Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a 7 month old blue doberman and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I need help because she seem so scared.

Also the person i got her from told me to give her some kind of hip supplement so she doesn't get rickets?? Is anyone familiar with this and if its necessary??

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If you feed her a good quality food, she would not need anything for rickets (that's a Vit D defiency).

·
Registered
92 Posts
OUr rescue was very fearful. Just lots of gentle affection and training don't rush her too much in terms of trying to face all her fears at once. She needs to gain confidence in you before she can have confidence in herself. We still have to walk Duchess through scary things-like getting her ball from under the table-lots of praise when she conquers something.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yes she is afraid of a lot. thanks for the advice:)
But it is a good sign that she likes to follow you everywhere. Lots of positive reinforcement..and make sure your boyfriend does that also so that she can feel more comfortable around him.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Dont baby or comfort her when she is scared, as doing so reinforces that state of mind. You only praise or reinforce a stable state of mind or when she overcomes a fear or has an accomplishment. Take her gradually and stop before you reach her threshold or the point where she begins to show unease with the situation. If she begins to show unease, back up to the point she is comfortable and reward that state, then slowly advance forward. Get the book, The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller, The Other End of the Lease by Patricia McConnel, PhD, and CalmingSignals by Turid Rugaas. All of these books will help you greatly. Feed a high quality dog food. I have sites below that will help you choose. Dont go below a 4 star. She could also benefit from a good fish oil, at least 300 EPA/DHA per 1000 mgs twice a day plus 400 iu vit E once a day. Have a full panel run on her thyroid in a year or so, as many dilutes do need throid suppliments. Thyroid deficiencies can effect her in many different ways.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All good advice here... think of ways to gradually challenge her as she grows. My dobie was slightly fearful when young... socialize her with ppl you know, other dogs you know with good temperment etc. work your way up to visiting stores like petsmart etc. Like others said she must trust you first. work on that, then move up. Be a calm confident handler and she will follow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts