Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back when Remy was first learning to cart, I sent a video to his breeder (workingk9's). She suggested that I post it here, but someone else told me the video was boring, so I did not bother.

Remy's picture with his cart for the calender contest generated far more votes than I expected. Since there are that many folks who liked the idea of carting, I'd figured that I'd go ahead and post a video.

I tried to keep this video short so it wouldn't be too boring. There are all kinds of things you teach the dog besides just getting him conditioned to the noisy, scary, cart itself "chasing" him- tight right and left turns (sideways movement basically), waiting while the cart is loaded/unloaded, backing up, etc, etc. This video doesn't show much but it's just a short sample.

Plus of course you have all the usual dog stuff (getting them to ignore traffic, other dogs, etc). Lol, things like a steel cart getting rammed into your ankle while breaking up a dog scuffle are part of the package.

The snow makes carting a bit difficult, but he does OK in it as long as the snow isn't too deep.

hGpeP_obFBA

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
This is so facinating to me! I have seen a number of videos of Rotts and other multi purpose dogs doing carting but never a Doberman. He looks great and happy to do it. Perhaps I am a little biased, but I think it is really great what you have taught him. A "wroking" dog for sure!

He is a smart cookie and you are a good trainer.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Great video, very cool! I have never really watched dogs pulling carts before, it looks really fun to train!

Reactions: adhahn

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,619 Posts
Omg I loved the video. He seems to really enjoy working with you. He's also very handsome. :butfly:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
adhahn - I really liked seeing the carting video, with your Remington.

I could tell in the first 10 seconds, that your boy really likes this work and helping Dad with the task at hand.
He practically runs, for the harness...LOL...and that is what was so special, seeing his honest willingness.
And yes, getting into the cart, turns and backing up, etc...all added to the fun of watching your boy...and gives him an added job, to do.

I NEVER found the video BORING, and for someone to suggest that...just pretty sad, is all I can say !!

I see your from Alaska, some of us will probably never get there.
- so if you have more pics. of Remy in your countryside/landscape...that would be another treat

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Great job, Remy!

Too cool. I had started trying to cart-train Delta but didn't get very far. Did you have a trainer or did you just do this on your own?

·
Registered
811 Posts
What a great video of Remy working with cart! I think Remy actually backs into the parking spot better than I do with my car :) Did you make the cart and harness or did you buy them?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Very nice, he looks like he loves it. The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog club offers carting trials for all breeds. Have you thought about looking into that, and showing off Doberman versitility?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I enjoyed your video. Remy looks like he's having fun.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
What an awesome video! Awe...when he turns his head to see you when you are strapping him up. He is such a good worker and is definately focused on you! His backing in capabilities are awesome!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I don't think it is boring at all. I love it! When I was a kid, I used to have to rake the leaves in the yard and haul them to the compost pile. I taught our family Dobe to pull the box around. I would fill it with leaves and she would pull it to the compost pile. Made raking leaves much more fun. LOL!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is so facinating to me! I have seen a number of videos of Rotts and other multi purpose dogs doing carting but never a Doberman. He looks great and happy to do it. Perhaps I am a little biased, but I think it is really great what you have taught him. A "wroking" dog for sure!

He is a smart cookie and you are a good trainer.
And you are an awesome breeder! :nicejob: Remy is definitely a smart cookie and he has a very good work ethic. I don't know if you noticed, but he was ready to roll before I could get everything hooked up!

Reactions: workingk9s

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m glad you folks enjoyed the video! This wasn’t the original video that was called boring. That video had Remy making turns back and forth & around objects, and several minutes of stopping to load and unload some items off the cart. The person who said it was boring didn’t think people would be interested in watching a dog stop and go then walk around stuff again and again.

Kelsa- I made the cart out of an old bed frame, some electrical conduit and a couple wheels left over from another project. The harness is Remy’s store bought agitation harness that I added a couple pieces to. The harness would not be appropriate for pulling heavy loads, but it is fine for what we are doing.

Leliel- We train on our own.

Rosemary- If we happened to be coincidentally traveling somewhere where carting trials were occurring then we would enter just for fun. We would not travel somewhere specifically for a carting trial though.

avainantics- Teaching your dog to pull the leaf box around reminds me of what got us started carting. The first time I traveled with Remy, I carried his Xtra Large crate around through parking lots, airport terminals, etc. and I got to thinking “This is stupid. I have a working dog on a leash and I’m carrying his crate. Next time we travel I’m going to put wheels on the crate and HE can pull his own darn crate around. “

Beaumont67- Picture taking comes in spurts with me. I’ll try to post some more. Lol, you probably have lots of interesting countryside/landscape in Ontario too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts