Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,,

Today I've Just removed the posts from my dog ears but a lot of hair came on the tape so how should i prevent this issue?

and how long should the post stays on the dog ears before removing it ? and how long should the ear have rest before re-tapping again?

Thanks in advance ,,

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I use back-wrapped posts so the post stuck to the inside of the ear. If it was properly wedged down into the ear, I only had to use two small pieces of tape to hold the post. One at the base and one at the tip. To remove the tape, I used adhesive remover or have even coated the hair side of the ear with powder. The adhesive remover works great. I used the surgical kind, not the over the counter kind from a hardware store. I like the less offensive odor in the surgical adhesive remover. You can order it online from a pharmaceutical supply house or online drug store. I like the packets.

Unless you are removing so much hair it is leaving the ear bald, the hair will grow back. The adhesive remover will make the removal of the tape less painful for the puppy.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Get adhesive remover! The first time I did Diesels ears he had so much hair come off and now with this remover it slides right off but you can only order it online. I got mine off amazon and it's safe for the puppies :)

Diesel keeps his post in for about 4 days unless something is wrong then sometimes onlym2 but they dont bother him anymore do we keep the, in 4-5 days with an hour break in between so they can air out after being cleaned.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use baby powder, tons of it on the backs of the ears. I may have to change ear wraps more often but I've never had any issues with hair loss. I also use really really sticky tape.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ahmed, the name of the adhesive remover is Unisolve. You should be able to find it on Amazon or by internet search. I left my boys ears taped for 5 days. He would usually pop a post out after 5 or 6 days, anyway. I also dusted the fur side/outside of his ears with BFI powder. You could use baby or Gold Bond powder. I would dust the outside, then flip the ears back and forth to dust off the excess, then put posts in and tape them. You can either use Unisolve or powder, you dont need both. There is a good instructional Sticky above on how to tape ears. I do advise against using the colored vetwrap as it really serves no purpose, continues to tighten after being put on so can cut off circulation to the ears. I did post on your first thread with posting advice, but maybe you read it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts