Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for if/when a problem arises

Votes: 7 100.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ammo is a rescue/adopted dobie at 11 months old from a couple that could no longer care for him. The only background we know about him and his parents is that his mother died during/shortly after giving birth and the 9 puppies were bottle-raised. We have had him a year now, got him neutered and gastropexied. We had routine bloodwork and chest xrays taken, all normal. I just want some opinions on whether we should do any further testing as a precaution or just love the fact that he acts wonderfully healthy and handle problems when they arise???

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I would recommend a full blood panel at every annual check up...but I'd recommend that now for any dobe. Other than that enjoy his company to the fullest....get out and active with him and appreciate every day and every quirky thing he does. Most of all don't stress or worry. There are no guarantees of full health for the next 12-15 years for any dobe...even if the bloodlines/pedigrees have been researched back to front and inside out. Although knowing those lines gives you an idea what to keep an eye out for...and perhaps a better chance of avoiding problems...it's still a lottery until we know more about the genetics involved.

Further testing I would recommend so you can be informed would be
    • Von Willibrands DNA test to know his status
    • DCM DNA test ...although this is not predictive of DCM it would indicate keeping a closer eye on his heart if positive.
    • (optional) have his hips and neck and elbows x-rayed (OFA), but it can be expensive so I would only do that if the vet thinks it might be a problem as he won't be used for breeding.

VWd is probably the only test in that list that is going to increase your knowledge about your dog in a meaningful way that will impact the decisions you make over his lifetime...but even then it's not urgent, although it is helpful to know if he requires major surgery anytime.

Full blood panels though....can't recommend them strongly enough!
Relax and enjoy....can't recommend that strongly enough either! :)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had full bloodwork, both before he was neutered and again six months later (including coagulation panel- which measures the clotting factors of the blood, so no concern for further bleeding disorder at this time, ie vWd)
Thanks for your advice and opinion!!!!!!! I really appreciate it:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts