Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my dismay, Kaiser has taken to releasing his anal glands what seems like all the time... as you can imagine, this is very unpleasant. He simple turns around and gnaws on his back side until they release. He does this multiple times a week and sometimes even more than once a day.

This is obviously abnormal, but is it something to be concerned about? Or is it just... something weird and gross he does?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Some dogs can't release their anal glands when they go no. 2. If left alone, they can become infected or impacted. Chase cannot release his by himself, I know when it needs to be done because he will begin gnawing at his tail. I would recommend you go to the vets to get them squeezed, you need to know how much pressure to apply, too much can rupture the gland. I do chases usually once a month.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Rachael has released hers a few times while just standing there... she's not concerned about anything... there is just a little twitch and fluid is expelled backwards in a small jet that goes several feet. My vet hasn't had exprience with a dog doing this, and her glands were pretty much empty of fluid/material when he checked. Luckily, I am pretty sure this has only happened outside! I would mention this to your vet to be on the safe side, but I think some dogs are just weird...

Anal gland infections are not any fun at all and can lead to ruptures, which are even less fun. If there is any chance that this is an issue, your vet can fill the anal glands with antibiotic ointment a couple of times a week apart and that should take care of it.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He typically does it when he's laying on the floor at my feet or on the couch next to me (joy), so I can't imagine he'd be nervous or anything. We haven't changed anything around the house or in our routine, and we haven't changed his food.

Thanks, everybody! I'll put a call into the vet and see what they have to say.

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
Try feeding some canned pumpkin with his food. I would start off with maybe 3 or 4 Tblspns at first. Sometimes the extra fiber keeps things "flowing". The clinic staff sees it a lot. Nervous dogs being lifted onto exam table= anal gland juice on smock, clothes and walls. Thus we always keep a change of clothes at the clinic. Not very pleasant to be smelling AG juice all day on yourself.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
When I worked for the vet, we had several dogs who came in pretty often so I could express their anal glands..they were usually big dogs too. One lab in particular had to have hers expressed often or they would get really nasty. I would get him checked out. Wouldn't hurt to have a vet check them.

·
Got mutt?
13,851 Posts
Does he ever "scoot" on his bottom? Some dogs will do that when their anal glands are full. I would definitely talk to your vet. My Lucky had to have his removed, due to recurring infections. After the fourth abcess, my vet said he'd be better off without them. I think he was about 3 or 4 at the time.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Cujo has an issue with his anal glands. I know when he was younger they would express when something really scared him. But about a yr ago they were really bothering him. Which he was older, maybe around 6yrs. He runs around looking towards the back after he poops, tries to climb up me and is just right up in your face. Trying to tell me something is wrong...please help!! I thought it was another UTI. But no it wasnt. I talked about some of his behaviors with the vet and he decided to check his glands. Poor baby they were infected and FULL! The vet tramatized my poor baby. Within 2 weeks we were back. This time I asked that he show me how to do it. Which he did. I emptied them about once every two to three weeks. They still had a white pasty type stuff in it most of the time. He just had surgery on Dec 1st...so called b/c they have to put him under. They cauterized his anal glands. But to no avail poor baby last week was acting all upset again. Trying to tell me there was something wrong. In the shower he went and yes they were full again. So I guess I will keep having to empty them.

I would get him to the vet to have it checked out. I would also get him to show you how to do it. Cujo is much more comfortable with me doing it than the vet. In the begining I did have to restrain him some but now he will stand with some movement but overall lets me just get it done and over with. Then he is very happy and running around!

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He never drags his butt or scoots, just gnaws on his tail/butt until they express.

I'll try and get into the vet early next week :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts