the way I’m in no rush so if I have to wait I will wait.

Thanks

Don

·
Premium Member
11,404 Posts
Hello, new to the form, looking into getting a good quality Doberman puppy soon. I live in SW Missouri and have been looking at the breeders on line. Trying to understand all types of breeders. Found OLD Drum in Harrisonville waiting for a Reply from her. Who else is there in Missouri you would consider a great breeder? Help would be great.. by the way I’m in no rush so if I have to wait I will wait.

Thanks

Don
Hi Don,

Missouri is kind of known in the dog world as the land of BYB's and puppy mills and Old Drum is probably the only breeder in Missouri I'd refer anyone looking for a good breeder to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finding a great breeder ugh!!

Well tried a bunch and well the search will keep going on. Did find one place not sure if anyone has heard of them, Called Van Haitsma Farms in Reed Springs MO. Can not find any complaints or issues with them. They breed German Shepard’s, Rockies and Dobermans. Have found a lot of happy customers. So who knows.. Going to visit in a few weeks to see the place and look over paper work and parents. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything about Scott Van Haitsma Dobermans?

Thanks folks.. have a great day!

·
well trained hooman
765 Posts
Have you checked into the breeders suggested on your other thread? Have you contacted them and received responses? Sometimes it just takes time - and it will be worth it for the right pup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes we have spoken with most, only one we are still waiting on is OLD DRUM.. What it seems we have figured out is buying a Doberman puppy is like using a pogo stick in a mine field.. not very many good moves.. LOL.. really it looks like we will put this one hold maybe we can find one next year.. thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been going down the DPCA list over the last few days.. found only a few with puppies but too far away to drive not really to thrilled about shipping a puppy.. how do you just look at a picture and pick your dog?? Not going to work but we did get a few maybe litters in the fall..

·
She Ain't Pretty!
163 Posts
Been going down the DPCA list over the last few days.. found only a few with puppies but too far away to drive not really to thrilled about shipping a puppy.. how do you just look at a picture and pick your dog?? Not going to work but we did get a few maybe litters in the fall..
A good breeder will not let you pick your puppy (with the caveat that they may let you pick between very similar puppies). They will use your puppy application/ wants/ dog experience to chose the best fit for your family. The breeder has observed the puppies since day one and has a better handle on their characteristics than a buyer can gain in a visit or two.

·
Super Moderator
22,832 Posts
Exactly what the other poster said - you don't. And it's VERY worth waiting for a good breeder to have a litter. And potentially going farther away. I've had a pup from a not-so-good breeder. My current two are from good breeders - one is from Canada, and I took a road trip. The other is from Texas, and I had her flown to me. Both were MORE than worth it. And it's very, very worth waiting. The risks of sketchy temperaments and the lack of knowledge of health in the lines...just not worth it. Be patient and it will pay off. Remember that good breeders are very busy showing their dogs, often with a full time job, taking care of their dogs, they may also compete in other sports...it's busy! Make sure you aren't just sending an email that says "do you have puppies available, how much are they, etc."...that's a big turn off. Send a nice introduction about who you are, what your experience is with dogs, what you are looking for in a Doberman, why you are interested in them as a breeder....a resume, if you will. Wait a couple of weeks and follow up with a phone call to let them know you'd love to talk more with them about what breeding plans they might have and whether you might be a good fit for one of their puppies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.