Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out that I have to find a new rental property. UGH! The battle begins! lol

So here is my dilemma: Convincing landlords that my dogs are not the devil. We have renters insurance that cover liability if they bite someone. But recently I saw this other insurance policy Pet Insurance for renters , 24Petwatch Pet Insurance that claims to cover damage that might be caused by your pet (not a very big payout value, but its something). I am curious if anyone has ever heard of this? uses it? knows of other policy's like it? is it legit?

I am just trying to do anything I can to show landlords that we are covered and even though I don't expect anything like this to happen, we are prepared, if it does.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I've never heard of it. My renter's insurance is through State Farm, and pet bites/injuries are covered under the policy. The only extra I have added is flood insurance.

It helps if you bring your vet records and any recommendations from trainers, along with obedience titles, certificates, etc. I've had better luck renting from private homeowners than apartment companies. Most of them ban Dobermans, and will not budge on their policies. Apartment companies can be held liable for damage done by one of their tenant's dogs, hence the breed bans. I don't like them, but it's reality. Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Having a CGC can help; but then again some habits die hard. A lot of renters are not trying to deal with any of this, regardless of what you have to say; one of the bad things about having an "aggressive breed" dog. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I am interested to find out why you are having to look for another rental property. Is it because your lease is up for renewal and your landlord won't renew, if so, why not? A sudden change of heart regards a dog that has caused no problems is most unfair and surely can be contested. If your lease isn't up and you have been asked to leave because of the dogs again I would challenge this. (if however it is because of something you have done, ie parties, car maintainance that are specifically banned under your lease you are on a dodgy ground).
Regards the insurance, I have no experience with this (in the US) so I cannot advise you, however, a great many Dobe owners on this site recommend 'State Farm' so perhaps you could give them a call and find out if they offer 'contents/buildings damage insurance with specific detail regarding damage by dogs.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm not sure my insurance covers my dog. I think I asked once and the former agent told me "NO, because she was a Doberman." The new agent, I can't remember. I realized after I got my dog that I just limited myself to where I would be able to live. Since I rent also, not only is it a breed issue, but many places don't allow dogs over 25 lbs.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running into the same issue. My husband got a job in San Antonio TX. And we now have to move. Ive been looking and not having much luck. We own our home here in VA, so having my doberman is not an issue. But I have never heard some of the things that people in TX are saying to me. I had a rental company say to me "When your dog eats a child" Yes, he said "eats". At that point in time, very "colorful" words came out of my mouth. I didn't think it would be this hard to find a place to rent. I can shoot a person that comes into my yard, but my dog cannot bite them. :confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am interested to find out why you are having to look for another rental property.
We are at the end of our lease terms and the owners brother is moving here and they want him to live in the home. We have not damaged the, house at all. Quite the contrary, we have made improvements that cost us money, but that we wanted in a house (like seeding the "dirt lawn," and installing internet/cable outlets in the home, etc). It is very frustrating because the landlord never told us about their brother until now, so I am scrambling to find another place so that we are not homeless.

I am running into the same issue. My husband got a job in San Antonio TX. And we now have to move. Ive been looking and not having much luck. We own our home here in VA, so having my doberman is not an issue. But I have never heard some of the things that people in TX are saying to me. I had a rental company say to me "When your dog eats a child" Yes, he said "eats". At that point in time, very "colorful" words came out of my mouth. I didn't think it would be this hard to find a place to rent. I can shoot a person that comes into my yard, but my dog cannot bite them.
I know exactly what you mean. My husband and I own a home, too (which we are also renting out) so this has all been a bit of a new experience to me. I try very hard to not drop the "doberman bomb" unless they ask me, specifically what breed my dogs are. Its amazing how quickly people freak at the mention of the "D-word." When they hear that we have multiples of these viscous animals, then they seem to be sure that the dogs will not only kill all the neighbors, but somehow destroy their house, too. That's why I am trying to think of anything I can to put a landlord at ease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts