Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any reputable European doberman breeders either in the states or overseas? I am currently doing research to find a responsible breeder. I was hoping I could get suggestions from people who've had experience purchasing overseas or any any suggestion for breeders in the states. I am willing to try either. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greenkouki sorry for the confusion, I am interested in a european doberman. I am open to either purchasing in the states or overseas.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,096 Posts
I think the reason Greenkouki asked is that sometimes a person knows exactly what they want and exactly why a dobe with European breeding will fill those needs.

But sometimes, and unfortunately more often, the person has been fed a line by unscrupulous breeders either that European dobes are always simply better or somehow healthier than those of American breeding (and that is how they justify their prices and tell you why you must buy their dogs.)

Or sometimes people have misconceptions about what is actually different between the two types. They compare fully mature European dobes with the younger not as fully developed American dobes in US dog shows and decide that Euros are massively larger and more strongly built, which isn't necessarily true.

They look at the different temperaments of the two types (American dobes, it is true, are often not as suited for bitework as the Euros are)--they want a tough dog. But they don't realize what else comes with those temperaments--what kind of homes they will need to provide for that dobe. A dog bred specifically for working with the massive drive that entails is not for the faint-hearted or the inexperienced! That dog will not fit in with a lot of households--and if the dog doesn't fit in a particular home, everyone suffers.

So we almost always ask that question--to try to find out what the person really needs and is looking for, and whether their viewpoints are soundly grounded in reality--it helps us to know what kind of breeders we should be recommending and trying to match a person to.

There's just so much misinformation out there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Melbrod I am interested in a european doberman because I am looking into doing schutzhund with these dogs. I really fell in love with the breed and I am more attracted to the european build of the doberman as well. I am aware that these dogs require a lot of training, but I am willing to put the time and effort into that puppy. However I am not looking to immediately purchase one at the moment, so I am looking into breeders so I can have a resource list and pick who I could purchase from in the future. I hope that clarified it :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Does anyone know of any reputable European doberman breeders either in the states or overseas? I am currently doing research to find a responsible breeder. I was hoping I could get suggestions from people who've had experience purchasing overseas or any any suggestion for breeders in the states. I am willing to try either. Thanks in advance. :)

D&C, you are on the wrong forum. Most of the list mavens on this forum do not personally have any first hand experience with Euro Dobermans or know very much about them, so they will try to convince you that you need the kind of Doberman they prefer. I would recommend you go to the United Doberman Club, Breeders Directory, https://uniteddobermanclub.com/udc-breeder-directory/. That would be a good place to start. Many of the European breeders in Europe that sell over the internet and are the most common over here sell their discards to North America.

You need to be careful whether you are buying an American or a European Doberman. There are good and bad breeders of both varieties.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Hoss is European Doberman and my previous Doberman Mafia was also Euro.
All Dobermans are awesome.
American or European you always have to take a very careful look and there is still no guarantee of longevity.
So whats the plan DC ...Euros do have a REAL strong drive.
Work work work .....but work can be fun.
Hoss loves nosework.........4 years old and keeps me off the couch thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Oh yeah, check out Dobermanblog.com
If you scroll to the bottom there is an email address for administration listed.
I have emailed admin. And received quick responses ....lot of information available.
What area do you reside ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input! I will definitely check out the UDC website and dobermanblog:2smile:. LadyDi, yes I am looking into getting into schutzhund when I get a puppy. I live in Southern California. I really fell in love with the breed and I have always wanted to get into dog sports like schutzhund. I am hoping to get my own doberman in the future.

·
Super Moderator
21,280 Posts
D&C, you are on the wrong forum. Most of the list mavens on this forum do not personally have any first hand experience with Euro Dobermans or know very much about them, so they will try to convince you that you need the kind of Doberman they prefer. I would recommend you go to the United Doberman Club, Breeders Directory, https://uniteddobermanclub.com/udc-breeder-directory/. That would be a good place to start. Many of the European breeders in Europe that sell over the internet and are the most common over here sell their discards to North America.

You need to be careful whether you are buying an American or a European Doberman. There are good and bad breeders of both varieties.

Good Luck.
That's an unfair assessment - when people are looking for sport dogs, I always recommend they find the UDC. There are definitely people that are open minded.

OP, the United Doberman Club's FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/uniteddobe...rLcGjK_zN0d6mbABgZ76vtju9wJw6kkfV7p0fpHvBKT0r That might be a good place to start connecting with people who are working their dogs in competitive sports.

If you aren't already connected the closest club to you, I'd also getting connected there. While Dobermans aren't as common as other breeds, they may have some leads for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the input! I will definitely check out the UDC website and dobermanblog:2smile:. LadyDi, yes I am looking into getting into schutzhund when I get a puppy. I live in Southern California. I really fell in love with the breed and I have always wanted to get into dog sports like schutzhund. I am hoping to get my own doberman in the future.
Just so you can find what your looking for better, it's not referred to as "Shutzhund" anymore, depending on the club it's either IPO or IPG

If you really like the dog sports with bite work then also look into PSA (Protection Sport Association) and French Ringsport.

French Ring is really tailor made for the Malinois and PSA is a more modern dog sport that puts lots of emphasis on dealing with distractions (ie: having your dog ignore the decoys in the bite suits while you have the dog heel). I think only a handful of dogs in the world have ever actually earned PSA level 3

Good luck

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just so you can find what your looking for better, it's not referred to as "Shutzhund" anymore, depending on the club it's either IPO or IPG

If you really like the dog sports with bite work then also look into PSA (Protection Sport Association) and French Ringsport.

French Ring is really tailor made for the Malinois and PSA is a more modern dog sport that puts lots of emphasis on dealing with distractions (ie: having your dog ignore the decoys in the bite suits while you have the dog heel). I think only a handful of dogs in the world have ever actually earned PSA level 3

Good luck
The new name of the sport is IGP. But many local training clubs will have Schutzhund or IPO in their club name because IGP is only been called as such since 2019.

French Ring isn't tailor made to the Malinois, but Malinois excel at it. There was a time where Ring was dominated by GSDs and Dobes in France. An era bygone now. PSA is also mostly dominated by Mals and Dutch Shepherds. There is no PSA3 Doberman in the history of the sport, it is much much more than a notion of focusing with distractions, it's a sport that combines elements of all other existing protection sports and will put the dog under extreme pressure. It's not just about the distractions it's also about the level of adversity they will face, and the fact your dog has to be genuinely trained to expect the unexpected since PSA3 always includes new surprise scenarios that have never been done before. You are correct that the "PSA3 Club" is very small. What makes it distinctive from other protection sports aside from the obvious is that there are huge leaps and steep learning curves between the PDC, the PSA1, PSA2 and PSA3.

PSA got that wild unpredictable factor from Mondio Ring which is also a lot of fun, similar to French Ring but a bit less difficult on the actual bitework (decoy's in French Ring must do everything in their power to make the dog miss the bite, and at the highest level can even attempt to block the dog. In Mondio they cannot block the dog.), more difficult because of the unpredictable nature of the items on the field and themes.

The only other sport that has the same level of intensity as PSA imo is Campagne, which is exclusively French. It can include scenarios on a lake or a river where the decoy tries to flee on water and the dog has to catch up to them. There are also a couple of clubs in the US attempting KNPV but the Dutch don't actually want to export it, so it is 'unofficial'. Belgian Ring is also a thing but I don't think it is practiced in North America at all, and I don't know anything about that one.

I think IGP is the only sport that includes tracking, though some of the others can have a scent/search component as part of the OB and/or protection.

Ahem, back to OP: the look of european dobermans you like will be less common in actual working lines. European show lines will vary in temperament and drive same as Am lines, (and there are a lot of ****ty nerves coming out of certain east european countries in particular) so do your due diligence. The UDC is probably a better ressource to get a dog with the look you want but still maintaining the grip and temperament you need for IGP, than attempting to import. There are lots of very nice working, european dobermans in the US and Canada now.

There's also an increasing amount of breeders mixing American and European lines together to attempt creating well balanced all around dogs and hoping they will be healthier.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
D&C, you are on the wrong forum. Most of the list mavens on this forum do not personally have any first hand experience with Euro Dobermans or know very much about them, so they will try to convince you that you need the kind of Doberman they prefer. .....

...You need to be careful whether you are buying an American or a European Doberman. There are good and bad breeders of both varieties.

Good Luck.
Ummm I think this is a BS statement!! I really don't think that the people here try to dissuade people from buying a Euro Doberman IF they are looking for the right reasons. If they have REAL reasons for looking Euro, then we either give them what information we have, or suggest who to talk to/where to go. You and I both know that a lot of people are looking for the wrong type of dog for their interests and/or experience level based on ignorant/Greedy internet information.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
can you expand on where the ****ty lines are coming from ... breeders specifically ?
Most any person who buys two Dobermans and just starts breeding them to make puppies and money - they have no idea what they are doing, nothing about genetics, and do nothing with their dogs ..... no titles, no real health testing, etc..... This pretty much accounts for the majority of the people breeding dogs out there of any breed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts