Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a reputable breeder ive come across "Kimbertal Kennels" which as i read on stirrs up a lot of heated discussion.... Can someone help me find a Doberman of show quality that is from a decent breeder or can anyone give me the name of a breeder that is known with a good reputation?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
They are nothing but a large scale puppy mill. If you want a show quality Doberman, they are def. not the place to look.
What part of the country do you live in? Have you gone to any shows in your area? Do you want a show quality dog to owner handle or are you going to use a professional handler for the dog? Do you have any other interests besides showing in conformation with your Doberman?

Here is a wonderful checklist when checking out breeders. Read it carefully, the information in it is valuable when searching for a breeder that is really reputable: http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm

If you are looking for a quality competitive show dog make sure the breeder health tests, has titles on the dogs that they breed, and make sure they only breed CH. Dobes (not Int' CH.'s either if that is the only CH. title they have, that isn't saying much)

·
Premium Member
10,623 Posts
If you are looking for show quality or even a decent pet I would recommend you avoid Kimbertal and House of Hoytt like the plague--both are large scale puppy mills of long standing.

One of the places to look would be on the Doberman Pinscher Club of America web site--they list DPCA members in a breeders directory and be aware that just because they may be listed on the web site doesn't mean that they are the best breeders. Read the information in the buying guide that D & D gave you the link to--it's an excellent reference source.

What part of the country are you from--there are people on this list who can probably recommend breeders if they have some idea what area you come from.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
EjLsuzcz said:
In my search for a reputable breeder ive come across "Kimbertal Kennels" which as i read on stirrs up a lot of heated discussion.... Can someone help me find a Doberman of show quality that is from a decent breeder or can anyone give me the name of a breeder that is known with a good reputation?
If you are in the same area as Kimbertal, then I can give you the names of some good breeders in the SE Pennsylvania & NJ area. Kimberhell .....oops, I mean Kimbertal is about 30 minutes from me :-(

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
dobebug said:
If you are looking for show quality or even a decent pet I would recommend you avoid Kimbertal and House of Hoytt like the plague--both are large scale puppy mills of long standing.
I agree, even if someone were looking for a pet Dobe, I would suggest they run as far as they can from Kimbertal and HOH.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Velmadobe, I'm down in MD, but lived in Clinton NJ for 15 years. who would you recommend in the NJ PA neighborhood. altho I've got my rescues, I would love to try my hand at showing in the not too distant future

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I like the look of some of the Caleb dobes I have seen and one or two of Aliston dobes, but some of Gwen dogs are looking very swanlike and petite (some bitches seem almost delicate) and I like the sturdier look myself. Tho the last couple show I sent to the more delicate dobes took BIB. it seems like most of the breeders closer to me are breeding the more delicate style - I've seen several destiny dobes, and triadels that were fairly dainty.

cc

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Codysmom said:
Velmadobe, I'm down in MD, but lived in Clinton NJ for 15 years. who would you recommend in the NJ PA neighborhood. altho I've got my rescues, I would love to try my hand at showing in the not too distant future

cc
I totally missed this - sorry! We were gone camping from the 18th -21st, and I did not go back far enough to see your question when we got back.

Cody if you want to email me privately, I will be happy to give you some reputable breeders of nice dogs that will satisfy your desire to have some bone and substance. Go to my website, and you can e-mail me from it where I have the link.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
She also didn't respond at all when I e-mailed her to inform her that a daughter of a dog she bred was in rescue.
I don't think that Ada Levine is local to PA, NJ - I do believe she is in Florida. Right? I want to say that I heard she spends some of her time in SA, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. No excuse for not getting back to you at some point. It seems to me that most breeders will not take any responsibility for dogs in rescue beyond what they themselves bred - grandpuppies don't seem to count. Sad, but I've seen it with "reputable" breeders myself. I've got the pedigree for a rescue in my file cabinate for a bitch that came into rescue - grandbaby of a very well know sire. Breeder was contacted and said - sorry but they had no room for them. I can understand the no room, but it would be nice to get a decent sized donation to help cover costs. This particular dog was tough to place and spent months in a boarding kennel at $9/day.......you do the math. It would have been nice if they would have even checked back with us to see what happened to her.........never did, and I see that breeder at shows all the time - they usually have a special. They know who I am and never asked me what happened to that dog.

For the person who mentioned her, I believe she breeds mostly south American lines. Some people like that look, but many breeders here don't like the extreme look of them.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I believe she breeds mostly south American lines. Some people like that look, but many breeders here don't like the extreme look of them.
what does the south american look look like?

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
LapDog said:
what does the south american look look like?
Like a Doberman - LOL, I could not resist :)

Seriously, the standard they follow is the FCI one I believe which allows for a slightly larger, longer than tall dog. I can't speak for all SA Dobermans, but the ones I have seen usually look a little more extreme overall, and they have what I call lots of "flash". More front, more rear, more slope to the top line. I've heard that their temperament can be a little sharper than what is the norm in the states. They have become fairly popular here and you are finding them in more pedigrees - especially in areas like Florida which has more of a SA influence in all things not just dogs :)

I'm not saying any of this in a negative way. I like some of the SA Dobermans, and dislike others. If they can meet our standard, have good temperament & health then I see no reason not to use them in breeding programs if they can improve a line. I say the same thing about the European Dobermans. Velma is part Euro back a few generations. I think the one thing she got out of it is her beautiful dark rust markings.

What is unfortunate, is that some breeders run every which direction looking to breed to the flavor of the month rather than what will best suit their bitch and their line.

A good place to see pictures of many SA dogs is the advertising pages of the Doberman Digest. The April 2006 issue featured a SA breeder and an American breeder who has used SA dogs in her breeding program.

Just as an FYI: From what I have learned, many SA breeders started with North American Dobermans, and still use them. The importing goes both ways.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I looked at that website, and I was just about to get on here and ask some of the questions you just awnsered VelmaDobe. They in general looked a little longer to me, not as "square" (look at me using the lingo, haha) as some of the dobes here. When you say that they have a little more front and rear, what do you mean by that? Like the chest area comes farther out? They do look like they have a little more substance overall, or maybe they are just a little older, I dont know. I thought they were very pretty though. I love the darker markings you were talking about. I think the richer the colors the prettier it is.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
BackInBlack said:
I looked at that website, and I was just about to get on here and ask some of the questions you just awnsered VelmaDobe. They in general looked a little longer to me, not as "square" (look at me using the lingo, haha) as some of the dobes here. When you say that they have a little more front and rear, what do you mean by that? Like the chest area comes farther out? They do look like they have a little more substance overall, or maybe they are just a little older, I dont know. I thought they were very pretty though. I love the darker markings you were talking about. I think the richer the colors the prettier it is.
They are pretty - that is for sure. If you look at the pictures of "Catriel", he really is the epitome of "extreme" IMHO. He is a stunningly handsome dog, but is he correct?? I enjoy looking at him but I don't think he is correct. I won't comment on his temperament here because what I know is all hearsay. There are others here who might have first hand knowledge of it.

The question we have to ask ourselves is this: Do we breed to the standard, or do we breed what will win under some judges because it is flashy? My personal answer to that question is that we need to breed to the standard.
The problem with dogs that extreme is that they sometimes cannot do what they were bred for. Watch a dog with a rear extension that long try to gallup, and you will see what I mean. They can cover ground like nobodys business in a show ring gait because they are long, but this is supposed to be a galluping breed.

My Louise has lots of rear extension and as a puppy was pretty awkward trying to figure out how to use all of it. Her angulation is moderating as she matures - just like the breeder thought it would, and as a result, she is getting more graceful. I'd rather have a little too much rear than not enough......but then again, no dog is perfect.

I will also say, that there are plenty of all Ameican bred Dobermans with lots of Flash, and excessive angle. Most SA dogs hail back to NA Dobermans.......they got all that angulation and flash somewhere - LOL! As you start learning pedigrees and breeder lines, you can look at some of the pedigrees on that website and "see" the NA lines in those dogs along with the SA lines. I am still a novice when it comes to knowing pedigrees and am only just starting to recognize some of them myself. I think it will take the rest of my life to become any kind of expert on pedigrees.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
LapDog said:
lol thanks lol! where is the picture or website you see them on?
Hero's mom posted it on page one of this thread. The breeder is considered to be a reputable breeder. I don't know her or her dogs personaly so really don't know more than that.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Long, low and overdone. Very dramatic and sometimes very beautiful..but not correct and lacking breed type per our standard.
Well see, you said it all in only 20 words!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for a good breeder

EjLsuzcz said:

I'm in the same boat I'm looking for a good breeder and I'm in the DE/PA/NJ area and all I have come across is Kimbertal Kennels. After reading alot of posts here and other place I'm sure glad I didnt buy one from them. If anyone can help me out with some breeders it would help alot.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 62 Posts