Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like some view points on repeat breedings. I am not a breeder. I joined ths forum over a year ago and have gotten very good information. I have talked to many breeders and have gone to conformation shows. A few breeders(have forgotten who) told me their is always room for improvement so they saw no reason to repeat a breeding. I also practice natural rearing. I view this as no vaccines or only what's required by law. Not using chemicals on the dog or in the home(I make all my cleaners and soap except shampoo) and feeding a raw diet(3 years). I am married, 2 kids, 1 dog(german shorthaired pointer), have been training dogs for 2 years and have fostered 3 dogs. By no means am I claiming to be an expert.

I have a very young friend who is critizing me for choosing a doberman. Claims I do not practice natural rearing and for not believing in microchips. Now, she recently joined a schutzhund club for working german shepherds. She currently has a 4 yr old gsd. My friend is 20 by the way and lives in an apartment. They are letting her get a puppy for a real discount off their next repeat breeding. The breeders have been doing this for 30 plus years and most dogs are kenneled unless working. They feed raw but do vaccinate.

Does this seem like a good breeder? I am hoping to get a puppy from Traci Mulligan of Rehbolzer, 2013 litter. I have talked with her and she knows her stuff. Plus, she practices natural rearing which was what I was looking for.

I hate to end a friendship but enough is enough. She has been a dog trainer at Petsmart for 1 month and in the schutzund club for 3-5 months and feeding raw for 2 months(which I helped her get started)

Thanks and welcome comments.:lol2:

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I'm of the opinion that repeat breedings do have a place in limited circumstances...that being; as part of a solid line breeding programe, where the first litter was exceptional and consistant.

I'm not a breeder btw...

but I'd be digging deep to establish why a repeat breeding was done, and would run a mile if the likely reason was simply that the sire and dam were convienient. (unfortunately too common).

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
It's not necessarily that the dam and sire are convenient. Working dog people see a fantastic breeding with good progeny, its a 'why break it' type of thought. When you have a litter of drivey stubborn landsharks, I don't think its wrong to repeat the breeding. What is important is to ask 'what was so great about the progeny they reused the stud'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what my friend has told me, the litter sold very quickly and they still had request for puppies. Also, since it is the same male from last year (sending bitch to Germany) it is easier. How can you determine how the good the pups are if they are only a year old? How about breeders selling to a 20 year old kid? It sends up a big red flag for me.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
If the 20 year old kid is an experienced owner (and since the already have one dog, and are training, it sounds like they do have some experience), are willing to work with and train the puppy, and the breeder felt they would be a good match for the puppy, why should they not? There are several members on here who are in their early 20's who own Dobes (and other breeds or mixes).

ALso, from what you said in your first post in this thread, you would not consider me a good owner, because 1. I don't feed raw (too big a hassle for my household); 2. I vaccinate my pets (next door neighbor lost an entire litter to parvo earlier this year); and 3. I microchip my pets (I'd rather they be returned to me if the get lost, thank you). You probably wouldn't want someone to sell me a dog, either.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Well...I wouldn't place a puppy with anyone who wasn't willing to vaccinate it. I definitely think there's been a trend towards overvaccinating dogs, and that's been harmful. But I've also seen puppies dying of parvo, I've seen puppies dying of distemper-these are ugly, ugly PREVENTABLE diseases. And I know of more than one breeder who practices "natural rearing" who've lost puppies to these PREVENTABLE diseases.

A happy medium is usually always the best course, and vaccinating dogs in no different.

I wouldn't point a finger at anyone who does a repeat breeding. I can see doing one if you only had a singleton litter, and didn't get the gender you wanted with the first breeding or something like that.

But if you're supposed to continually strive to improve with each litter, then you're really doing nothing different or better with a repeat. You're also doing nothing to expand genetic diversity. It's usually all about wins and increasing the accomplishments the breeder can brag about, not what's best for the breed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am hoping to get a puppy from Traci Mulligan of Rehbolzer, 2013 litter. I have talked with her and she knows her stuff. Plus, she practices natural rearing which was what I was looking for.

Thanks and welcome comments.:lol2:
I like Traci, very down to earth. Is she the one repeating a litter? Is she repeating the breeding that gave her Doozie? If so, then I think I would get on the list for sure. Love that girl and her brothers that I've met at shows up here. :)

I love how dedicated Traci is to her mission of producing good solid working dogs with good health, good looks and good quality of life. There's no mistaking how much she loves her dogs! They definitely seem very drivey and FUN.

Reactions: pdubois64

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Hi,

I hate to end a friendship but enough is enough. She has been a dog trainer at Petsmart for 1 month and in the schutzund club for 3-5 months and feeding raw for 2 months(which I helped her get started)

:
I am not following this at all. End a friendship because she is suggesting getting a GSD instead of a doberman? End it because she disagrees with you on some trivial bs. Or is she overbearing and you need to set some boundaries?

As far as the other practices. I don't feed raw and have not since spending $500 when my last bitch almost died from it. I also vaccinate and would not send a puppy to someone who would not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts