Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pouring over ear pics...my girls ears are a little bent (i'm sure all of you noticed!) how do I fix it...if it's fixable. The bell, pockets etc has me a bit confused...but I'm guessing she has too much bell? Repost? She's 10 months old now. I hate that I'm just noticing this last week while lurking, I just really do not have much to compare to locally-and honestly all the compliments I get may have blinded me. Thanks everyone for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention she has not been posted since about 5 1/2 months...and they were straighter then...I will try to find a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
At her age, the easiest thing to do would be to buy a small roll of 2 inch paper masking tape. Cut off about a 9 to 12 inch long piece and wrap it around and around the ear, where the ear bends, until you are out of tape. You can wrap loosely then scrunch with your hand to make the tape adhere to itself. You dont have to do anything but brace where the ear bends to make it straight. Leave the tape on till it starts to loosen. Then you can just finish pulling the tape away where it has begun to release from the ear, cut it, pull off and retape. I would tape them for a month anyway depending on how they do.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
They just were not completely ready to stand - It is a nice crop and you can try to correct it as Linda suggested above.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! When I tape them should I let the ear fold in as if there was a post there? I'm not sure how much of a pocket (for lack of a better word) to leave between the inside of ear and the tape in front since there will be no rod/post...for example when taping them should I stick my finger in the ear for a brace just while taping them? (I am also scouring through pics to see if there is already an example) :)

·
Super Moderator
22,576 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sorry, but am on phone so cant read all your question. PM me if I dont answer all of it. No you dont have to make the ears fold or do anything, no brace...nothing, other then to make them straighten up. Wrap tape around the ear so where the ear starts to bend is in the middle of the tape. Wrap as many times as you need to give the ear a firm brace, but not so much as to make the brace heavy. That is why you use paper tape, it is very lightweight. It also doesnt pull the hair out when you remove it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you answered my question Linda :) what I will do is tape them and then post a picture of my tape job....and I'm sure a scowly dobie face in the process!!!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Info for anyone wanting to use this method to finish the ear. I used Duck Paper Masking Tape. Online info says it is available at Staples. I am not sure if the Tesa Crepe Paper Masking Tape would work as one of its selling points is how flexible it is. You dont want a flexible tape for holding the ears up straight. I also, being a worriwort, fold about 1/8 in. of the bottom of the tape back on itself, sticky side to sticky side, to prevent a paper cut. Not even sure if a paper cut is possible, but I like to consider all possibilities and take steps to avoid complications. I believe I wrapped around 3 or 4 times, just enough to make them stiff. You can tell if they are stiff enough and they didnt bother Parker at all.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, get ready for the ugliest tape jobs in the world DT! lol The only photo I have is from my phone since my internets is down and cannot upload from my camera at work (but it's ok to be on DT :) ) in the pic the one on my left looks ok to me, the one on the right she's holding funny, but to make sure I retaped it and they're looking the same now. Since I wasn't able to find 2in paper masking tape (is this just regular ol' masking tape Linda? I'm stuck on the word paper) I used 1in (PITA!) medical paper tape...I really do not think it's sturdy enough, but I wanted to get them up asap. I thought about putting a breathe right strip on the back of the ear and then taping them...What do you guys think? I'm sure the masking tape will be sturdy enough without the strip, but not too sure on this medical tape. Also, should I be leaving the tip of her ear out that much? Ok, fire away with suggestions/critics...but be nice! I'm fragile and already embarrassed for poor Gemma *hanging head in shame* LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, it is just plain 2 inch, or close, masking tape you use when painting to protect borders. The way you use the strips you have to wash and shave the ears where you put them and apply Skin Bond so they will stay. Skin bond can be hard to find and you may have to order it online, costs about $13. The strips go on the inside of the ear. It is just simplier to use masking tape, but if you want to try strips then go ahead and try them. Of course, it is whatever you prefer to do.:) I couldnt get Gemmas pic to enlarge, just got code.:( Couldnt really see them well as on my phone. Dont worry about the tips of the ear. Just worry about where the ear bends as that is the part that needs to be braced to straighten it. It is so easy and simple with the 2 inch tape as you simply wrap it around three or four times in the same spot. Takes longer to get the tape off in one piece, cut and 1/8 inch folded back on itself than it takes to tape the bend of the ear. Keep us informed.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much Linda...kinda glad you couldn't enlarge the picture!! LOL Painters tape it is then! At least the blue will match her dog tag :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I am finally back online with my computer! YAY!!! So, this what a pouty face dobe looks like after not having tape for months...it's so pitiful it's comical. And her laying on the floor is not a coincidence, that's her I'M GOING TO DIE act...she forgets she's dying when you get fish cookies out. first time using photo bucket *crossing fingers*

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Where did I say blue? Guess it doesnt matter, but my tape is tan, plain tan 2 in masking tape made out of paper. Now that I have that off my chest, her right ear looks nice and straight. Cant tell about left ear but I am sure you can tell if it is straight or not. Remember, it is very important not to leave the ears untaped or to test them for at least a month and maybe more because of the length of time they havent been posted. They may have somewhat set in the old position and you dont want to give them any chance to return to the old position. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where did I say blue? Guess it doesnt matter, but my tape is tan, plain tan 2 in masking tape made out of paper. Now that I have that off my chest, her right ear looks nice and straight. Cant tell about left ear but I am sure you can tell if it is straight or not. Remember, it is very important not to leave the ears untaped or to test them for at least a month and maybe more because of the length of time they havent been posted. They may have somewhat set in the old position and you dont want to give them any chance to return to the old position. Keep up the good work!
You didn't :) I found tan, but it only had adhesive on half of it...which seems odd to me so I went with the blue...figured it gave her a little more character anyway. I did her left ear right before the pictures so her holding it funny is part of her being dramatic. They are straight (yay). I think she's more upset about me constantly feeling the tips of her ears to make sure the tape didn't tightened up and cut off circulation then the actual tape itself. Let me correct that, I did not tape them tight at all, I'm just paranoid and check her constantly. The first time I taped them I left them for 24 hrs and then took down after I had to bathe her (digging in the mud is super fun!) and checked for any irration-there was none so she was taped back up after ears were dried. I'm going to keep at it and hope that it works! Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hmmm, about the maskig tape. They had the stuff at Staples the Duck thingy said. Don't know why on earth a painter's tape would only have half with glue, makes not sense to me??? Things are weird nowadays, imo. I sold my house and moved into my Mom's after she passed and this was tape she had for goodness knows how long. She had everthing you could need.:) Now I have had it for 11 yrs, probably still be some of it left when I die.lol

You welcome!:):):) You really don't have to worry about the circulation being cut off. The way these are taped the circulation can't be cut off.:) They look good, am on computer now.:) Don't you love the way the tape doesn't pull fur???

Be sure to keep us informed or me at least, cause I care how they turn out. I have a vested interest in them now.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do love that it doesn't pull hair! And thank god I don't have to worry about circulation...now I can sleep at night :) I will be sure to keep you updated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts