Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me an Michael have discussed lots of times over about getting a rescue dog....It wont be for while yet ..defiantly not in the very near future. But there just a few questions which i have ..

Harvey is absolutely fabulous with other dogs and has an excellent temperament around them. We would like to find an older dog roughly the same size/medium build with a short coat etc great with others dogs, enjoys long walks and so on and has a great temperament

Would we be better to have a female or male?..Harvey has played many times with both sex of all shapes and sizes and shows no aggression towards either..but i understand one sex may get on better with a male dog~ Would we be better to have a female or male?..

How did your 1st dog adapt to a new member in the household?

:)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Ha! Petrie nearly came unglued when I brought Chihiro home! But he's not the most stable dog ever to walk the face of the earth :) In fact, he's a neurotic mess that we love dearly. We've had Chi now for right at 3 months and for the most part they get along quite well but I do not leave them together alone. If we're not home they're both crated: mostly because Chi is now 3.5x's the size of poor little Petrie and I worry about him getting hurt if they get to playing too rough.
From my experience and what I've read about dogs in general and Dobe's specifically, you'd probably be better off adopting a female. Harvey may get along well with male playmates but he may become a bit unnerved when that playmate never goes home and he's expected to share all of his stuff all of the time. And who's to say that the male you adopt would get along well with another male...
But I think it's a great idea! I know you're worried about going back to work and leaving Harvey alone: now he can have a buddy to share his day with! :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:D well i have been surfing the web for a long time looking at rescue pages and there is one girl that caught my eye..she is a 9 yr old dalmation called Dotty and is an all round fantastic dog ..no behavioural problems etc ..she has been on the same site for a long time now and has not been offered a home..it seems people arent all that keen on her ..and i have no idea why ..her profile is excellent ..great with other dogs, not to keen on cats ,housetrained, obedience trained. speyed all her jabs etc ..not sure whether its because it says she needs alot of exercise that puts people off *shrugs* the amount i take Harvey out she will be dead on her feet lol. Its says she is alittle stubborn and will need a firm 'handed' owner ..but all dalmations are pretty stubborn lol :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol thats if i ever get to ..its a great dog centre they they treat all potential owners as individual cases as they realise people work these days and in most cases keep their dogs outside but that doesnt mean they dont get a loving home.. alot of sites i visit they wont even consider you if you work.

I quickly mentioned her (Dotty) to michael over the phone but he is gonna take abit more work ..its something we both ahve to agree on :).. we both definatly dont want a puppy so atleast thats something we agree on ..i think they are cute but we like the older more mature dog :)

this is her pic ..i think shes beautifull :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
She is beautiful! Just a thought, take Harvey to meet her too after you meet her, so he is meeting her in a neutral place instead of his own territory. Even if he does get along well with other dogs, it may help the adjustment time for both of them.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Harley came into the household when Scrappy was already here. He was a year old. It went well, we had him stay in the crate for a while the first evening(he was really stressed, he hadn't had the best of a life before us) and they sniffed through the wire for a while. After he calmed down. It was fine. We just kept an eye on them, and didn't let them be alone together for quite a while. They had a small scuffle here and there, but all worked out well, and it is now nearly 5 years later.

They were both fine with Lexus coming in.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
good luck and let us know what happens!

just a warning, i dont know if things are as strict in the Uk as they are in the US, but most rescues in the Us will not adopt to you if you have an intact animal at home. it may be different in the UK though...

keep us updated!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Aaawww Twinkletoes, Dotty looks gorgeous. She's probably been in Rescue for a while due to her age. At 9, Dotty has quite a few good years left in her yet. I think it's a great idea to get an older girl. Good luck with your decision.:)

Dalmation :
A dog of a largeof a large white short haired breed with dark spots. Name from Dalmatia, a region in Croatia. He has a great stamina and rarely barks and is somewhat distant toward strangers, making him a good watchdog.
Native- Former Yugoslavia
Height- 22 - 24 inches
Weight- 24-25kg
Colour- Pure white with black or liver brown spots.
Coat- Short, fine, dense and close.
Temperament- Alert, energetic, athletic.
Life Span- 11-13 years

·
Registered
133 Posts
A Dalmatian!! I want one! I almost bought a 15 week old last week (covers Apollo's ears) most adorable puppy I've ever seen! A girl was selling her for $20 because she just didn't have as much time to raise a puppy as she thought. I swear it took all my self control not to! But I have definitely put them on my list of dogs I'd like to have in the future. I just had to share...Great choice!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol lovemydobie ...i kept looking at Harvey last night and asking if would like a special lady to cuddle up to .. he looked at me totally bewildered :) wow a dalmation $20 quite risky but could have been and excellent dog it would have took alot for me to have let that one go lol

I have always loved Dalmations but lacking in breeding around here ,theres a few available but are mainly in puppy farms :( and im not going near those places. Also when theres a beautifull girl like that looking for somewhere to spend her last few years i would gladly give her a home.

The only down fall is that they may not rehome her to this area..she lives up the other end of the country and want to rehome her close by..im waiting to hear back but the woman said to not get my hopes up :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts