Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

2 days ago I brought home a 2yr old male rescue dobe "Logan". I also have a 5 year old female Doberman "Lulu". Both are fixed but Logan constantly wants to mount Lulu. I exercise Logan and tell him no all the time.

How can I stop/reduce this? How long will this last? I keep telling him no but with limited results.

Thanks for any inputs

-Matt

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Hello All,

2 days ago I brought home a 2yr old male rescue dobe "Logan". I also have a 5 year old female Doberman "Lulu". Both are fixed but Logan constantly wants to mount Lulu. I exercise Logan and tell him no all the time.

How can I stop/reduce this? How long will this last? I keep telling him no but with limited results.

Thanks for any inputs

-Matt
My big Terrier Russell (5 years old) used to mount my old Boxer bitch (9 years old when she passed away in December of this year) He didnt do it all the time but on occasion, particularly say if we were coming in from a walk or going somewhere in the car. I always put it down to , 'I am the boss okay' Both Russell and my old Boxer were fixed so it wasnt down to hormones, or at least I don't think it was. Perhaps your "Logan" is just setting out his dominance. As for how you stop it, well I think your saying ''NO!" is about as much as you can do, especially as he is a new rescue and you may not know his past history or know him well enough to do much else. Perhaps others will have more constructive advise to give, sorry I couldnt be of more help, but I thought it might help to know it does happen even when your dogs have been fixed.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Give it a few more days to let them sort out pack order :) I would, however, try and redirect him to a different behavior. That is very rude in doggy speak :)

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Does Lulu correct Logan for this at all?

If the bitch will correct the dog that's usually the easiest solution. I almost pity male dogs that attempt to mount Fiona...key phrase: almost pity. LOL

I personally wouldn't allow it. It's rude and obnoxious and it can start fights. I'd be correcting him for even posturing, let alone actually mounting her.

i thank god every day that we dont communicate as dogs do. I could only imagine if this was the way humans greeted and established order ;) well come to think of it im not sure the male humans would mind lol
When was the last time you went to a bar/club with a group of single friends? This is damn near how drunk men 'greet' women. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. The female does nothing. I wish she would be more snippy.

The rescue dog Logan needs some obedience classes too. He does not listen even when I shout "NO". The fact he's 100lb doesn't help me either.:mad:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
try an air horn .. to get his attention ... justt dont aim it directly at him ... it works for my guys, especially when they are way out in the yard ...

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I would watch him and redirect his behavior before he's fully...um...aboard. "No" doesn't really mean much of anything to a dog, but "sit" might (if he's trained to sit) and is an incompatible behavior. Can't hump his "sister" if he's sitting, right?

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
I absolutely would not allow this behavior to continue. It is very stressful for your female and is establishing a negative pattern for your new guy right off the bat.

You will need to be vigilant for a few days but you can make huge progress toward breaking this pattern VERY QUICKLY if you are 100% consistent in not allowing it. Just dedicate your efforts to stopping it and replacing it with a very important desirable behavior - the recall.

To do this he needs to be wearing a leash all the time and preferably be tethered to you when you are home so that you monitor his behavior at all times. Watch him closely and when his body language indicates he is beginning to start the mounting behavior clap your hands and call him to you. Use a really cheerful voice - you are NOT scolding him!

At first, praise and move toward him to reward him as soon as he turns away from your female and toward you. You train the recall in successive steps and don't expect the finished behavior at first. I would definitely have treats in a pocket and use them for rewarding as your praise may not be a strong reward for him yet. I always use treats when I am first teaching a behavior. You will gradually ask him to come a little further toward you when you clap and call. After just a few sessions you will be able to ask him to come all the way to you for a reward. After he has had success at the first step of breaking off the unacceptable behavior of mounting and replacing it with the acceptable behavior of recall by turning toward you, I bet the next steps will follow quickly.

If at first he won't break off the behavior when you clap your hands and say his name + "come" or "here", then use the leash to give him a tug and still reward his turning away from the beginning attempt to mount, even though you assisted with the initial pull on the leash. If you cannot be with him at any time, then he needs to be totally separated from your female (hopefully he will go in a crate).

BTW, it is GREAT that you are giving him lots of exercise - that is fantastic for helping him adjust to his new home.

I encourage you to try clicker training with him - the more you train with him, the stronger the bond that will develop and the more acceptable behaviors you will have to reward instead of constantly yelling "NO!" for unacceptable behavior!

Check out the free info and videos on Karen Pryor Clickertraining and kikopup's channel on youtube.com. You will LOVE training and so will your dogs! Good luck and keep us posted with your progress!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts