Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am new here (just posted an intro in the new members section). I have a blue dobie who has had some CDA issues (when we got him, adopted, he had really bad bumps all over his body and barely any hair but we took him to the vet and she contacted a dermatologist who mentioned that there was recent research promoting the use of melatonin as well as benzoyl plus shampoo and ALL OF HIS BUMPS ARE GONE! He looks phenomenal and his hair has even grown in thicker (not thick but thicker than before).

Anyway he has torn his pads on his feet a couple of times when fetching for long periods so we have starting checking them every few minutes while he is running but his carpal pad (the one high up) tears every time. We wait for awhile and try to let it heal but it seems like it is just sensitive to it...we are wondering if anyone has a suggestion for thickening pads (we have tried to give him a break from running, running only on grass, starting back slow, etc).

Not sure if it has something to do with the CDA or what but I just don't want it to turn into a granuloma...

·
Registered
370 Posts
It would maybe be helpful if you could take a picture of it and give us an idea. You might look into getting Mushers Secret. Maybe keeping it moist or you might just have to invest in quite a bit of Vet wrap and before going out for a good play session or whatever, throw a few wraps around that part of the leg to protect the pad from catching on anything.

There is also another product called Tuff Foot. You might try Amazon for either or both of these products.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Wylde. I actually don't have a picture of it when it is raw (like right after he tears it) but it basically looks like he shears the top layer off (his vet said that it was basically like a person getting a blister but I am just worried at how much it is happening with this one pad). I just took a picture (attached-its the bottom pad in the picture) of his pad right now (and his other front pad for comparison). It has been torn recently but it seems to heal fairly quickly (but not durably). Here is the pic although probably not helpful

I will definitely check out the creams, I was thinking of looking into something like that and thought of contacting musher friends to ask them as well-I am guessing they would recommend mushers secret :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
lol boy, maybe its just the picture, but he does have some good sized pads lol.

When I clip/dremel my girls nails, I also trim a touch of the pad off. Hers really over grow a bit and I also worry about her catching them on things. So after I trim them just a little ( and as you know yes they do have a good blood supply ) I take the dremel to them to smooth them down and then I put mushers secret on them and give em a nice massage. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I didn't realize that you could trim pads (we always clip off parts that are extended past the main pad or torn but do you mean more than that?) A dremel sounds like it would work well, maybe I will look into that as well as the creams. Thanks!

Just found a different pad that he apparently tore today (I was searching for an example to post on here...) so here it is (this one is a small tear)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happens with all surfaces from grass, sand, woodchips, mud, gravel, everything...we thought it might be the surfaces so we tried different things but it even happens when he only runs on grass...

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,301 Posts
I've never used them, but I know that folks who race whippets use a special pad attached with velcro to protect the dog's wrist pad. Google for "stopper pad protector" and see what you can find. There are also a couple of folks with racing connections here on the forum--maybe they will chime in to tell you if those might work for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Melbrod-That seems like that would work perfectly! I never knew such a thing existed! I think he does it when he skids (because often he misses grabbing the ball on the first pass by so he skids and turns around). Definitely seems like a combo of cream to thicken them up and getting pads for the long fetching days would work!

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My dog also tears her pads sometime from playing fetch and skidding and also from puppy playdates when she plays particularly rough. I have used mushers secret before and more recently bought a pair of ruff wear boots for her. The boots did not stay on very well unfortunately but I might try the kind that come higher up to see if they work better. Maybe booties would be good for your boy too.

Our dog was away with her show handler for about a week after a recent tear, and her handler used corona cream on them daily and that seemed to help quite a bit. You might check out the corona cream for reconditioning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have a dog on my search and rescue team with fragile pads, and before she goes out she gets dog booties put on. :) She sits so still and hands dad her paws for booties, like she knows they keep her from having awful torn pads. I think he puts something topical on the pads as well, I'll ask him for you when I see him.

These are them:

Ruffwear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex? Dog Boots

Reactions: Sleighs907

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only trim the carpal pads as they overgrow a bit, but if you try this be extremely careful. Same with the dremel to smooth them down. Just a slight touch or two, cause it gets hot and would be like dremeling your foot.

Definately check into the foot creams, tuff foot, mushers secret etc etc. but Foot pads/booties/vet wrap might be the best way to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts